PDA

View Full Version : Kickback!!

Brian Knop
03-03-2004, 11:48 PM
I was cutting this wood stripe when my push stick slipped of. This is the reason why you never want to stand behind what your cutting! I need a new front door.

Brian

Pat Salter
03-03-2004, 11:56 PM
OUCH (said the door)

Terry Hatfield
03-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Brian,

WOW!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Glad you are OK!!!!

Were you using a splitter???

Terry

Mark Singer
03-04-2004, 12:37 AM
You can cut strips from the free end of the board so they don't get trapped between the fence and the blade. Clamp a measuring stick on the left of the blade and move the fence each time till it touches. That technique you used is dangerous. Or walk around the saw and pull it through ...but don't let it go for even a second

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2004, 1:46 AM
Use a pair of GRR-Rippers next time and that won't happen. Been there, done that and now I use the GRR-Rippers.....a LOT more safe and a TON more of control over the cut and material. :)

Brian Knop
03-04-2004, 9:46 AM
No I don't have a splitter. I looked at the GRR-Rippers that Dennis is using and that looks like something I would use. I will differently have to get something.
Brian

Terry Hatfield
03-04-2004, 9:57 AM
No I don't have a splitter. I looked at the GRR-Rippers that Dennis is using and that looks like something I would use. I will differently have to get something.
Brian

Brian,

I would strongly suggest that you take a look at the Micro Jig splitter. I have a full review of it on my site. I also just got my GRR-Rippers Monday. I'll be reviewing them ASAP. Looks like you would need both for the cut you were doing.

Terry

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Egad! Is that a hollow-core door??? *shudder* if it is a solid wood door...my Goodness!

Bill Spero
03-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Brian, I'll give you 10 points for penetration but only 8.5 for accuracy. At this point if it was me and the wife hadn’t seen it yet, I would cut off the ends and touch up the paint. :) :)

R Mousel
03-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Wow, what an eye opener. Just a few days ago I read somewhere, can't remember where- one of the forums, that a woodworker was killed by a kickback like this. Supposedly the splinter pierced his abdominal aorta, causing him to rapidly bleed out internally. I just couldn't quite imagine this happening and was skeptical. Now seeing this, I have no doubt in my mind. This could have easily been a fatal injury seeing how it pierced the door, I'm willing to bet all of our chiseled 6-packs couldn't have stopped it that well. Somebody also mentioned wearing a leather apron. I am sure this would offer some protection but not enough-no replacement for the basics.

Thanks for sharing Brian, it definitely is making me take a closer look at my safety measures.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Perhaps this is a good reason to keep a 10" TS's motor at no greater than 3 HP?? :)

James Carmichael
03-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I was cutting this wood stripe when my push stick slipped of. This is the reason why you never want to stand behind what your cutting! I need a new front door.

Brian

Glad you're OK.

On the lighter side, you can now install a peephole for identifying people who are 3' tall ;)

Dave Arbuckle
03-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Perhaps this is a good reason to keep a 10" TS's motor at no greater than 3 HP?? :)

Chris, do you reckon that tiny little sliver of wood had enough mass to slow down even a 1 1/2 horsepower motor?

Dave

Mike Kelly
03-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Even a 1 1/2 HP will do the same thing. The force of the blade at the same size/weight going the same RPM will do the same damage. My first kickbacks were as fortunate by accidentally standing where I should have been. Since then, good habits have been reinforced by my own accidents and other's misfortunes. If each accident is analyzed and root cause determined and communicated to others, we all benefit. Thanks Brian, for your picture. Hopefully you have figured out a better way to do this with the feedback.

The Micro-Jig would surely make this operation a lot safer or using the off cut side for the thin cutting.

Even using a Micro-Jig improperly will get you in some kickback trouble. Here is what my inattention and improper use cost me. The wood piece hit my ShopSmith and wall behind me. No hole, but it scared me none the less.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=5785

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 2:09 PM
I was thinking about some people who want 5 HP motors on their 10" TS and wondering if you try and really shove something through, it may handle it up do a point and then flick it back at you.

Because you have that powerful a motor, you might think it could handle anything and play less safe that you should.

On my Dad's old Craftsman 1.5 HP, we were able to kill the motor quite easily but I did manage to kick back a chunk of oak into my (well-padded, it was zero degrees in the garage at the time) shoulder. It left a nice large sickly-yellowish bruise.

Sometimes I look at my TS (Griz 1023Z, 3 HP) and wonder at its power. However, I do take great care to make sure it is in perfect alignment and that sharp blades are always used.

I now have 2 pairs of Grrripers so that will aid me further.

Dan Bussiere
03-05-2004, 4:35 PM
YIKES!!! I love my splitter!
Dan