PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #4 Spalted Water Oak Burl-Need advice

Tim Brooks
01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I started my 4th bowl and as you can see have added some pictures of what I have so far. The bowl is far from finished but I wanted to get some opinions on form among whatever else you feel needs my attention before I put the sandpaper to it.

I think the walls need to be a little thinner but I'm afraid I might lose the bark for my natural edge if I go too much thinner and that is my purpose for doing the bowl. I do have some EEE polish on the bottom but the bowl is still in progress. What advice do you experts have for me?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to view and comment.

Raymond Overman
01-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Just my opinion but you're leaning towards it anyway, sharpen your bowl gouge extremely sharp and take it thinner. The key is to take thin cuts and progressively cut the edge thinner. Take smooth full passes all the way to the bottom of the bowl from the outside rim and bury that tool handle in your side as much as possible.

If you need to use some thin CA glue to help hold the bark on that's ok but if the tree is recently cut (winter) and green you shouldn't have any problem with losing the bark as long as you have sharp tools and are not extremely aggressive.

From looking at it, if it were mine, I would take it down to about half that thickness or possibly less. it's a fine piece of wood and will look nice either way. Good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I agree with Raymond. Sharpen your gouge and take light cuts. I would also use CA if you think the bark has any chance of coming off. I would take it down at least half of what you have it now. Finish it with Danish or Antique oil. Your wood and form look good.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I like the looks of your bowl so far - very nice looking wood! Have to agree with Raymond and Bernie - sharp tools, light cuts and take your time. I also think it would look best if were a little less than half of what you have now. It's a challenge for your 4th bowl but that is how you learn. Use the CA trick if you get nervous about the bark. Other than that remember it's just wood and your next bowl is going to be better no matter what!

Best of luck to you! Looking forward to seeing the finished results!

Ben Gastfriend
01-29-2008, 6:30 AM
I'd agree with the above, but if you feel uncomfortable taking it down any further, let it be, after all, you are the one that has "felt" the wood. If you feel like you are going to blow it apart if you try to take it down thinner, dont! Good luck, and really nice bowl!

Brian McInturff
01-29-2008, 6:39 AM
Tim,
If you are leary of taking it down any more then set it aside and chuck up a piece of trash wood. Practice your cuts as if the trash wood was the real bowl. Once you get comfortable with the cut and going thin then chuck the original bowl back up and go for it. Stop the lathe after every couple of passes and check your work. Good luck and it's already a beauty of a bowl!!