PDA

View Full Version : cap screw source

nick brigg
01-28-2008, 9:59 PM
hey guys! id like to try and take a stab at making my own Hock style plane blade. just one thing, i've never seen the type of screws he uses for his blades anywhere, do anyone know a godo source for these screws or is there another alternative?

Stephen Pereira
01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Nick,

I am attempting the very same thing. I made my cap screw on my little SB lathe. If you can't find a source I could make one for you.. free. The screw head diameter is .. if I remember correctly .625. The thread is 1/4-28. I scribed the slot for the screw head in the lathe and cut the slot with a hack saw.. it is a lot less work than setting up the screw on the mill and using a slitting saw. I knurled the edge of the head for a better grip..lots of fun. I used free machining leaded steel for my screw but brass would work and look nice to boot.

nick brigg
01-29-2008, 2:34 AM
haha i couldn't ask you to do that, i live in Canada as well, i'm sure there would be charges somewhere in there :P. why is it that they are so hard to find??

Stephen Pereira
01-29-2008, 6:25 AM
Hi Nick,

Where do you live in Canada? I live in Minnesota, about 100 miles south of International Falls.. cold today and it's going to get colder.

I don't think it would be all that difficult to mail to Canada but I could be wrong.. never tried it. As to why the cap screw is so hard to find.. I don't know, must not be much of a need. You could use a 1/4x28 round head stove bolt and fender washer.. not very elegent but it will work.

My offer still stands.

Steve

Ron Brese
01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Nick,

You could just go with thicker tool steel, say 1/4," and forego the need for the cap iron. This way you would not have to cut the slot in the tool steel and you would not have to cut the mortise for the screw head in the plane body. It simplifies things and if bedded solidly it is a wonderful feeling when it is sharp and pulling nice shavings.

Ron Brese

nick brigg
01-29-2008, 5:30 PM
Hi Nick,

Where do you live in Canada? I live in Minnesota, about 100 miles south of International Falls.. cold today and it's going to get colder.

I don't think it would be all that difficult to mail to Canada but I could be wrong.. never tried it. As to why the cap screw is so hard to find.. I don't know, must not be much of a need. You could use a 1/4x28 round head stove bolt and fender washer.. not very elegent but it will work.

My offer still stands.

Steve

I googled fender washers and they just look like regular old washers, in the pictures of Hock's blades they have some sorta big black plastic looking washer, what are those called?. And I live in montreal, quebec by the way, not that cold lately thank goodness!

Eddie Darby
01-29-2008, 9:04 PM
What about buying "B" and cutting a slot in it?

1/4 x 20 thread.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=44203&cat=3,43576,52800