PDA

View Full Version : PowerTwist Plus V-Belt

Joe Vee
01-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Hello,

I hear a lot of talk, (on message boards) about replacing normal v-belts with Power twist type of v-belt. What is the difference in performance? As always, Thanks

Joe

John Cooper2
01-29-2008, 1:02 PM
1. More money
2. Last forever
3. Less noise
4. Less stress on bearings
5. Less vibration
6. Cool Racing Red color.
7. WORKS

Just my .02, but trying to convert most everything I have.

Craig McDaniel
01-29-2008, 1:15 PM
Because of they are segmented, they tend to be more forgiving of slight misalignment of the pulleys and they don't take a "set" if you don't use your tools for a while.

I've put them on a couple of tools and they run noticably smoother. Other tools that are running smoothly without them won't get them until a belt breaks.

Craig

David Weaver
01-29-2008, 1:26 PM
I wouldn't put them on a machine unless you don't like a characteristic of the machine as it is. One thing about the power-twist belts is if your motor has a small pulley, you have to have a lot of tension on the belt or the pulley will eat the belt. I had that issue with a Jet 18-inch 1.75 horsepower bandsaw.

Also, don't worry about using them for larger triple-belt cabinet saws and such.

As an aside, the delta hybrid saws use a slightly different type of standard belt than a v-belt - it's less thick and easier to bend. I like it better than the power-twist belt. I have no idea what it's called, and never looked close enough to see if it requires a purpose-built pulley - I don't think it does.

Chuck Lenz
01-29-2008, 1:45 PM
I wouldn't put them on a machine unless you don't like a characteristic of the machine as it is. One thing about the power-twist belts is if your motor has a small pulley, you have to have a lot of tension on the belt or the pulley will eat the belt. I had that issue with a Jet 18-inch 1.75 horsepower bandsaw.

Also, don't worry about using them for larger triple-belt cabinet saws and such.

As an aside, the delta hybrid saws use a slightly different type of standard belt than a v-belt - it's less thick and easier to bend. I like it better than the power-twist belt. I have no idea what it's called, and never looked close enough to see if it requires a purpose-built pulley - I don't think it does.
Thats odd, my Contractors saw has a small pulley on the motor and there are no issues with the belt being eatin or the pulley. Perhaps your pulley was cast aluminum and or misalligned. As far as the Hybrid belt goes, it may be a good belt, but what is the price and availabilty of them. I use to have a Delta Motorized tablesaw many years ago that had a poly cogged belt on a cogged pulley. I started the saw up one very cold morning and the pulley stripped the cogs right off the belt. The saw was down for a few days because I had to order that special poly cogged belt, and in my opinion was a little overpriced for what it was. I ended up selling the saw because I didn't want to deal with that issue anymore, plus I got a better saw. I've never had a problem with the Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt, I'm sold on them. I'm not sure why you had the problem you had, but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be the norm.

David Weaver
01-29-2008, 2:21 PM
Thats odd, my Contractors saw has a small pulley on the motor and there are no issues with the belt being eatin or the pulley. Perhaps your pulley was cast aluminum and or misalligned. As far as the Hybrid belt goes, it may be a good belt, but what is the price and availabilty of them. I use to have a Delta Motorized tablesaw many years ago that had a poly cogged belt on a cogged pulley. I started the saw up one very cold morning and the pulley stripped the cogs right off the belt. The saw was down for a few days because I had to order that special poly cogged belt, and in my opinion was a little overpriced for what it was. I ended up selling the saw because I didn't want to deal with that issue anymore, plus I got a better saw. I've never had a problem with the Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt, I'm sold on them. I'm not sure why you had the problem you had, but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be the norm.

It's not cogged. It's like a flatter version of a v-belt. I remember thinking it was nothing special when I got it out of the box (Which brags on the belt design) until my jet bandsaw came with a belt that literally said "first auto group" on it. The delta belt is about 1/3rds the thickness and intended for 110v saws.

If I wouldn't have taken all of the pink bits out of the bottom of the bandsaw, I'd take pictures of them for you. The bandsaw is aligned as close to perfect as it could get, but to your point about the pulleys - they're probably cast aluminum and don't have the best grip. I have since nearly stood on the motor assembly on the jet saw to get a lot of pressure on it and then tightened the bolts while I was doing that. The motor doesn't sit freely like a motor does in a tablesaw, and that could be the difference. One thing is for sure - you can't let the weight of the motor determine the tension on the PT link belt on that saw, it won't be enough.

EDIT: I just checked the Delta site, and they call it a "poly v-belt". Sure beats putting a car belt on a 1.75 horsepower motor.

