PDA

View Full Version : I'm Finished - I'm hanging up my tools

Joe Unni
01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
First - mods if this needs to be moved, go for it.

Well after 4 years of living my dream job, I've had to make the difficult decision to close down Unni Woodworks.

It has been a fantastic go, but I've just plain run out of money! I still firmly believe that one can earn a living building custom furniture, but I learned that you must have stores of money to aid during the ramp up period which can be very lean. For those that don't know, I got laid off from the IT world about 4 1/2 years ago with a little money in the bank and decided to start this thing. Kind of the cart before the horse. I guess looking back starting on the side may have been a more prudent decision :o.

I learned more about woodworking and business and about what I'm capable of in the last 4 years than I could have ever hoped and loved every minute of it. Certainly the input from you all along the way has been immeasureable and for that I say thank you!

Now that I've made the decision having been heavy hearted for a couple of months, I'm actually looking forward to doing something different - not quite sure what (looking toward sales) and the stability that goes with it. I'm looking forward to actually doing things around the house again and not having to worry (as much) about how the bills get paid. And I know that my wife and two little girls are feeling better and less stressed.

As basement woodworking is not an option right now, I'm cleaning out my shop so please watch for the going out of business sale in the classified section.

I'll be checking in to SMC as usual, but may be more of a provider of my experience versus asking questions.

Thanks so very much,
-joe

Oh, and for those that are in the middle of the struggle or are contemplating woodworking as a living - keep at it and be confident. Note the first line in my signature - I live by it. If you don't know what it means, look it up as the TOS preclude me from translating ;).

Don Orr
01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm sure it was a very tough decision for you. Best wishes for the future.

See ya around the Creek,

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Joe...I'm sad to hear that, but understand. It must be very hard to start up a business that produces a physical product in the US these days. Hopefully, after a stay, you go back to woodworking again, but as an enjoyable hobby.

-Jeff

keith ouellette
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Sorry for your loss but I'm glad you feel good about the decision. I've always wanted to do what you did but don't have the money or the skill to get started yet. Good luck in your new endeavours.

Chuck Lenz
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear it Joe, but I certainly understand. I tried going on my own for about 5 years refinishing antique furniture and building a few custom decks, sheds, etc. it was very frustrating for me the last couple years, and I hung it up also. I still have my tools, but alot of the passion is gone now. I think there are several factors that were against me. I don't live in a highly populated city ( 70K ). Refinishing antiques became a no no according to Antiques Road Show, the economy, and too much work for family and friends.

Mark Engel
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Very sorry to hear that things did not work out as planned.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear that Joe.

Good luck and stay in touch!

jason lambert
01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
I know the feeling I am in IT and almost left for a couple teaching positions in woodwork. I think that would be a great way to get started access to a shop, time to build cliental and a salary! Unfortinally the salary was just not one I could buy a saw stop on ;)

Anyhow it is a very tuff field but at least you gave it a shot and learned in the process and that is worth it alone even if the shop didn't take off the way you expected. I think everyone should try running there own business at some point I use to run a bike store learned more about life, money and people through that than any schooling. Again sorry to see talent leave the field.

David Tiell
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Joe,
Sorry to hear things didn't work out. Hope you rethink getting rid of everything and keep enough to do something once in a while at least. Make sure to stay in touch here.

Dave

Craig D Peltier
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Joe, sorry to hear, I have seen some of your stuff on your site and here, quite nice. Im a fellow Ma. guy who lives near Seattle now.
I build full time, I usualy only have 1-3 pieces ahead of me. I find that most (%90) have no clue how much something custom is going to cost them.
Im fortunate that my fiance has a good job and can afford to pay most of the bills. I know in the future I may have to find a more steady career which I once had in LA until I was gently pushed to live up here.
I still have a hard time with woodcrafters not making as much as a plumber, electrician , tiler, GC . Hope one day it will change but I doubt it.
Most of my biz comes off of craigslist.

Best of luck!

Glenn Clabo
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear that Joe...sorry that I never got up to the stomping grounds to visit your shop. I'm thinking you'll land on your feet running.

Now a test...do you remember our old high schools mascot?

