PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound Theater Design

Rob Will
01-29-2008, 2:13 AM
This is off topic but I need some ideas.

A civic group around here is interested in adding a digital theater to an existing museum at a local state park. The theater will be used to show educational documentary films about science, history and nature. It will also be used as a lecture hall by guest speakers. Eventually we would like to establish a live web link between guest speakers and thier counterparts working in remote locations around the world. (Antarctica, Africa etc). This image would be displayed on the screen for the group to see.

We need this theater to seat up to 50 people. It will most likely have a projection screen about 18-20 feet wide.

Where can I go to find design firms that specialize in high quality theater?
(excellent sound, excellent accoustics, excellent wide screen visuals)
Quality delivery will either make or break this project.

We also could use the name of some vendors for cinema equipment.

We need to hire a firm to do a feasibility study and do some renderings.
Please post your suggestions or PM me.
Your suggestions will be used to make a quality viewing experience for a LOT of people.

Thanks,
Rob

Michael Gibbons
01-29-2008, 8:11 AM
Rob, So many companies make high end equipment nowadays that it would be hard to recommend just one. I think your best bet would be to go the your local Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstores and get a copy of Audio/Video interiors magazine. I beleive that the magazine has an advertizers index in the back where you can find equipment retailers as well as businesses that specialize in designing and installing systems. You'll get ideas of what is possible. alot of eye candy in there. Anywhere from the screens to theatre type seats to automatic lights and opening curtains. I think you can even find vendors for actual popcorn makers. The only limit will be your budget.

Todd Bin
01-29-2008, 8:57 AM
Where can I go to find design firms that specialize in high quality theater?
(excellent sound, excellent accoustics, excellent wide screen visuals)
Quality delivery will either make or break this project.

We also could use the name of some vendors for cinema equipment.

We need to hire a firm to do a feasibility study and do some renderings.
Please post your suggestions or PM me.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, if you are looking for help with acoustic design, I would suggest Rives audio. They specialize in taking a space and giving you the best acoustic deisgn. The can be as involved as you want them to be. They have several levels of involvement. Visit the web site below to see what they offer.

http://www.rivesaudio.com/

I am a self confessed audiophile and as far as equipment goes the sky is the limit. But I have never looked at systems for an auditorium of that size. I would think Rives can help with that as well.

Good Luck,
Todd

PS. I have no affiliation with Rives.

Steven Wilson
01-29-2008, 9:13 AM
You might want to get in touch with the music department at local university and find out who did the acoustic design for their performance space. Contact a local recording studio and ask them. Many advertisers in Mix Magazine are involved with studio design.

Earl Kelly
01-29-2008, 9:14 AM
Rob,

Contact these People- http://www.allprosound.com/

They do everything from small home installs to very large Churches and everything in between.

Earl

Grant Morris
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum. Nuff said.

jason lambert
01-29-2008, 10:37 AM
This is my hobbie and my fathors profession setting up HT. Wow I don't know where to start, I second AVSFORUM. The projector and lighting will be the hard part get the brigest you can and a perferatied screen so you can put speakers behind it since you said looks is important.

Al Willits
01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
For something this important I'd stay away from forums and go with a pro, nothing against forums but this isn't basic home theater here and you require someone who deals with larger scale and who had had some experience in this.

Considering the cost, go with someone you can hold accountable.imho

Al

Larry Fox
01-29-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum. Nuff said.

Graint nailed it - no better source for information.

Rob Will
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the "direction" men. Yes, the AVS Forum has some helpful learning tools. One that I like in particular is the "riser calculator" for arranging theater seating.

The intent here is to hire a professional......but I am so ignorant of the parameters involved.......I would hardly know which questions to ask.

Thus far, it seems that a quality theater / presentation room should be built around the room's acoustics and seating placement in relation to the projection screen. Anybody know of an architectural firm who does the whole package for theater construction projects?......or do I start with the acoustic design and general shape of the room and take that information to the architect?

I don't want to step on any toes but I do want to ask the right questions when we do hire a professional.

Any suggestions as to what features you would like to see in a small (50 seat) theater?

Thanks to the moderator for moving this, I'm glad it started in GW but this should indeed reside here in OT.

Rob

Dan Mages
01-29-2008, 10:43 PM
I reccomend calling Abt Electronics (http://www.abtelectronics.com) just outside Chicago. They are well known in the Chicago for setting up home theatres and the like. I remember a nice 350k+ art deco home theatre in their old show room a few years back. I have personally purchased many, many things from them in the past have always been pleased with their service and support.

Dan

Vic Damone
01-30-2008, 1:45 AM
I would start whit a suggestion from Meyer Sound. They have associations with some of the best acoustical designers in the business. Ask them for a reference in your area. This sounds like a professional sound reinforcement video projection project. I'm not sure your local Home Theater installer would be the way to go with a venue of this size.

http://www.meyersound.com/

Vic

Eidolon, Ayre, Reflection Audio, Well Tempered, Cardas

Al Willits
01-30-2008, 9:16 AM
""""""""
The intent here is to hire a professional......but I am so ignorant of the parameters involved.......I would hardly know which questions to ask.
""""""""

That's why you go to a pro instead of a forum, they should ask you the right questions and from that advise you on the various possible set ups that will work for you.
Skys the limit on this stuff, so I'd have a good idea what your going to spend and what if need be you can spend.
fwiw I'd stay away from anything with Bose on it, by far better stuff for less price.

Al

Justin Leiwig
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
""""""""
""""""""

That's why you go to a pro instead of a forum, they should ask you the right questions and from that advise you on the various possible set ups that will work for you.
Skys the limit on this stuff, so I'd have a good idea what your going to spend and what if need be you can spend.
fwiw I'd stay away from anything with Bose on it, by far better stuff for less price.

Al

I wouldn't be so quick to judge something just because it is an online forum. It's rather obvious that you have never even visited the AVS forum. AVS forum has hundreds of industry professionals that post on that forum every day and can offer tons of information for free.

No one is suggesting that he do the design himself, but with the help of the AVS forum he will know what he's getting for his money.

That being said I would talk to Dennis Erskine from Design Cinema Privee. They mainly specialize in high end home theaters but they do other work as well. If Dennis can't do it for you he can at least steer you in the right direction. He is a very nice guy and always willing to help. Search for his posts on the AVS forum and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about room acoustics and waves and reflections.

It turns into a big headache and jumble, but you will know what your getting into by reading up a bit on it at the forums. :D

Pat Germain
01-30-2008, 3:09 PM
If you want to go very high end, find someone who is "THX" certified. They don't come cheap, but they are very high end.