PDA

View Full Version : Dual Eliminator Carbide Hollowing Tool

Bobby Perry
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I have a Dual Eliminator Carbide Hollowing Tool and I can't get it to work right. Does anyone know where there are any videos of this tool being used???

Paul Engle
01-29-2008, 1:17 PM
Bobby try these stills , may give up some clues...
http://jewelwood.com/The%20Eliminator.htm

Bobby Perry
01-29-2008, 1:51 PM
I sent Mr McDaniel a email maybe he knows of some videos or can make one.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-29-2008, 6:21 PM
Bobby, I use the "Eliminator" with no problem. How is it not working right for you? I think it's one of the easiest to use hollowing tools. Are you resting the shaft on the "flat"? Are you approaching the wood at about 9 o'clock?

Bobby Perry
01-29-2008, 7:50 PM
Malcom I have approched the wood from 9, 10, and 11 o'clock and still can't seem to get it to work. It just don't want to cut. It may just be me. That is why I wanted to see a video and see how it is used. The still pictures don't do me any good. I can't believe there are no videos of this tool.

Bill Wyko
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Bobby, where are you approaching the wood? Above or below the centerline of your wood?

Bobby Perry
02-07-2008, 6:57 PM
Got in the shop today chucked up a chunk of wood and started useing this tool. Found out I had the tool rest way too high. After I presented the tool right it cuts like butter right through end grain. Very happy now. It does what they say and leaves a pretty smooth surface. I feel better now. Now I need to make something.:D

Fred Floyd
02-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Glad to hear things are going better. I've been using Jack's Eliminator for about a year for hollowing end grain. With the double sided tool, I've also been able to do some reverse turning. This makes it easier to work if you have limited space in your shop.

One thing I do before each use is to rotate the carbide cutter about 30 degrees. This gives a fresh surface for each session. So far, I have not felt the need to replace the cutter.