Doug Hobkirk
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Beautiful web site. Do you think your Lawrence location might have contributed to the problem? Do you want consoling (and questioning) visitors?

Good luck in sales. Or whatever.

Larry Fox
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out Joe. Good luck with wherever life takes you next.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Joe sorry to hear about your situation. But remember that some or our most famous entrepeneurs had failure after failure before they hit it big. This is just a stepping stone to your sucessful future. The best of luck to you. Alan

Chris Padilla
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
You're richer because of this...don't doubt it one bit. Chin up, move forward!

Best of luck! :)

gary Zimmel
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Joe

I am sorry the buisness did not work out. What you have learnt I am sure you be able to use in your next venture.
Best of luck.

Sam Yerardi
01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Joe,

I'm sorry that you feel you have to make this decision. I know it must be heartbreaking.

David Giles
01-29-2008, 2:29 PM
Gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Sounds like you gave it a good shot and didn't ruin your life, marriage or attitude in the process. Good for you!

A long time back, I spent three years trying to startup a small European operation and totally failed. But the lessons learned were valuable in the next three business ventures. You'll be telling stories about this experience for the rest of your life. And you'll never regret taking the chance to do something different.

Now go make some money and have some fun.

Lee Koepke
01-29-2008, 3:09 PM
I applaud your outlook / attitude. You did something that alot of people only dream about. sorry it didnt work out career-wise.

David Duke
01-29-2008, 3:20 PM
Best of luck Joe in whatever you decided to do........just because your getting out of the WWing business doesn't mean you can't stop by and visit with us and share you wealth of experience.

Randal Stevenson
01-29-2008, 3:31 PM
Well after 4 years of living my dream job, I've had to make the difficult decision to close down Unni Woodworks.

It has been a fantastic go, but I've just plain run out of money! I still firmly believe that one can earn a living building custom furniture, but I learned that you must have stores of money to aid during the ramp up period which can be very lean. I guess looking back starting on the side may have been a more prudent decision :o.

I learned more about woodworking and business and about what I'm capable of in the last 4 years than I could have ever hoped and loved every minute of it. Certainly the input from you all along the way has been immeasureable and for that I say thank you!

(looking toward sales) and the stability that goes with it. I'm looking forward to actually doing things around the house again and not having to worry (as much) about how the bills get paid. And I know that my wife and two little girls are feeling better and less stressed.

As basement woodworking is not an option right now, I'm cleaning out my shop so please watch for the going out of business sale in the classified section.

I'll be checking in to SMC as usual, but may be more of a provider of my experience versus asking questions.

Thanks so very much,
-joe

You gave your dream a shot, that is more then most people ever do. Good job.
Shutting down from running out of money is a whole lot smarter then mounting debt, to try to keep it going (seen too many times), and is a whole lot less stress on you and your family.
I hope, and thank you for, sticking around and passing the knowledge. In our buy now and buy inexpensively economy, people (customers and sellers, etc) have no real idea the costs of things, and don't want to pay for them (no exception here since I watch for bargain alerts).
Even though basement ww isn't an option, keep what you can (if you still enjoy it). What is paid for, could at least help you with some side jobs, if sales aren't as consistent as you would like (that statement about sales and stability reads like a joke).

Brian Penning
01-29-2008, 4:08 PM
I must confess though that as someone who is just starting out stories like this aren't exactly encouraging.

Sean Troy
01-29-2008, 4:22 PM
I must confess though that as someone who is just starting out stories like this aren't exactly encouraging.

Every bodys situation is different. It doesn't mean you'll ever go through the same thing. Trying so ething new is more than half the battle won already.

Will Blick
01-29-2008, 5:24 PM
Joe, your work is excellent, that certainly was not the problem.... I am curious from your experience....

Would you say the problem was lack of interest in custom furniture, or the unwillingness of customers to accept the pricing of custom made pieces? A huge distinction. Can you try to express it as, 60/40, 80/20, ?

With the current state of the economy, I would assume the custom work in general will be in decline, at least for a few years.

Regardless, I am sure your future endeavors will be fruitful, you are obviously a very talented guy....

