PDA

View Full Version : Workbench materials

Jerome Hanby
01-29-2008, 1:20 PM
I'm about to the point where I can start building a good workbench. I'm going to use beech counters glued up to be three inches thick for the top. Doing a quick drawing to let me estimate the amount of 8/4 material I need for the base (shoulder vise,5 legs, 2 long stretchers, 2 short stretchers, framing out the top) looks like about 80 bf of 8/4 figuring the width to be about 6 inches. I would love to be way overestimating:)!

In the Birmingham, AL area, hard maple is going to run me about $4.90 a board foot for 8/4. Any idea or suggestions (or better yet corrections)?

Thanks!

Thomas Knighton
01-29-2008, 1:33 PM
Before you build a bench, check out Chris Schwarz's book Workbenches. It may help you out a great deal in regards to wood selection.

Just a friendly suggestion ;)

Tom

Scott Loven
01-29-2008, 1:55 PM
I have some 8/4 Ash that I just purchased to make a bench out of, paid $1.50/bf.

Tom Veatch
01-29-2008, 2:31 PM
Strongly second the other Tom's suggestion. Also in that part of the country, SYP should be readily available. Although beech is traditional, the reasons for that traditional selection don't really apply in this part of the world (ref. Schwarz's book). You'd be hard pressed to improve on SYP for bench material.

Chris Padilla
01-29-2008, 2:57 PM
For a fun and challenging idea, make your bench top all end-grain! :)

I got a hold of a buncha 18"x36" maple "island countertops" and plan to do this. Should be interesting....

Bill White
01-29-2008, 3:55 PM
I cheated!!!! Got the oportunity to get my hands on a good length of hard maple bowling alley. Sweet!! Been pounding on that sucker for almost 15 yrs. now.
Bill

Jesse Cloud
01-29-2008, 4:15 PM
Sounds like a sensational bench. If you are looking to save a few bucks, here's some thoughts....

3 inches is way thick, not sure it adds that much. I went with 2 inches on top and a three inch apron.

As far as the base is concerned, you want some mass, but it doesn't need to be fancy wood. Mines poplar with a plywood shelf.

Jerome Hanby
01-29-2008, 4:31 PM
I've never worked with Ash, how does it compare to using maple for the workbench base?

Jerome Hanby
01-30-2008, 1:25 PM
Funny you mention that book, i ordered it on Monday this week...

Before you build a bench, check out Chris Schwarz's book Workbenches. It may help you out a great deal in regards to wood selection.

Just a friendly suggestion ;)

Tom

Jerome Hanby
01-30-2008, 1:33 PM
The reason for beech and the thickness is that I can get a 1.5 inch thick 6+ foot x 39+ inch counter top from Ikea for about $200. If I rip it in half lengthwise and glue it up stacked vertically, I think I get a pretty good core for the top for my money.

I started thinking about SYP after I got the price for the maple. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think my skill, endurance, or sanity is up to trying to make a top from all end grain :eek:.

I like working poplar and I think I can get a decent price on it, definitely something to consider.

Thanks for all the good info!

Steven Wilson
01-30-2008, 2:35 PM
Besides maple, I would look at birch, poplar, ash. All would make good leg/structure material. You should also consider gluing up 4/4 stock to give you the 8/4 you need. You might also consider finishing the legs with milk paint followed by BLO. Milk paint is tough stuff and you can use it to show off some grain or hide it completely. It also contrasts nicely with a natural top.

Craig Stevens
02-03-2008, 8:58 AM
Another thing you might try to save a few $$$ is instead of using hard maple for the base, use soft maple. Less expensive, but plenty tough enough and will still give you the weight you need.

-Craig