PDA

View Full Version : Router plate?

keith ouellette
01-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I have some .48 in. plexy glass I got for free and am going to make a new router table. Is it strong enough for a +3hp mv12 router? (or was that m12v. I can't remember.)

Chris Padilla
01-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I dunno but it sounds a bit thin and might flex too much depending on the size of it you want to use.

Do you want to make a whole router table top with it or do you want to make a base for your router?

It just sounds too thin to my ears.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
My router plate is 3/8" thick and is nearing 20 years old. It holds up a 3 hp router that I use often including panel raising. No problems. Since your plate is 1/2", it should be fine unless it's some kind of funky plastic. Mine was plexiglass. Lexan (or similar brand polycarbonate) is even stronger.

If I did it again, I would probably buy a router lift with an aluminum plate. But that's because my big belly gets in the way when I bend down to adjust my router. :)

Composite and aluminum plates are also available from sources like Woodpeckers. These plates offer starting pin holes, level adjustment and insert rings to reduce the space around the bit.

-Jeff :)

Chris Padilla
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Darn, I'm wrong again in 2008...only the 479th time thus far.... :o

Steven Wilson
01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
There use to be a number of plexiglass router plates available 5 years ago for use in router tables, not so many now and with good reason. Plexiglass tends to flex and phenolic, aluminum, or cast iron has generally replaced it. That said, 1/2 plexiglass is probably thick enough to work well. I would probably go with a comercial insert for a table though.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Chris...you're not wrong, you're just cautious. And one day when my router falls thru the table, out the side of the cabinet and routes my toes off, you'll be cautiuosly correct. :)

-Jeff :)

keith ouellette
01-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I guess i should have mentioned I have a 3/8 phenolic plate that is in my current table. The real question is... Which is better, 3/8" phenolic or 1/2" plexi glass?

Art Mann
01-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I used a 3/8" Lexan 9 X12 rectangle to suspend my M12V from the table for a couple of years and it worked well. I never experienced any sagging. i went to a commercial insert to get the replaceable different sized rings so i can change the size of the opeing. If I hadn't wanted that feature, I would still be using the Lexan. I plan to make another router table just for smaller bits and I plan on making the insert out of 3/8" Lexan. I mention the brand because I am not sure all plexiglass is the same.

Mark Federwisch
01-29-2008, 12:57 PM
1/2 " is plenty thick, I also have one that is about 3/8 and it works fine. My plate is 10"x10" and I haven't had any problem with my bosch router.

Mark

Wade Lippman
01-29-2008, 5:39 PM
Mine was plexiglass. Lexan (or similar brand polycarbonate) is even stronger.

Lexan is stronger than plexiglass, but plexiglass is more rigid. Therefore, neither is a good choice, though plexiglass is probably better.

1/2" lexan ought to be sufficiently rigid though.