Marc Casebolt
01-29-2008, 5:24 PM
Joe,
I know exactly what you are going through (more or less). I recently had to shut down my own custom shop for a long list of reasons. It sucks. There is no easy way to do this, but if you know you gave it your best shot, then you can get past it. Selling all my machines was hard to do because I really dig machines, but they are gone to good homes and are still being used to make a mess some where.
I also agree that it is possible to make a living in this business. The work is out there, and when you can find a repeat customer that knows the value of custom pieces, it is a pure joy. You just need to wade through a bunch of folks who start out by complaining about how much Potery Barn charges. I always told them that when your grand kids are fighting over the custom desk, that Potery Barn POS will be in a land fill.
My experience also gave me a lot more confidence in my skills. Like you, I learned so much about woodworking, business, and my self. You can't learn all that from a book, you need to go out and do it. I wouldn't trade the last several years for anything, although I would like to get my weekends back if any one could arange that. I actually spent last week end at home with my wife! It's been a while since I felt I could do that without some feeling of guilt about a job that needed doing.
I feel bad about closing the shop, but also excited about what's next. I hope you can shake off the feelings we both have, and look forward to your next step.
Keep you hand tools, They don't take up much room, and you don't want to have to buy them again.

Good luck,

Marc

Fred Voorhees
01-29-2008, 6:33 PM
Sorry to hear this Joe. But you know what....at least you gave a shot to a dream of yours that a lot of us share, but just don't have the gumption to try. Good luck with whatever you replace it with and by all means, stay in the creek and at least stay wet.

jud dinsmore
01-29-2008, 7:03 PM
joe,

sorry to hear that the dream has to end. it takes a lot of courage to go into business for yourself, and a great sense of responsibility to make tough decisions for the greater good of the family.

i'm getting ready to sacrifice some of my family's responsibility to pursue my own woodworking dream. i've read just about every going-into-the-woodworking-business post here and at woodweb and most advise against taking this leap. funny, that this negative attitude seems to be the overriding sentiment from those that are in the business or those that tried it. so seeing that hindsight is 20/20, would you please offer some advise for someone who is about to try to turn this dream into a reality?

as for me, i've done a bunch of homework and have several backup plans. i think i'm as ready as i'll ever be. i've also got enough start up capital to almost pay for all of my overhead expenses (i'm renting a shop space, etc.) for the first year. i've also got enough capital to pay for all of the tools i need that i don't already have. most importantly, i've got a wife that can almost full support us on her salary (no kids, yet). i know there are still a lot of unknowns but they'll always be unknown until i take the leap.

so if you're feeling up for it, please tell us why you think it didn't work. i would think that you would have "made it" after you survived the first two years. please share your experiences.

best of luck,

jud

Mike Cutler
01-29-2008, 7:40 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Joe. Your work was first rate.
Don't be a stranger.

Mike

Brian Ross
01-29-2008, 8:05 PM
"It is better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all". You obviously have the right attitude and good luck with your next venture as I am sure you will hit the ground running.
Brian

Jim Becker
01-29-2008, 8:50 PM
Joe, I too am sorry to hear that things have not worked out. Any small business is a challenge...I know all too well with a business failure of my own back in the late 1980s, although that was more precipitated by "someone other than myself" doing unsavory things. So I shut it down. (small systems/VAR/IT operation)

I do hope that you'll reconsider completely abandoning woodworking. You have wonderful skills and knowledge and even if your activities are limited, perhaps you can take some satisfaction from them. Make nice stuff for your own use and enjoyment at least! But maybe taking a break for a bit will help you transition since I have no doubt this is heart-breaking.

John Eugster
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Just fell into this thread and it struck a cord with me. I'm retiring this year from 31 years of teaching and have been doing custom work on a part time basis for about 20 years. I've come to realize it's darn near impossible to make a living at this, especially with the imports and most people not concerned about quality or lasting work. It seems we've really become a "throw away society". Hopefully Joe, I can do this as a supplement and pursue the quality and excellence the craftsman of old had. Wish me luck! John XXXXXXXXX

C Scott McDonald
01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I will echo what everybody else said. At least you tried! Which is more then I will ever do.

I would still keep going with it as a hobby. Once you get going in a different profession you might need a stress reliever! Remember the old saying "time heals all wounds" so I wouldnt part ways with all your stuff.

Joe Unni
01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
...Now a test...do you remember our old high schools mascot?

