PDA

View Full Version : Leather = STINKY

Jim Dornon
01-29-2008, 4:56 PM
I just engraved my radio strap I use in the Fire Department. Man O Man is that stuff stinky. Reminds me of a patient we had who was electrocuted with 15,000 volts. :(

Joe Pelonio
01-29-2008, 6:01 PM
It is stinky, I always think about the old cowboys branding the cattle.

Bill Cunningham
01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I just did a group of large (optima bold) 1.125" high x 5" long letters on a thick belt for a movie prop.. The belt was about 1/8" thick, and they wanted it about 1/6 deep.. Leather is as tough to engrave as hardwood, sometimes tougher.. It took several passes to get the depth without excess charing, and the whole shop had that wonderful aroma of deep fried cow (skin on)... I didn't want to go out side, sniff around and look obvious, but I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed it anyway.. Yum!! You want fries with that? I usually tell my customers I can engrave or mark leather, but I also tell them there is no way of knowing what colour it will turn when engraved.. It all depends on what the cow had for breakfast on the worst day of it's life! :D

Sandra Force
01-30-2008, 3:18 PM
Spray the leather with vinegar based windex after engraving and it will cut the smell down. I haven't tried straight vinegar yet but I think that would work too except you might not like that smell any better.:D

Gary Hair
01-30-2008, 4:01 PM
I cut some leather recently and fortunately the exhaust system sucked the smell outside. I had to put the pieces I cut in the garage until the customer showed up to get them...

Gary

Larry Bratton
01-30-2008, 6:52 PM
Before I engrave leather, I seal it with a product from Tandy called Neatlac. It prevents it from smearing when you clean up after lasering. I can't say that it helps the smell, but it helps the overall results.

Daryl Barberousse
01-30-2008, 9:51 PM
Come on guys! Nothing like the smell of leather.

Mike Null
01-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Larry

That's a good point. I seal mine with johnson's paste wax.

Kerry Smith II
01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
I tried bone and antlers today, that stunk to high heaven.