PDA

View Full Version : when to sharpen ?

Jeff Smi
01-28-2008, 7:08 PM
I was wondering how to tell when its time for a saw blade sharpening ? I seems as of late im having to put more effort into the cuts using my Woodworker II saw blade, I have cleaned the blade, thinking that was all it would take. I'd hate to spend the cash when it doesn't really need sharped.

John Thompson
01-28-2008, 8:40 PM
I think you answered your own question, Jeff. When you have to put effort into the cut then you should clean your blade as you did. Then.. if you are still having to put more effort into the cut, it's time to sharpen as a sharp blade really requires no effort it the right tooth count and configuration for a given task.

BTW.. I keep at least one back-up blade on hand and sometimes two to save the down time when having them sharpened. Even though I use a local sharpener and it only takes 1 or 2 days max... I am in the shop every day and don't have down-time to waste. Just a thought..

Sarge..

Bill Huber
01-28-2008, 9:14 PM
OK, someone had to say it...

When its dull......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree with John, you answered your own question, if you are having to put a more force on the blade to cut then its time to get it sharpened.

I like John have to main blades and I keep one of them sharp at all times.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-28-2008, 9:22 PM
When you see lots of smoke :D :D :D

I think, as the others said, when it takes considerably more effort to get a workpiece through then its time for a sharpening.

John Thompson
01-28-2008, 11:02 PM
[quote=Bill Huber;758877]OK, someone had to say it...

When its dull......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And that indeed was my first thought. But.. I just chuckled to myself and decided that someone else would quickly enough and get the blame for being the "smart arse".. :) ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Have a good night, Bill.

Sarge..

Tom Walz
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Or when it is still sharp.

The duller carbide gets the faster it gets more dull. Figure a fully sharp blade has a sharpness of 10. Call it six months to get a little dull with a value of 9. With the same cutting it may get to 8 in four months and so on.

As carbide gets dull the edges get round. The rounder the edges are the more has to be taken off to sharpen it and the fewer sharpenings you will get.

Pushing on a dull blade is more work and less fun. It is also harder on the blade increases the chances of an accident.

Admittedly there is a lot of personal preference here. I love having everything clean and sharp. I hate having to start a job by sharpening a tool. For me one of the best parts of a job is sitting on the porch afterwards with a cold beverage while I clean and sharpen tools.