Thanks Glenn.

North Reading Hornets!!! Any time you're up this way, please don't hesitate!

Beautiful web site. Do you think your Lawrence location might have contributed to the problem? Do you want consoling (and questioning) visitors?...

Thanks Doug. Good question. I guess Lawrence could have had a negative effect, but it was only the work space. My marketing and advertising reached many of the big money towns (i.e. the Andovers, Newburyport, Hamilton-Wenham, Essex, Westwood, Beverly, etc.). I just think it takes time to build a brand and a following. Oh, and yes I'd be happy to have visitors.

Brian, my bailing isn't meant to convey anything negative. On the contrary, I want more people like yourself to give it a go. It's places like SMC that we can share what we know and the experiences that we've had. Put your head down and go for it! If you've got a question - ask!
Good luck!

Joe, your work is excellent, that certainly was not the problem.... I am curious from your experience....

Would you say the problem was lack of interest in custom furniture, or the unwillingness of customers to accept the pricing of custom made pieces? A huge distinction. Can you try to express it as, 60/40, 80/20, ?

With the current state of the economy, I would assume the custom work in general will be in decline, at least for a few years.

Regardless, I am sure your future endeavors will be fruitful, you are obviously a very talented guy....

Thank you Will. The challenge for me has been to find the folks that are interested and willing. And I've finally begun to find them, but just a bit too late. Once you find them - stay in their face - network - schmooz - donate your work to an art auction or two (rich people go to them), advertise (sometimes you can trade your work for big ads), build your name and have fun.

joe,
...most advise against taking this leap. funny, that this negative attitude seems to be the overriding sentiment from those that are in the business or those that tried it. so seeing that hindsight is 20/20, would you please offer some advise for someone who is about to try to turn this dream into a reality?
...as for me, i've done a bunch of homework and have several backup plans. i think i'm as ready as i'll ever be. i've also got enough start up capital to almost pay for all of my overhead expenses (i'm renting a shop space, etc.) for the first year. i've also got enough capital to pay for all of the tools i need that i don't already have. most importantly, i've got a wife that can almost full support us on her salary (no kids, yet). i know there are still a lot of unknowns but they'll always be unknown until i take the leap.

so if you're feeling up for it, please tell us why you think it didn't work. i would think that you would have "made it" after you survived the first two years. please share your experiences.

Thank you Jud.
The nay sayers have always bugged me. My situation didn't work out, but though a bit sad I'm not bitter at all. In fact, I'll know next time what to do and what not to do.

Two years is very ambitious - I hope that's the number for you. I've heard from many that it takes at least 5 years. As I began to turn the 4 year corner I could see some momentum, but again a bit too late...for me.

Jud, it sounds like you've got your bases quite a bit more covered than I did - enough capital and a spouse that can cover during the lean times. Kudos. I actually got tossed a wrench about 2 or 3 months after I started Unni Woodworks, my wife got layed off. She went right back to school and got her certificate in medical billing, but needless to say the challenge grew exponentially. Honestly, I don't know how we lasted as long as we did.

As I stated above, find your ideal client and stay with them. If you don't know how to market, hire someone. If you don't know how to write, hire someone. If you don't know to build a website, hire someone. You can't be good at everything, concentrate on what you know. If you don't like talking and schmoozing - do it anyway. Be honest. Be sincere. Do what you say you're going to do. Most of all enjoy the process. The business stuff is just a means to do what you love.

Good luck.

I do hope that you'll reconsider completely abandoning woodworking. You have wonderful skills and knowledge and even if your activities are limited, perhaps you can take some satisfaction from them. Make nice stuff for your own use and enjoyment at least! But maybe taking a break for a bit will help you transition since I have no doubt this is heart-breaking.

Thanks Jim.

I'm only abandoning the big tools. All my hand tools are coming home and I'll have enough small machines to do miscellaneous stuff around the house. Once I get settled and a bit established I'm actually thinking of taking up turning (stealth intension ;)) on a small scale. Just right for a basement. I've actually avoided turning as I'm intensely afraid of it...I'm afraid I'll love it!!

Thanks everyone so very much for your kind words...and for the most hits to my website ever :D. The outpouring from this announcment has been quite humbling.

