PDA

View Full Version : 14" Bandsaw or Powermatic 64a with 52" Rails

Brent Ring
01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
All,

I am stuck in a quandry here. I am hoping that you all can help. Currently I have a Ridgid TS2400LS which has server me well. I have built a 57" x57" book case with it, and a 52" x 37" media storage center as well. But I know it will not be the best long term. I have a 1973 Powermatic 141 14" bandsaw reserved at my local woodworkers shop, but I have an opportunity to get a nearly new powermatic 64A, with the 52" rails, accu-fence, and miter stop for about $400, inc. shipping. I can't have both at the same time(so the LOML says). My current bandsaw is a little craftsman 10" that is good for frustration.

Which would you coose and why? Would you wit and get a cabinet or hybrid saw? I think this would work great for me as a hobbyist. Looking for the wealth of guidance that is always here. I am in the shop about 10-15 hrs weekly - when I am not officiating hockey, or doing the 'other' job. :)
Help!

Brent Ring
01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
By the way, the wings are all cast iron on the Powermatic TS and it comes with about 15 blades as well. The Powermatic 141 BS is completely cast iron, and is rock solid....

Art Mann
01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
If you have read my recent posts, you will see that I do not believe a bandsaw of any kind is a good substitute for a good tablesaw. However, if I were in your shoes, I think I would opt for the bandsaw. From all I have read, the Ridgid is among the best of the so called "jobsite" saws and will continue to serve you well. OTOH, a bandsaw provides capabilities you do not already have. The 64A is one of the best contractor style saws you can buy, but it is still a contractor saw. I think I would hold out for a bigger upgrade - either a hybrid or cabinet saw. They offer some real advantages over the contractor style. This is coming from a satisfied contractor saw owner and user.

Brian Kent
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Good morning Brent!

Congratulations on new possibilities!

On the positive side, either one would give you a more enjoyable woodworking experience, especially in terms of stability.

10-15 hours per week sound great for a hobbiest. What provisions do you have for dust control in your shop? I don't know what the contractor's saw does for dust control beyond the possibility of a catch bag. If you do not have dust control today, then make sure any new purchase has provisions for dust control in the future.

On the bandsaw, I googled it and it looks fine for curve cuts, limited to 6-1/4" for re-saw capacity. That may be all you need or you may want to hold out for something with more capacity or that takes a riser block.

Whatever the case, either one would be a lot of fun and expand your capabilities. In my situation, I might get the bandsaw and wait for a table saw that has an enclosed base for dust control.

Brian

Roy Wall
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Brent -

That is a terrific price for the PM 64A - probably half off or better with the 52" rails.

This being said - the PM 141 is an excellent 14" band saw...if its not too expensive, I'd give it my first pick.

You can have both by sellling your current RIGID and Cman BS!! Get rid of them and get both these machines......it's only a matter of time before you sell the little band saw anyway.

Remember - if you get a cabinet saw you will need 220v - no big deal, but something else to consider.

Brent Ring
01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Believe it or not pricing is about the same. The bandsaw, w/mobile base, Kreg Fence, and a couple of blades is about $580. And I have not really owned a 'Real' bandsaw. :)

That is my plan - to sell the TS2400LS and use the money for the new TS. But I dont want to sell it until I know I have something else coming or in the fire - so to speak....

Bruce Page
01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Only you can make the final decision but if it 'twer me and the price was right, I would opt for the PM141. It’s a bullet proof BS that will serve you well. Your TS has been doing a good job for you, it’s the BS that is the weak link. I had a Craftsman 10”, 3 wheel piece of junk once and replaced it with a Delta 14” and never regretted it. You can always find another TS.
JMO

Randal Stevenson
01-29-2008, 1:44 PM
All,

I have a 1973 Powermatic 141 14" bandsaw reserved at my local woodworkers shop
Help!

The fact that it is reserved for you is something else to consider. If they held this for you, and your also considering getting a new tablesaw, they may keep their eyes open for you, from others upgrading. Keep them on your good side, and they may help you find other deals.

Roy Wall
01-29-2008, 2:17 PM
Believe it or not pricing is about the same. The bandsaw, w/mobile base, Kreg Fence, and a couple of blades is about $580. And I have not really owned a 'Real' bandsaw. :)

That is my plan - to sell the TS2400LS and use the money for the new TS. But I dont want to sell it until I know I have something else coming or in the fire - so to speak....

With that information ----- ABSOLUTELY BUY THE PM 141 !!!! Call them now and tell them to make sure and hold it - and go get it!

Brent Ring
01-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks to all opinions offered. I am going with the BS and will be patient at this point. I need to learn the capabilities of the BS as well so this will be useful education!