PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on DC Filter

Dennis Kelly
01-28-2008, 8:06 PM
Hello,
Does anyone here have experience with the Penn State Dust Collector Canister Filter? The link for the item is posted below:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dcanister2.html

At $170, I wouldn't mind some feedback from the experts before I purchase. Also, if any of you have other modifications to your DC's I am very open to suggestions. I currently have a two bag DC with 30 mil bags. This is only recirculating the fine dust into the shop.

Dennis

Greg Peterson
01-29-2008, 12:49 AM
You might also consider Wynn Environmental (http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm).

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2008, 6:44 AM
Penn State also sells a taller canister filter for $209. It is much taller than the ones offered by Jet, Grizzly and JDS. However, PSI never returned my phone calls and emails inquiring what the filter is made from...paper or poly. So, I never bought it.

I hope you have better luck with them.

-Jeff :)

Dennis Kelly
01-29-2008, 7:44 AM
Yeah, I looked at Wynn and have heard of difficulties contacting PSI. I decided not to purchase the Wynn because the largest diameter they offer is 17.5". I need a 20" diameter to fit my DC.

Dennis

Gary McKown
01-29-2008, 9:51 AM
That is the one that came with the PSI DC2000BCF I have been running for two years now. No complaints - works quite well for my extended-hobby use. The flappers (assisted by slapping the outside of the cannister) work well enough that I only need to disassemble and thoroughly clean the pleats about every 6 months (5-6 bags of dust, mostly from planers, routers, and TS so not so much in the way of fines).

I would recommend also the PSI plastic bags, which are inexpensive and heavy duty enough that I can reuse each one 4 or 5 times (I compost the debris).

I got the units (plus a bunch of fittings and pipe) directly from their Phila. showroom, have never dealt with them on the phone or internet.

Glen Blanchard
01-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I looked at Wynn and have heard of difficulties contacting PSI. I decided not to purchase the Wynn because the largest diameter they offer is 17.5". I need a 20" diameter to fit my DC.

Dennis

Dennis - Are you concerned that the Wynn will not operate properly due to the difference in diameters? I just ordered my Wynn filter yesterday (although I have a narrower DC at about 18") after hearing all the recommendations. I am almost certain that the 17.5" Wynn will fit and work perfectly well with your DC. Now, if you have an issue with the appearance of it (due its slightly narrower diameter) that is a different matter.

BTW, there are lots of threads here about the Wynn that you may want to reference.

Greg Peterson
01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Dennis, diameter is misleading.

Penn - 1.0 mic, 83 Sq Ft.
Wynn SBP - 1.0 mic, 100 Sq Ft.
Wynn BP - .5 mic, 274 Sq Ft.

Even though the Penn filter is larger, the Wynn has more filter area.

Just something to consider. Plus the customer service at Wynn is incredible.

Glen Blanchard
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Glen, diameter is misleading.

Penn - 1.0 mic, 83 Sq Ft.
Wynn SBP - 1.0 mic, 100 Sq Ft.
Wynn BP - .5 mic, 274 Sq Ft.

Even though the Penn filter is larger, the Wynn has more filter area.

Just something to consider. Plus the customer service at Wynn is incredible.

Greg - I was asking Dennis for clarification on the diameter issue, as I wonder if he feels it will not fit his DC. This had nothing to do with filtration or surface area. I ordered my Wynn yesterday.

Greg Peterson
01-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry Glen, I meant to address the post to Dennis.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2008, 1:17 PM
I'm not convinced that more square feet in the same size filter means that it will flow better. More square feet is liklely accomplished by making the pleats smaller. And smaller pleats will likely clog quicker especially for filters that were designed to polish the air after gross separation or other prefiltration. Or uses an auto pulse air cleaning system like a commercial Torit system to remove the dust cake. I could be wrong though.

Gary...Is your filter paper or poly? Can it be washed with a hose? The one I was looking at was the big one from PSI....

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/DCANISTERS.jpg

Dennis Kelly
01-29-2008, 1:47 PM
Hey guys,
I was concerned about the filter fitting into the DC as my diameter is 20". I did check out the site and noticed alot of owners created donuts to fit their larger diameters but I'm not sure it's something I feel like dealing with.
I do see your point, I think I read in Wood magazine that the larger the surface area the more efficient your air flow becomes. I will search the site for ideas on attaching the Wynn to a larger diameter cannister and see what I get.

Dennis

Gary McKown
01-29-2008, 2:06 PM
Jeffrey - the cannister is made with some type of synthetic fabric, definitely not paper. I haven't tried to wash it, but it stands up to blasting the exterior with compressed air (either on the DC or outside, off the machine). About twice a year I give it a good compressed-air cleaning (standing upwind!) after running a shopvac brush around the interior, which seems to get every speck of dust out of the pleats.

That same procedure is used to clean the CleanStream shopvac filters. I used to wash them (took forever to dry), but found the compressed air worked just as well and they could be put right back in service.

Glen Blanchard
01-29-2008, 2:46 PM
Wynn sells both a paper and a poly filter. The poly can be washed while the paper cannot. I was tempted to get the poly so I could wash it, but it seems that almost every hobbiest in buying the paper and the folks at Wynn conveyed to me that that would probably be all I needed. It can be cleaned with compressed air, as long as you don't get carried away with high pressures.

In the end, I bought the paper filter.