PDA

View Full Version : Foley Belsaw molder/planer

Steve Rozmiarek
01-28-2008, 9:41 PM
I've got a lead on one of these, which I know nothing about. They want $650, which sounds high for a used machine, is it? How well do they work?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-29-2008, 9:54 AM
opinions?

bump

Bill Sampson
01-29-2008, 1:12 PM
Steve,

I really don't know what a fair price for this piece is. I bought a five horse-12 inch Foley-Belsaw about six months ago that was hardly used with the gang saw and moulding attachments new in the box. Also included was a set of new blades. Cost was $100.00. I called Foley, explained what I had and was informed the new parts in the box were worth a minimum of $200 and the complete unit was probably worth $700. Piece runs extremely well and will save the Delta two speed for light work. I originally was going to sell, but don't think I can replace anything near it for close to my initial cost.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Michael Short
01-29-2008, 3:00 PM
$650 may not be out of line compared to a new one of it's caliber.

I have seen this setup at auctions and craigslist selling as low as $275 to $450 range with the attachments.

If you are willing to wait for the deal to happen then you can probably find a better deal but with that you generally have to be ready to spend it.

Sometimes ( most of the time ) time and money doesn't always fit my tool wants, but I have been able to get a good deal along the way.

Good luck with your decision.

Jim Eller
01-29-2008, 5:06 PM
I had the 5 HP version and just traded for a Byrd head PM.

When I researched selling it, I thought it was worth more than anyone was paying for them.

The $300 range was the area to sell in.

Mine was in A-1 condition but I couldn't stand not have some kind of chip/dust collection. I had bought and tried almost everything anyone suggested. Finally I gave up.

I found the knives a bear to setup also.

Mark Rakestraw
01-29-2008, 6:22 PM
I have one that I've used a little bit for planing, but mostly use for molding. Mine just came with edge cutters, something I'd rather use the router table for. I've bought several different crown and chair rail knives and it works well for that. I'd say for $650 it would be worth it if it comes with some knives with profiles you're interested in, otherwise probably not.
Mark

Steve Rozmiarek
01-29-2008, 8:53 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate your time. Not many used tools out here in the sticks, and I have never seen one of these for sale, and to tell you the truth, I can't even really think of a use for it. Just didn't want to pass on something that may have been a great deal. I think I'll go see it tomorrow, and unless it has a bunch of great knives, I'll pass.