PDA

View Full Version : SHould I buy one of these bandsaws or wait?

Ryan Eldridge
01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi there all, well I am working on a couple of projects at using thicker hard maple and walnut, and I need to cut some curves in them. The jig saw is not really doing the job for this so I was thinking about getting a bandsaw.

My future projects would be some possible resawing, and curve cutting.

CUrrently I have looked at two used bandsaw
10 year old craftsman 12" in decent condition needs new blades ($120)

and a Delta 16" three wheel bandsaw ($175)

I have been reading about detal 16" and it seems to have some issues, or should I wait? I would like to stay in the less than $300 range for a bandsaw.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lance Norris
01-29-2008, 1:05 PM
What are the issues with the Delta? It should be a good machine for light duty. Plus it has a 16" throat. It might be underpowered for thick stock cutting, but a slow feed rate should allow it to get the job done. Maybe you could find a vintage machine on craigslist or ebay that would fit your budget and get you lots more machine for your money.

Ryan Eldridge
01-29-2008, 1:10 PM
While researching the Delta it seems the tight wheel radius is really hard on blades and makes them break, it seems like a nice machine though just looks a little different.

David Weaver
01-29-2008, 1:16 PM
Stay away from the three wheel saw.

In terms of the other two, the answer depends on what you're using them for. If you're using them for light duty cutting of a lot of softwoods, you'd get along fine with them. My dad has used two different craftsman 12" saws for years and years, and probably averaged 50 hours of cutting on them a year, cutting softwood for my mother's folk-art business (they're both retired).

If you're going to do anything heavier than that, the minimum I'd try to start with is a 1 hp heavier duty cast iron saw, which a lot of times can be had used for not much more than the cheaper price you've shown.

I'd pass on both of those unless you're a softwood crafter.

Art Mann
01-29-2008, 1:17 PM
I had a three wheeler and I could never keep a blade on the machine. If I could somehow get the blade to track stable, it would break within a few minutes of use. Maybe you will have better luck than i did, but I don't want one for free.

Brent Ring
01-29-2008, 2:17 PM
I have a Craftsman 10" currently, and am replacing it with an old Powermatic 141 14" 1hp bandsaw. Personally, I could not get the furnitture building done that I do with my 10". I was constantly running over to my neighbors house to use his 14" Jet. I think you will ultimately be dissappointed trying to use the smaller saws with hardwoods. I have been.

Just my thoughts!

Ryan Eldridge
01-29-2008, 2:56 PM
Thanks everybody. I will hold off and keep a lookout for a 14" saw. Or I just might wait for my taxes and get a brand new one.

For some reason here in Boise there are not a lot of used 14" popping up in the usual places.

Thank you again though for giving me a reality check.

Pat Germain
01-29-2008, 4:46 PM
^^ It ain't just Boise, my friend. I don't ever see any good deals on nice machinery here in Colorado. Mostly, it's just small hobby tools. When there is a nice tool, it's listed for $50 to $100 less than brand new. For those prices, I'll buy new.

scott spencer
01-29-2008, 4:50 PM
I've experienced the trials of trying make a 3-wheeler track, and they are prone to breaking blades....pass on that one.

Ryan Eldridge
01-29-2008, 5:10 PM
I know what you mean Pat, I moved here from Colorado, out there I always had a problem getting decent hardwoods, but in the Denver area there was at least a decent tool buy once in awhile. I also hear you about the prices on used stuff, if you are going to pay close to new why not get new.

I guess we will jsut have to keep looking.

Rod Upfold
01-29-2008, 5:19 PM
I have heard that the three wheeler's had a problem and the people who talked about had said a good rule was to stay away from them.

Rod

glenn bradley
01-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks everybody. I will hold off and keep a lookout for a 14" saw. Or I just might wait for my taxes and get a brand new one.

For some reason here in Boise there are not a lot of used 14" popping up in the usual places.

Thank you again though for giving me a reality check.

Just to add some credence to your decision, I sold my 12" C-man with about 150 hours on it; manual, mobile base, 3 Timberwolf blades and a half dozen Olsen blades - $125. I think you are wise to wait a bit. I never used to say this (probably because I didn't want to hear it) but I was looking hard at 14" saws for almost a year. Jumped to a 17" at the last minute and learned immediatly what taking that step to (even the entry level of) larger saws was like. Very happy.

Frank Stolten
01-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Ryan, I sent you a PM

John Bailey
01-30-2008, 5:11 AM
Ditto what others have said. I had a 3 wheeler years ago. Couldn't keep it from breaking blades and it didn't track. I don't think the saws you're looking at will cut very well through the hardwood you are going to use. A 14" is a great size for most projects and I would suggest that as a minimum. Even the cheap ones work well if set up correctly. There are many used for sale for less than $300, though it sounds as though you'd have to drive a bit. Also, for $394 you can get the Grizzly GO580 delivered. This would handle what you're planning to do far better than what you're looking at. Of course, for another $70 you can get the GO555, and on and on......

John

Ryan Eldridge
01-30-2008, 9:41 AM
I am going to hold off on the saw and wait a week or two and see what pops up on craigslist, and if nothing does probably going with a grizzly or see what kind of deals woodcraft has on a saw. I guess it is good tax time is here and a decent return should be coming my way.

I posted a wanted add on craigslist and never realized how many three wheelers are out there since I had 4 responses from people with them. I had another response though if I had the money I would jump on it, a 16" minimax,

Thank you again.

David Weaver
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
^^ It ain't just Boise, my friend. I don't ever see any good deals on nice machinery here in Colorado. Mostly, it's just small hobby tools. When there is a nice tool, it's listed for $50 to $100 less than brand new. For those prices, I'll buy new.

The same thing occurs in Pittsburgh. Every once in a while something uber-industrial will show up for a decent deal, but even then, I wonder if people make a price expecting someone to bargain (i.e., they set it a few hundred or thousand higher than what they expect to get).

What's common here is to see a lot of harbor frieght tools or old contractors saws, etc. showing up for more than they cost new -and they show up over and over and over.

I have had better luck watching for new sale deals from retailers.

Dave MacArthur
01-31-2008, 3:12 AM
Hmm. Phoenix has 14" bandsaw deals 5 times a week on CL. Just today someone is selling a Rockwell industrial 20" bandsaw, SOLID and euro framed, for $750. And there is a 32 " eurostyle industrial bandsaw for $1000 for months now. couple 3/4 hp today at $250ish, jet and rigid. Keep your eyes out. Wait.

Ryan Eldridge
01-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow Phoenix looks to be the band saw selling mecca. There is a guy selling a 18" Jet for $700 down there, it looks like it would be a nice saw to have in the shop.

I had one person respond to my bandsaw wanted add on craigslist, he want $475 cash for a 4 year old Jet JWBBS-14CS, without any accessories.

When I told him I could get it new for $20 from woodcraft the guy got a little belligerent ... so I go not think I am going to get a saw from him.