PDA

View Full Version : latest batch of pens

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-29-2008, 2:23 PM
i finally made some time to sit down and process these pics from the last batch of pens in 2007.

comments and critiques are welcome.

thanks for looking.

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-29-2008, 2:24 PM
here are the final three pics.

Paul Engle
01-29-2008, 2:37 PM
Jeffery very nice ... which one can I borrow ??? for a while :rolleyes:...Excellent , very well done indeed.Almost .... makes me want to try that part of the vortex.....:eek:, but my wife sees waaaa happend when i got bit by the segmenting bug.... there truly is no hope:D

Ben Gastfriend
01-29-2008, 3:36 PM
Wow! Those are beautiful! Really nice finish on that acyrlic! GREAT JOB!

robert hainstock
01-29-2008, 4:04 PM
Excerptional work Jeff. tell us please how you finished them up.:):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2008, 4:38 PM
Very impressive work Jeffrey! Beautiful pens and presentation! Also nice work on the photography!

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2008, 5:22 PM
Those are beauties Jeffery. I really do like the first one though. Well done.

Mike A. Smith
01-29-2008, 5:55 PM
Wow! I refuse to pick a favorite from the pictures, send'em all to my house and I'll let you know in a few years.

Jon Lanier
01-29-2008, 6:43 PM
Super nice pens! Beautiful photography as well. :)

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-29-2008, 9:04 PM
all--

thanks for the kind words. i appreciate the feedback.

Excerptional work Jeff. tell us please how you finished them up.:):)
Bob

bob--

the acrylics are wet sanded to 400 grit with wet-n-dry sand paper. that is followed by wet sanding and polishing with micro-mesh pads (1500 grit thru 12000 grit). i keep a small bowl of water next to the lathe and continually rinse the micro mesh. i use each pad for about two minutes before moving on to the next grit. i keep the lathe speed at 1200 rpm to avoid heat build up. i keep the pads moving to avoid excessive radial sanding marks.

the most important part of sanding and polishing is to make sure that you stop the lathe, rinse the pads and the parts and then wet sand the acrylic along the axis of the barrel until you remove all of the radial sanding marks. you must get rid of all of the radial marks before moving on to the next grit, or the finish will not be as good as it could have been.

after the micro mesh, i polish with meguire's plastic polish. i do this about three times. i use small strips from an old tee shirt to apply and remove the polish.

finally, i apply two or three coats of rennaissance wax for protection. this is also done with strips of tee shirt material.

Very impressive work Jeffrey! Beautiful pens and presentation! Also nice work on the photography!

Super nice pens! Beautiful photography as well. :)

thanks steve and jon. i am using jamie donaldson's phrugal photo tent design. it's worked well, so far.

Tom Sherman
01-30-2008, 2:41 AM
Lookin good Jeff.

Mick Zelaska
01-30-2008, 3:06 PM
Two of the passions I have in life are turning pens and photography and from what I can see you have excelled at both. Absolutely beautiful work on both accounts. I particularly like your matching of the acrylic color to the pen finish. Great attention to detail.

I just started turning acrylic a few weeks ago and really like the results.

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-30-2008, 3:16 PM
Two of the passions I have in life are turning pens and photography and from what I can see you have excelled at both. Absolutely beautiful work on both accounts. I particularly like your matching of the acrylic color to the pen finish. Great attention to detail.

I just started turning acrylic a few weeks ago and really like the results.

WOW! thanks for the nice compliment, mick!

i'm kinda speechless...:o