PDA

View Full Version : Source for a "what's avalaible" regarding pen kits and blanks?

Bob Opsitos
01-28-2008, 4:16 PM
Does anyone have any sort of "my range of pen kit and blanks" that they would give to a perspective customer if they weren't familiar with what's avalaible?

I had a software vendor express interesting buying a few pens from me, but I don't have anything that I can give him that would show what's avalaible. I don't want to sinply send him a link to the vendors of pen kits and blanks as I think that would be potentially unprofessional as the pricing is there.

I was going to peice something together from online images, but that will be a fair bit of work, and I want to make sure it's justified.

So when someone wants to buy a pen, how do you generally inform them about the options?

thanks
bob

Curt Fuller
01-28-2008, 4:21 PM
I think your best bet would be to have a few pens on hand for them to choose from. The kits don't vary but the blanks are hard to predict what they'll look like when finished. Having a picture of one pen wouldn't necessarily mean you could make another like it.

Pete Simmons
01-28-2008, 4:28 PM
How about a very simple one page web site?

Ben Gastfriend
01-28-2008, 4:53 PM
I usually start by asking customers if they prefer a thin or thick pen, whether or not they like a grip, etc. Then I can show them a few examples of thick pens, say, the cigar pens, the "atlas" pens, etc.

Adam Morgenstern
01-28-2008, 8:17 PM
I try to keep a few different types in a pen roll that way I can show them the different styles and a few different woods. I also put a few pictures on my flickr page which puts them all in one place online and it didn't take any web skills.

David Wilhelm
01-28-2008, 8:57 PM
I turn slim style on several different frames, different shapes, woods, finishes, and prices. I keep several on had in a nice leather case with a supply of wooden pen boxes. I often have request of a pen out of this shaped like that........ or could you make me a pen out of this and they will bring me a piece of wood. Just understand that not all burls will mark up the same and not all purple heart will turn out the same color. Things like that can be a pain when people don't understand wood and think it's going to be like plastic. I would much rather have them pick one I've already made. Then you know they like the one they are getting. If they can hold it in their hand they are more apt to buy it.

Greg Cuetara
01-28-2008, 9:56 PM
I recently saw a custom catalog that penn state industries sells. It is on page 12 of their online catalog and you can put together you own custom pricing...not sure what the kit actually looks like as I have not seen it but might be worth investigating because it looks like they have done most of the work you are talking about just without the prices which does make it a lot more professional.

I hope I am no violating the TOS but here is the link.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PSI&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PKSALES4

Good luck,
Greg