PDA

View Full Version : Longer Power Cord For PM 3520b

Jeff Paxton
01-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, I did it. I ordered a Powermatic 3520b today. In doing a little planning in my shop for where I want to put the new lathe, a question came to mind. I am not sure but that the 6 foot cord might be a little short. I don't want to step over it each time I move to sharpen a tool. I only have two 220 outlets on opposite walls, so I am limited on the set up.

How hard is it to put a longer power cord on the lathe? I really did not want to use an extension cord. It may not be an issue, but if it is I would like to know if that is an option. Understand, I am not an electrician. I have replaced a few lamp cords in my day, and put in a light switch and 110 outlet, but that is about it. It would need to be pretty simple. Any help?

Jeff

tim mathis
01-28-2008, 10:40 PM
looks easy it is coming out of the vfd
1 ground screw terminal
1 r screw terminal
1 s screw terminal
pg 40 of my manual it looks very easy.
everything in my shop is mobile i use an extention cord which works great for me.

Tom Steyer
01-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Jeff,

As a suggestion, consider this. Get a double pole, single throw 220v capable switch from the big box store. Also pick up a 12ga wire HD extension cord of appropriate length, and a 220v male plug of the prong configuration to match your outlets. Cut the ends off of the extension cord, add on the 220v male plug, seperate and strip the three wires on the other end. Install a switch box in a convenient place close to or on your lathe. Fasten the extension cord wires to the line side of the DPST switch and add a ground wire to the switch. Fasten the power leads from the pigtail of your lathe to the load side of the switch, and connect all the ground wires together in the box with a good wire nut. Test everything with an Ohm meter to confirm that the switch is working as desired. This will give you a way to conveniently cut power to the lathe, without having to pull the plug - a good idea when you have your hands inside changing the belt position, changing a chuck, or the like. I do this on my Jet 1642 2hp lathe, and I also pull the power, with the addition of a second switch, for my 220v vacuum pump from the switch box (add a two-switch box, & 2nd switch - jump the power from the load side of the lathe switch to the line side of the vacuum pump switch, wire the pump to the load side of switch 2).

Rich Souchek
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Jeff,
The PM3520B is a single phase, 240 VAC machine that comes with a heavy duty electrical cord about 5' long without a plug on the end. You will need to either furnish a wall receptical that the power cord feeds will screw into or buy the male 240 volt plug and set up a 240 volt electrical line to the circuit breaker for the lathe.
If you are not familar with house wiring and/or don't feel up to doing it yourself, an electrican can do it for you. They get expensive sometimes. I have a brother-in-law who does electrical jobs set mine up. There is not much to it, but one needs to find someone knowledgable to do it. If not in your family, perhaps a friend, neighbor, or fellow turner/woodworker that you know?
(Material costs for running another 240 volt line to the lathe setup about 30' away is only about $15 - $20, not including the $8 circuit breaker if you need another one.)
Rich S.