Edit #2 -here's a picture of the belt type. It's just a shallow v-belt, but the bottom is ribbed parallel to the length of the belt. Someone can tell me all day how much better a power-twist belt is, but this type runs smooth and has good grip and not much power loss. I have all three types of belts in my shop and I like this one the best - it has the best compromise between grip and power consumption.
http://www.mikestools.com/images/products/Delta-1340949.jpg

Bruce Wrenn
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Biggest problem with poly vee belts is getting sheaves to fit them. As for the power twist belt, only once will a pulley spin, before belt melts to a different size. Then area that was on pulley when it spun is smaller. Makes belt jump and sound like a rail car with a flat spot on a wheel. Unfortunately, I know from experience.

glenn bradley
01-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Bruce is one of two people I have heard that have negatives on the link belts. My own and all other experiences seem to be positive. Greatly reduced vibration is the immediate benefit. "They last forever" is another praise I hear a lot and would echo myself. The other bad report I heard was a spindle shaper being run REALLY hard that melted a triple set. If you use the proper size and have them installed correctly and don't try to profile 2" high by 1" deep in one pass on some hardwood (it was something like that on the shaper) I think you will be extremely pleased.

I had them on my old contractor saw (amazing difference) and have some waiting to go on my DP and jointer.

Pete Bradley
01-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Greatly reduced vibration is the immediate benefit.

I see this over and over on rec woodworking boards, and it just can't be a blanket statement. Solid belts have been used on top quality machinery for years and continue to be standard equipment for the simple reason that they deliver excellent performance. I don't dispute that link users see a benefit, but I have to believe that some of those testimonials are due to:

replacing an old belt with a link belt (any good belt would have made it better)
replacing a lumpy cheapo solid belt with a link belt (ditto)
during the replacement they adjusted tension or pulleys that were out of whack
Don't get me wrong, if you have a contractor saw or a light drill press that sits regularly, a link belt is just the ticket. I just don't buy that a link belt is better in all applications. My jointer and band saw have been running solids since day 1. Their smoothness has much more to do with adjustment than belts.

Pete

Loren Hedahl
01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I changed to PowerTwist belts on my drill press.

Vibration wasn't the issue, but it sure is easier to shift the new belt from pulley to pulley for shifting speeds.

Tom Veatch
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I changed to PowerTwist belts on my drill press.

Vibration wasn't the issue, but it sure is easier to shift the new belt from pulley to pulley for shifting speeds.

My Jet 17" DP has had a noticable and annoying vibration all the several years since it was new. Don't know what causes it, but with the belts removed and just the motor turning, it's smooth as silk.

Of course, that doesn't mean the vibration is due to the belts, but as the first step in isolating and finally getting around to dealing with the annoyance, I just placed an order for some link belts. Hope that I'll at least see the same ease of shifting speeds as you report, even if it doesn't do anything for the vibration.

glenn bradley
01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I see this over and over on rec woodworking boards, and it just can't be a blanket statement.

There must be someone out there who experienced no improvement. I agree if your belt is in need of replacement, any belt will be better. In my case; one week old high quality mono-filiment belt off, link belt on = definite improvement (this was not something you had to look for, anyone would notice). Replace original cast pulleys with machined pulleys = another notch in improvement but not near the dramatic effect of the link belt.

This was on a 1970's C-man with poor cast pulleys. The $$$ mono-belt was my first attempt to smooth him out; no real difference. Link belt was about $10 more - Ahhh. Pulleys were a bit more $$$ and I would try the link belt first as that in itself may be enough.

Chas Richter
01-30-2008, 7:26 PM
why not just buy the v belts with the notches on the inside? They are a lot cheaper than those magic power twist belts.

Michael Gibbons
01-31-2008, 8:08 AM
I got enough link belt to install on my TS, bandsaw and small lathe. Seems to have smmothed out the TS a bit. A year later, the original belts from the TS still have a set to them while hanging on the wall and its not due to gravity.

Scott Vigder
01-31-2008, 2:34 PM
My Grizz G0490 jointer gave up the original belt last month and I ordered a new, PowerTwist from Grizz.

The belt makes the machine run noticeably smoother. I used to get a little shudder when starting and stopping, but that has been completely eliminated with the new belt.

I experienced a bit more high-pitched whine, so I cannot attest to it being quieter.

If the longevity stories are true, the belt is an excellent value.

I won't replace a good belt if it is not worn, but in the future when belts need to be replaced I will purchase PowerTwists for all my machinery.

James Wellman
01-31-2008, 3:20 PM
I swapped a new regular belt and a new PowerTwist belt back and forth on my Craftsman TS and it was noticeably quieter and smoother. It made a believer out of me.

James