PDA

View Full Version : Turned Corian Box ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
while being in the experimental mood, I took the layers of laminated corian I glued up the other day and turned this larger lidded box. I still have to finish and polish, but it's looking okay for the first one tried. It's 4" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall, including the lid. I laminated two pieces of green, a strip of tan and another green for the bottom, and three green for the lid. They were done just like I do the wooden boxes. I rough cut a circle on the bandsaw, then I put them on a faceplate, turned a tenon and then put them in my chuck. I turned the outside, then reversed and hollowed the inside. I then did the same for the lid. I'm gluing up other colors now, for three ladies at work that want one already. The turning fun never seems to end. On another note (gloat) my neighbor brought me some large pieces of white birch for the woodpile, already anchorsealed. Thanks for looking.

John Miliunas
03-04-2004, 1:22 PM
Very neat, Ron! How are you attaching to the faceplate? Double-side tape or are you drilling and screwing them? It's not that you already have a market for them, as well! Way to go. :cool:

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-04-2004, 3:24 PM
Very neat, Ron! How are you attaching to the faceplate? Double-side tape or are you drilling and screwing them? It's not that you already have a market for them, as well! Way to go. :cool:

Thanks John ... On this one, I just pre-drilled and used screws ... I'm going to try the double sided tape for the next one. It should work fine and be easier to get off the corian than it is wood. I'm looking forward to making some nice items with these glued up pieces.

John Miliunas
03-04-2004, 4:53 PM
Thanks John ... On this one, I just pre-drilled and used screws ... I'm going to try the double sided tape for the next one. It should work fine and be easier to get off the corian than it is wood. I'm looking forward to making some nice items with these glued up pieces.

Thanks for the info, Ron! It'll be a while, as I've got just one or a couple other projects to tend to, but I'll "file" that info for future use, as I still have quite a bit of Corian hangin' around here myself. Let us know how the double-sided tape works. :cool:

Ted Calver
03-04-2004, 9:18 PM
Ron,
That's a really nice looking piece. Hope you post some pics after you get it polished.