PDA

View Full Version : Grr Gripper 100 or 200

jason lambert
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't wnat this to be a thread if I should get it or not i already decided I am getting two, I try to work as safe as possible and I am convinced this is the way to go.

My question is should I get the 100's or the 200's? Besides size is there a difference? Is the extra length worth it or just makes it bigger and more combersome? Mainly I will use it to control small or thin pieces.

glenn bradley
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't know that there is any size difference in the actual unit. I have a pair of 200's and I have used the large stabilizing plate once. However I would NEVER give up the Adjustable Spacer block that comes with the 200. The tool looses half its value without it. Get the 200's.

Tom Veatch
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't think there's any difference between the GR-100 (http://www.microjig.com/GR-100.htm) and GR-200 (http://www.microjig.com/GR-200.htm) except for there being two additional components in the 200. The size of the base unit is the same in both models, i believe.

I have a couple of the 200's and use them regularly. However, the vast majority of the time, I don't need or use the two additional components of the model 200. For my needs, and considering the price differential, the 100 is quite sufficient.

Well, Jason, looks like you have a couple of diametrically opposed opinions. That ought to help you make up your mind:D. It really depends on what you're doing. Most of my use is face jointing and ripping wider stock. If I did much ripping of stock narrower than the width of the unit, I'll agree that the adjustable spacer would be a must-have.

Just depends on how you plan to use it.

John Newell
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Agonized a little (they're not cheap) when I bought one about whether I should buy a second and whether to buy the 100 or 200. I bought a pair of the 200s because the additional parts looked useful. My experience (< one month now) is exactly the same as Glenn's, and I'd second everything he wrote.

I don't know that there is any size difference in the actual unit. I have a pair of 200's and I have used the large stabilizing plate once. However I would NEVER give up the Adjustable Spacer block that comes with the 200. The tool looses half its value without it. Get the 200's.