Again, this had been a fantastic journey that I will always remember fondly. Please know that if I can assist anyone (through or outside of SMC) with my experiences, don't hesitate to ask.

I love wood and will work it again one day in the not too distant future.

Thanks again,
-joe

ROBERT ELLIS
01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Joe after reading your second post I'm relieved to "read between your lines" that your still keeping the little flame of woodworking alive. Not to try to steal your thread but I would like to add a few comments because my life parallelled yours to some degree (I also spent time with the good ole USAF 1981-1989).

Like you I done ww full time, only in my case 99% wholesale. This wasn't by choice it had more to do with living in a small town, numerous other full time wworkers in our area, etc. I fell into the wholesale market groove and never had the opportunity to get out of it. All of my energy and efforts went into getting the product out the door and left me too exhausted to pursue any other avenues. This went on and off (this is another story) for seven years. At best I eeked out a living, my wife didn't work outside the home, and we survived - no regrets.

In the back of my mind I always thought that smaller ticket items would be the way to go; mostly because of the economy, i.e., more people willing to part with 50.00 than 750.00, could sell locally, do some shows, have a little fun, be a little more creative rather than make the same style of furniture over and over & lastly knew of someone that was doing really well in making lesser priced crafts. But as I stated I never had the energy left at the end of the day to make the transition.

Two years ago I quit it full time and went to work for my brother - again. I still kept all my tools but I did change gears dramatically, I now make a line of very fancy cutting boards (something I had been wanting to do all along but never had the time or energy to get them going), got them juried into the Kentucky Craft Marketing Program, and now get invites to a lot of premier shows in the State. I do as much wworking in the evening that I want to do, make extra money on the side when I want to, option to do a show or not, the best thing about this new arrangement the stress is gone and wworking is fun again.

I think you'll find out in a couple of months after the dust settles that wworking is so entrenched in your blood, the desire to create, that you can never really shake it off for good. You've already hinted at the stealth thought of doing some turning which only proves my point...Good Luck!

Robert

Eric Mims
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
quote from Teddy Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Steven DeMars
01-30-2008, 1:05 PM
Go to whatever you need to do to earn a living . . . But your free time can be used to build only those projects that proved without a doubt to be profitable.

Cherry Pick - Cherry Pick - Cherry Pick ! ! !

This way you can still profit from woodworking while enjoying it . .

Gary Herrmann
01-30-2008, 2:57 PM
Joe, as others have said -- you pursued your dream. No failing in that.

Good luck.

Ed Falis
02-07-2008, 3:56 PM
Your attitude is inspirational. I'll probably be giving you a yell if I can find some money. I'm down in Ipswich. And just remember what the zen master sez about wobbling (though I suspect I don't need to remind you).

- Ed

Brandon Shew
02-07-2008, 7:50 PM
Joe - I admire that you went out on a limb and took the initiative to give it a try. I'd love to do that, but I don't have the cash reserves or the cahones to put it on the line right now. I'm sorry to hear that you're calling it quits.

If I might pry a little - was it a lack of customers, low margins, too much time building and too little time marketing? Help those of us that would like to seriously consider this with some insight.

Oh - btw I can tell you first hand that sales isn't always a stable job. I work in telecom & IT sales and it has its ups and downs. Chasing quotas, cold calling, knocking on doors, etc... You end up living your life 30 days at a time and it makes it go by way too fast.

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 9:35 PM
Oh - btw I can tell you first hand that sales isn't always a stable job. I work in telecom & IT sales and it has its ups and downs. Chasing quotas, cold calling, knocking on doors, etc... You end up living your life 30 days at a time and it makes it go by way too fast.

Amen to that! I provide tier 2/3 customer facing pre-sales support in the same industry and know what you are saying to be true!

Don Bullock
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Joe, I'm very sorry to read about your problems. You are definitely a highly talented woodworker. I remember specifically the Conference/Coffee Table project and how amazed I was at how it was constructed. Like Jim often does, you stepped us through the process. I sure hope that somehow you'll soon be back to making fine furniture. Take care.

Jim Solomon
02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
That is sad to hear Joe. I know how difficult and gut wrenching it is to have to give up on a dream. I wish you all the best!
Jim