PDA

View Full Version : Wood choice - painted anyway

Malcolm Wheeler
01-29-2008, 4:40 PM
I have to make a headboard for a bed, which will be painted white, hence there is no reason to go for an expensive wood with a fancy grain pattern. The only load bearing part of this are the legs and the rails.

NOTE of importance - I don't possess a planer - so I have to try and get final size...

To save money, I was thinking of using 3/4 inch baltic ply (two or three layers for the legs, one for the stiles and rails) and then half inch MDF for the panels.

Or should I just use cheap pine? Or MDF for everything (strong enough in three layers for the legs? Too heavy?)

My concerns are that the ply will not take a router roundover bit and at the same time end up with smooth edges, and that MDF will be impossible to keep smooth on the edges with a water based finish...

What say you? What is the cheapest material that will give a smooth finish and last a good couple of years?

Larry Fox
01-29-2008, 4:56 PM
Tough spot with no planer. If It were me, I would go with some poplar from the BORG or buy some roughcut poplar and have it jointed / planed somewhere (lumber yard perhaps) and use that for most places and MDF for the panels. For finish on the MDF, I would give it a coat or two of shellac before painting.

George Bregar
01-29-2008, 7:01 PM
Poplar here too.

Charles Wiggins
01-29-2008, 7:58 PM
I'd go with Poplar & MDF.

Jason Roehl
01-29-2008, 8:39 PM
I agree with the poplar/MDF suggestion. MDF is fine for panels and such, but does not do well as structural members (chips easily and can sag). Plywood also doesn't tend to take profiles well, so should also be relegated to panel usage, too.

You might find usable wood at the Borg, but if you can find a hardwood lumber supplier in your area, it might even be a little cheaper to buy from them in the rough and pay the extra fees to have them plane two sides and joint one edge.

Jim Becker
01-29-2008, 8:41 PM
I'll pile on. Poplar or soft maple for the legs and the MDF for the panel. Great combination for something that will be painted and the wood in the legs makes for easier and more durable long term connection to the rest of the bed.