PDA

View Full Version : Weekend finds - Tool Dating Questions.

Rob Luter
01-28-2008, 3:31 PM
I picked up a couple of nice antique mall prizes this weekend, and could use some help determining probable age.

Item 1 - Stanley #77 Rosewood and Brass Mortise Marking Gauge. Only marking is “Stanley - New Britain CT”. It doesn’t look like it was used much.

Item 2 - Stanley Sliding Bevel. Marked “STANLEY” on one side and “PAT’d 7-14-08” on the other. Nickel plating. I think this is a #18 Sliding bevel.

Item 3 - Bailey Spokeshave with Adjustable Mouth. This looks just like a Stanley #53 but the only thing marked Stanley is the blade. It reads “Stanley Rule and Level Co.” The handle casting is marked with a faint “Bailey” on one side and possibly a number on the other that’s not readable under the japanning. Works great!

These are all great users that I plan on keeping. I’m just curious as to how old they might be or the date ranges they were manufactured in. I’ll try to get some pics up later.

- Rob

Chris Padilla
01-28-2008, 4:18 PM
LOL...I thought I was gonna have to move this to OT forum!! :D

How about I add the word "Tool" to the subject line? :)

Rob Luter
01-28-2008, 4:26 PM
Sure! I swapped Tool and Dating to no one would be confused. Good thing I didn't add "Sweetheart" huh?:D

Steve Rozmiarek
01-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I'll take a stab at them Rob. All sound like they are roughly the same vintage, after 1900 and before 1930 or so. With photos of the tools, trademarks, DNA samples and the like, it could be nailed down better than that, but what is important is that you have a nice bunch of users from the best era.

There are types set for planes, which enable close guesses on age, but I'm not aware of a study for these tools that sets a standard. Have fun with them!

Steve