PDA

View Full Version : GRR-Ripper aggravation

John Lemke
01-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I like my GR-200, but it also annoys me to the point of creative vulgarity at times. I find it very hard to move the center leg, and if it's been some time since I last tried to adjust it, I almost invariably forget what happened last time -- I loosen one of the knobs too much and unwind it out of the flat, oval-shaped nut. Then it's a matter of taking the side off and reassembling the thing.

So, has anyone encountered this problem and addressed it? Maybe some candle wax on the parts that slide unwillingly? A little quality time with some sandpaper or a file?

Thanks -- John (who's covered with plaster dust from ripping out a wall to expand his workshop!)

Tom Veatch
01-29-2008, 12:48 AM
...I find it very hard to move the center leg, and ... has anyone encountered this problem and addressed it? Maybe some candle wax on the parts that slide unwillingly? A little quality time with some sandpaper or a file?

You're not alone as I have the same problem with mine but have not as yet attemped to find a solution

Richard Blaine
01-29-2008, 3:11 AM
Count me in on this problem as well. I've been extremely disappointed in the product. In fact, to the point of wishing I had just stuck to a push shoe.

I was also disappointed when a couple of days ago, in another thread, someone asked for push stick designs. Several responders answered by telling the OP to just get the grripper.

Brodie Brickey
01-29-2008, 3:36 AM
I've got the gripper, and I've been happy with it. There are still a lot of things where the gripper isn't a replacement for a push stick.

Ripping really thin stock that requires 'sacrificing' the push stick.
jointer work.
Sometimes its just too tall for good control.I haven't encountered the problems you describe, but I don't adjust the center very much if ever.

Brian Penning
01-29-2008, 4:34 AM
HAD the same problem but a shot of WD40(or was it Jig-A-Loo?) on the shafts fixed it.

Peter Stahl
01-29-2008, 5:52 AM
Maybe a shot of Topcoat would do it?

Rick Moyer
01-29-2008, 6:17 AM
Richard, I'd be happy to take yours off your hands so you can go back to a push stick. Actually the middle leg doesn't move easily but I haven't found it to be aggravating. I suspect a little lubricant or sanding should resolve the problem. I love the design of the Grrripper. Maybe you guys got The Griper!!:D

Joe Mioux
01-29-2008, 9:14 AM
After having one lie around the shop for 6 months, I bought another one. Since adding the second one, I really like them and now use them all the time.

Yes, the middle grip is tough to move. I normally just move it from one side to the other.

Not enough of an issue to consider in an agravation though. I like the idea of a little lubricant on the slide.

joe

Ray Petri
01-29-2008, 9:17 AM
A little bit of silicone on the middle slide works great.

Steve Roxberg
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I've got the gripper, and I've been happy with it. There are still a lot of things where the gripper isn't a replacement for a push stick.

Ripping really thin stock that requires 'sacrificing' the push stick.
jointer work.
Sometimes its just too tall for good control.I haven't encountered the problems you describe, but I don't adjust the center very much if ever.

Probably my number one use of a Gripper is face jointing boards, I have two of the. Why do you say it isn't a replacement for jointer work?

Glen Blanchard
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Had the same problem. A touch of wax and all is well.