PDA

View Full Version : Need a bowl gouge

John Cooper2
01-29-2008, 1:31 PM
Have played with some spindle work and having fun with it.

Need to get some chisels for bowl work.

would like to spend no more than $100.00

Do I get a real good one or a couple decent ones.

Seams like allot of people have a favorite and stick with it for most everything.

Lathe is older Delta 1460 and a Ricon mini so I won't be doing anything big.

could turn a handle if that helps.
Think I have a 10% off tag from Woodcraft at the moment.

Brodie Brickey
01-29-2008, 2:04 PM
John,

I would recommend you look at the Pinnacle line and a 3/8 inch bowl gouge or the 1/2 inch gouge. You won't want to go any bigger than that and I'd lean as a start toward the 3/8" gouge. Should be reasonably priced around $45-60. I don't know about your WoodCraft, but mine gives a 10% discount for belonging to the local woodworking club, your franchise may vary.

Tony De Masi
01-29-2008, 2:12 PM
My personal favorite the the Crown Pro PM with the Ellsworth grind on it. It barely makes into your budget but with the 10% from WC you can easily do it. Also, if you are willing to make your own handles many folks are using the Thompson gouges which come unhandled. They have received very favorable reviews here on the Creek.

Tony

Pete Jordan
01-29-2008, 2:57 PM
I vote for Ellsworth PM

David Walser
01-29-2008, 3:02 PM
Here's a link to Craft Supplies USA's Artisan line of bowl gouges:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Artisan__ _Artisan_Bowl_Gouge___art_bowl?Args=

You can get them with either a regular grind (at the link) or an "Irish grind". I suggest you start with a regular grind and then experiment with more back swept options as you gain experience.

Artisan's CSUSA's "inexpensive" line of bowl gouges. The tools are made by Henry Taylor (a top-line manufacturer) out of quality steel.

The Crown Pro line is very good, but it is much more expensive and not where I'd encourage a new turner to go. You are going to need to learn how to sharpen your gouge and you are going to want to try different grinds. It's easier to waste away your tool at the grinder if you've not spent a fortune on it. (Besides, the Pro line is made out of "powdered steel", which is harder and more difficult to grind.) Once you've learned how to sharpen your gouge and have settled on the grind(s) you want, you might want to splurge on a more expensive gouge or two -- but you won't need too based on having "outgrown" the Artisan gouge.

Gordon Seto
01-29-2008, 3:13 PM
There were plenty of discussion like this one:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70611
Just do some search.

Frank Kobilsek
01-29-2008, 3:32 PM
John

Brodie gave you the right sizes and David gave you the best brand. You'll get both for under $100. Then just get some green wood and go to town. Enjoy

Frank

robert hainstock
01-29-2008, 4:10 PM
Less than $60.00 for the 1/2 in. Do you have the wolverine, or PSI grinding jig? Very important.:)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2008, 5:26 PM
You can get a Thompson 1/2" and a 3/8" for less than $100. They stay sharp longer than any others I have used. Try this. http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

Dave Stoler
01-29-2008, 5:49 PM
Go with the thompson..

Brian McInturff
01-29-2008, 7:07 PM
Thompson by all means.

Don McIvor
01-29-2008, 8:46 PM
Pile on!

If you bought the Thompson 3/8 and 1/2 and made your own handles you'd have very high value for your dollars and come in close to your budget. Doug's tools are outstanding. I do sharpen mine free hand, though I'm sure I'd love the wolverine jig if I had one.

I also have the Ellsworth gouge. In my opinion it has a steep learning curve, and I didn't really figure it out until I bought one of Ellsworth's instructional videos (Mick O'Donnell's DVD also gives a lot of helpful insight into cutting with this type of grind). I still like the Ellsworth gouge, but for some reason it doesn't perform well in all species of woods, at least for me. I find the Thompson gouges to produce a good surface in a wider array of woods.

Now your challenge will be to figure out whether you want the U or the V shaped gouge...

John Cooper2
01-29-2008, 8:52 PM
Thanks for all of the replies,

I have the Jet slow speed wet sharpener (like tormek) just have to figure it out....
I have to admit that I heading the Thompson direction, I had an idea about getting the 3/8 & 1/2.

Just sold some stuff a have $100.00 in the Paypal acct. Think I will have to go that direction.

Thanks again for the help

William Bachtel
01-29-2008, 9:33 PM
My vote is with Doug Thompson. I just got four of them,, and I am very pleased. Price was right, and the tool is great.