PDA

View Full Version : What do you use the right ext on TS for?

Eric Gustafson
01-29-2008, 1:06 PM
I have a guide/circular saw that I use for sheet goods and would never use the TS for large sheet goods again. In another thread, "36 or 52 inch rails?", several people really like the extra space, but did not mention what they need the space for. I wonder, other than cutting wider sheet goods, why do you need the long rails?

Jason Beam
01-29-2008, 1:27 PM
Under my 30" fence rails, it turns out my mini fridge fits perfectly. So that's what's under mine.

Greg Stanford
01-29-2008, 1:31 PM
I have a router mounted in mine.

g

Lee Schierer
01-29-2008, 1:33 PM
Mine mostly collects stuff. Parts that have already been cut, scrap, tape measures, pencils, square, etc...

Lee Koepke
01-29-2008, 1:51 PM
Exactly what the other Lee said.

I intended to put a router station in there, but never got around to it. I have cut a few pieces over 30", but not much. Nothing safe or accurate about one person manuevering a 3/4" full sheet of plywood anywhere near a spinning blade !!

Larry Fox
01-29-2008, 2:08 PM
I am in the sme boat as the Lees although I do sometimes process sheet-goods on the TS.

Greg Heppeard
01-29-2008, 2:09 PM
Mine copies both Lees

Tom Veatch
01-29-2008, 2:27 PM
... I wonder, other than cutting wider sheet goods, why do you need the long rails?

Got the long rails. Don't cut sheet goods on the table saw - too cumbersome and awkward, use a shop built panel saw instead. Makes a good table for staging stock, small assembly, holding cutoffs and other clutter, and as a "roof" for a cabinet to hold all the table saw related stuff - blades, jigs, setup blocks, zero clearance inserts, etc. As far as the fence goes, it's rarely on that part of the rails beyond 30" except to get it out of the way for crosscutting - much of which is done on a SCMS anyway.

James Wellman
01-29-2008, 4:03 PM
I have 52" rails and built a mobile saw station based on a design from Danny Proulx so I have storage underneath and in my shop it will also double as my workbench. I currently just cover it with heavy paper to keep the glue and junk off my cast wings and when I lock all 8 wheels it does not budge.

James

Larry Anderson
01-29-2008, 7:13 PM
Mine collects stuff and holds up the rip fence.

Jim Becker
01-29-2008, 8:46 PM
Storage. :D

Seriously, for a saw that one regularly cuts larger panels, the right-side extension does make a bit of sense. But I'm considering cutting mine down on my slider as I really do not need that "capacity" in that direction and could use a foot and a half more lateral space in my shop in exchange.

John Thompson
01-29-2008, 8:56 PM
A 6 HP Shop Vac sits permanently under mine. The 2 1/2" runs up and over-head.. over.. and down to catch dust above while the stand-alone 6" cyclone hose enters the rear main port.

Sarge..

Nancy Laird
01-29-2008, 8:59 PM
We have the 50" fence and rails, because we process sheet goods on our Unisaw in conjunction with the Excalibur sliding table. And hubby has built a cabinet under that right wing to hold blades, push blocks and sticks, and wrenches.

Michael Lutz
01-29-2008, 9:01 PM
I will have my router mounted in the extension table soon. I have only had the router and lift for a few years. Usually I use it for assembly and finishing area. Underneath there is some storage which will become more organized in time. It also serves to support long stock on the RAS.

Mike

Roger Bull
01-29-2008, 9:21 PM
It is not a place to put stuff - it is a 'staging area'.

No matter how much gets piled on and how bad it looks, I am sure that I will need everything there at any moment. :p

I do use it for sheet goods once in a while but then I need to clean it off first.

-Roger

Lee Koepke
01-29-2008, 9:32 PM
plus, it looks cool :cool:

harry strasil
01-30-2008, 8:02 AM
don't have extensions on my TS, it shopmade. table is 48" wide or so. have a router mounted under the left side, I use the right side for cutting etc.

George Summers
01-30-2008, 8:11 AM
I'm in the middle. My saw has a 30" fence and I was finding that I ocassionally needed 32", 34" or 36" (doors, longer crosscuts with a crosscut sled, etc). I moved my fence rails to the right by 6" so I now have a 36" fence which I find to fit 99.999% of my needs. I still have 6" to the left of the blade for the ocassions that I need to cut on that side.

George

Mike Goetzke
01-30-2008, 8:55 AM
Router station / storage cabinet.

Danny Thompson
01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Router and assembly table

Mike Wilkins
01-30-2008, 3:16 PM
I use the right side of my Unisaw table for storage of magazines and junk. My next saw will be a slider, so the right side capacity will be minumum (32").
I have rarely used much of the capacity (52") so it becomes useless.

Dave MacArthur
01-31-2008, 3:01 AM
52" rails. router table on right, shop vac storage below