PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen tail vise hardware

Jameel Abraham
01-28-2008, 8:58 PM
Anybody used it?

I built the Michael Fortune bench (from the Workbench Book by Landis) about 10 years ago, using tail vise hardware from Woodcraft. The vise has since sagged to the front, I've shimmed it with some wedges, but in all I'm greatly disappointed with the hardware. I noticed the LN hardware is welded, and looks much more robust. I'm also hoping to eliminate the toe raising up when tightening the vise. That makes planing almost impossible. Schwarz's bench from Woodworking Magazine are interesting, but the lack of tail vise has me wondering. I would miss mine. But the wagon vise might fill the bill. I could live without clamping between the tail vise cheeks in exchange for a robust right end and a true linear running "tail" vise.

Alan Turner
01-29-2008, 6:28 AM
I have made and taught a number of benches using the LN large TV hardware. It is outstanding in all respects. Heavy duty, etc. One real advantage of this hardware is that it is mounted in a simple "L" of wood, unlike the more common style where one needs to carefully build up a somewaht complex structure, which then changes with the humidity. Also, there are welded straps on the back of the plate, which means that you do not need to slot the edge of the benchtop.

I mount them slightly differently than LN, and have had excellent results. Note that the LN comes right or left handed, and you need the correct one; they are not reversable.

John Bailey
01-29-2008, 6:42 AM
I bought one and it is indeed robust. I've not used it as a vice, however, so I can't contribute whether it's good for that. Mine is part of a cider press.

John

Michael Gibbons
01-29-2008, 8:02 AM
Mine is part of a cider press.

John Hard Cider??:D

Jameel Abraham
01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I have made and taught a number of benches using the LN large TV hardware. It is outstanding in all respects. Heavy duty, etc. One real advantage of this hardware is that it is mounted in a simple "L" of wood, unlike the more common style where one needs to carefully build up a somewaht complex structure, which then changes with the humidity. Also, there are welded straps on the back of the plate, which means that you do not need to slot the edge of the benchtop.

I mount them slightly differently than LN, and have had excellent results. Note that the LN comes right or left handed, and you need the correct one; they are not reversable.

Alan,

Thanks very much for the thorough reply. I like the idea of the "L" of wood. I'd like to hear about your experience with the longevity of this vise staying level, not raising up at the toe, etc. How long has your longest vise been going with this hardware? And I'd also be interested in your mounting method. Be glad to take it to email if you like. Incidentally, I repositioned the plate on my current vise, and shimmed the bottom so it tiled the vise back to level, then I planed it flush to the top and already its started to sag again. I'm hoping the LN hardware will solve this problem, as I clamp between dogs quite a bit, and a wagon vise would be my only other option. I've neve been a fan of using a face vise as a tail vise with a dog in the cheek, it positions the dog row too far in to the bench.

Randy Klein
02-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Not to hijack, but what is the purpose of the L shape as opposed to a straight shape?

The only thing I can think of is that the L part, that is perpendicular to the handle, is some sort of counter-weight/pivot to help prevent drooping. Anyone know? Or is there some other use for that portion?

And if it's solely for counter weight, will increasing the length of the L, increase the resistance to drooping?

Alan Turner
02-12-2008, 9:15 AM
Randy,
This is a slow response; sorry. The "L" which I referred to is the top plate, and the vertical plate which is even with the front of the bench. Actiually, there are two front pieces, the one the vise is mounted to and in which the dog holes are cut, and then the front plate, typically 1" thick.

The other "L", to the right of the handle, is just for show, and is a bit dangerous in that if one uses it, it will not handle the pressure I suspect and could casue problems. It does have an historic purpose, for one with wooden rails, as it supported the right hand bottom rail. But for the new steel hardware, it is vestigial only.