PDA

View Full Version : Source for slow speed grinder

Jon Farley
01-29-2008, 9:29 AM
It seems like the most popular slow-speed grinder grinder for use with the wolverine jig is the one from Woodcraft. However, they are presently out of stock. Does anyone know of another comparable one? They seem to be harder to come by than I imagined.

Gordon Seto
01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Nothing comes close when you consider the service and no hassle exchange / return. The 2 OEM white wheels make this grinder currently on sale for $80 a best buy bargain.

Normally at this price range, we are mostly getting not very consistent quality controlled low end imports. A solid vendor standing by the warranty is important.

Glenn Hodges
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Woodcraft, enough said.

Randal Stevenson
01-29-2008, 1:47 PM
Is a slow only speed grinder the way to go? I use my current grinder for metal work (automotive mostly) as well, but have been thinking of getting a variable speed (like the Orion made Craftsman 8") for those things like chipped chisels and damaged old tool restoration.

I am needing another, due to getting tired of wheel changing (one wheel grinder, multitool sander on the other side).

Thanks

Bob Vallaster
01-29-2008, 3:06 PM
Lowe's carries Delta VS in 6 & 8". Grey wheels. Import.
I have no idea of their quality.

David Walser
01-29-2008, 3:16 PM
Is a slow only speed grinder the way to go? I use my current grinder for metal work (automotive mostly) as well, but have been thinking of getting a variable speed (like the Orion made Craftsman 8") for those things like chipped chisels and damaged old tool restoration.

Many experienced turners use high speed grinders to do all their sharpening, so there's no "need" for a slow speed grinder. But, a grinder that could do both slow and high speed duty would be a plus!

robert hainstock
01-29-2008, 4:16 PM
I use two grinders, the woodcraft 8in and an old Craftsman 6in hi spd. I like the low speed because it takes real dedication on my part to burn the tool. :):)
Bob

Tim Malyszko
01-29-2008, 4:54 PM
but have been thinking of getting a variable speed (like the Orion made Craftsman 8")

I have the Craftsman 8" VS and have been very pleased with it. The stock wheels were out of balance, but once I replaced them with Norton's, its been running smooth. While I use it 95% of the time on the slow speed, its been beneficial to be able to bump it up when trying to remove a lot of material on something where maintaining temper is not a concern.

The wheel guards are a bit flimsy but other than that, its been a great grinder.