PDA

View Full Version : BridgeportTable Saw

Dean Baumgartner
03-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Since Uncle has been so nice as to return some of the money I let him use all year, it's time to finally replace the Delta 10" direct drive saw with a real saw.

Been looking at all of the contenders, Uni-Saw, Grizzley, Powermatic and if money were no object it'd be the PM66 no doubt. However since there's always something else to do with any extra and wanting to get the best value, I'm have been looking either at the Grizz 1023 SL or the Left tilt Uni. With the various deals and shipping charges there looks to be 2-300 between the two. I already have a fence (Vega) that I'm very happy with and will mount on whatever I buy so what fence a saw comes with isn't a concern.

I ran accross a post elsewhere about the Bridgeport. Price wise it falls between the two I've been looking at.

So, anybody with any experience?

Is this the same Bridgeport that makes industrial milling machines or is it a lower grade just selling on the name?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Dean

Joe Bourbois
03-04-2004, 1:09 AM
Dean, any of those 3 saws will do you well. It's really a buyer's market. I recently bought the Unisaw, but my choice came down to the same 3, the Grizzly, the Bridgewood and the Unisaw.

I chose the Unisaw for a lot of reasons, one of which was b/c I wanted a right-tilt and the Bridgewood right-tilt isn't as beefy as their left-tilt. If I had been considering a left-tilt, I likely would have ended up with the Bridgewood if I could have swung the extra cash outlay. With a mobile fence and shipping, it would have been about $250-$300 more or so than my Unisaw.

Good luck on your choice!

John Miliunas
03-04-2004, 8:07 AM
Dean, as Joe references it, I'm thinking you may have meant "Bridgewood", not "Bridgeport". If it *was* a Bridgeport, I'm thinking it would weigh in at about 3/4ton! :D

If you search around the Creek, you'll find much said about all of your choices, as well as some specific views on the BW. I chose the left-tilt BW10LTS. As Joe says, it's a heavier duty saw than their right-tilt. I think the right tilt from BW is pretty much identical to the Grizz, Fox and similar.

In a nutshell: I chose the BW10LTS because it's design is closest to the PM or General, yet quite a bit cheaper. It is a left tilt unit. I've dealt with Wilke Machinery before and they are GREAT folks to deal with! Yes, I paid more than some of the current Unisaw deals, but feel (IMHO!!!) I got more saw, as well.

Seeing as to how you're a fellow Cheesehead, is there a possibility you ever make it down to my end of the state? If so, you're most certainly welcome to stop over and check it out personally! Heck, even if you get a different saw before then, the offer still stands! :D Hmmmm...Now that I think about it, you've got Woodworker Supply right near you, donchya'? At any rate, I think you'd do well with any of the choices you're looking at. Regardless of which specific unit you choose, it will be so many levels above what you're currently running! :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-04-2004, 1:03 PM
Dean, as Joe references it, I'm thinking you may have meant "Bridgewood", not "Bridgeport". If it *was* a Bridgeport, I'm thinking it would weigh in at about 3/4ton! :D

If you search around the Creek, you'll find much said about all of your choices, as well as some specific views on the BW. I chose the left-tilt BW10LTS. As Joe says, it's a heavier duty saw than their right-tilt. I think the right tilt from BW is pretty much identical to the Grizz, Fox and similar.

In a nutshell: I chose the BW10LTS because it's design is closest to the PM or General, yet quite a bit cheaper. It is a left tilt unit. I've dealt with Wilke Machinery before and they are GREAT folks to deal with! Yes, I paid more than some of the current Unisaw deals, but feel (IMHO!!!) I got more saw, as well.

Seeing as to how you're a fellow Cheesehead, is there a possibility you ever make it down to my end of the state? If so, you're most certainly welcome to stop over and check it out personally! Heck, even if you get a different saw before then, the offer still stands! :D Hmmmm...Now that I think about it, you've got Woodworker Supply right near you, donchya'? At any rate, I think you'd do well with any of the choices you're looking at. Regardless of which specific unit you choose, it will be so many levels above what you're currently running! :cool:

Yes, My BAD. It is Bridgewood not Bridgeport. Been in too many machine shops looking at Bridgeport that I got ahead of my self.

I was thinking of the BW 10LTS myself. Reading one of the reviews there was some mention of the BW 12LTS having 2 arbors, one for the 1" used on 12" blades and the other 5/8" used on standard 10" saws. The extra depth of cut could come in handy once in a while. Looked like about a $400 price difference but also an upgrade from 3 hp to 5 hp which is probably overkill for most things too.

John, Yes I think there's a woodworkers supply in Appleton but we also have Woodworker's Depot. Not a chain but a very well run and competitively priced place. Could you e-mail me a couple of pics of your saw. The little picture that they have at Wilke's isn't that detailed.

Decisions..Decisions...Decisions.

Dean

John Miliunas
03-04-2004, 1:15 PM
Yes, My BAD. It is Bridgewood not Bridgeport. Been in too many machine shops looking at Bridgeport that I got ahead of my self.

I was thinking of the BW 10LTS myself. Reading one of the reviews there was some mention of the BW 12LTS having 2 arbors, one for the 1" used on 12" blades and the other 5/8" used on standard 10" saws. The extra depth of cut could come in handy once in a while. Looked like about a $400 price difference but also an upgrade from 3 hp to 5 hp which is probably overkill for most things too.

John, Yes I think there's a woodworkers supply in Appleton but we also have Woodworker's Depot. Not a chain but a very well run and competitively priced place. Could you e-mail me a couple of pics of your saw. The little picture that they have at Wilke's isn't that detailed.

Decisions..Decisions...Decisions.

Dean

Dean, I'll try to remember and shoot a couple for you this evening. Also, careful with the *12*LTS! Larger capacity? Yes. Same class as the BW10LTS? No!!! The BW10LTS is still the heavier duty of the three BW saws. If you need more rip capacity than a 10"-er can provide, I think I'd feel a LOT more comfortable doing it on a BS! Oh, and it was Woodworker's Depot I was thinking of. Never been there, but they sure had a real positive presence at the Milwaukee WW Show a couple weeks ago. Later...(If you don't get those pics from me by sometime this evening [after 8:00], don't feel bashful in dropping me a reminder. You know...CRS and all that stuff :rolleyes: ) :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-04-2004, 1:30 PM
Dean, I'll try to remember and shoot a couple for you this evening. Also, careful with the *12*LTS! Larger capacity? Yes. Same class as the BW10LTS? No!!! The BW10LTS is still the heavier duty of the three BW saws. If you need more rip capacity than a 10"-er can provide, I think I'd feel a LOT more comfortable doing it on a BS! Oh, and it was Woodworker's Depot I was thinking of. Never been there, but they sure had a real positive presence at the Milwaukee WW Show a couple weeks ago. Later...(If you don't get those pics from me by sometime this evening [after 8:00], don't feel bashful in dropping me a reminder. You know...CRS and all that stuff :rolleyes: ) :cool:

Thanks for the tip about the 12" not being as heavy duty. I just got off the phone with Wilkies and the sales guy told me the same thing. The 10" is the better made.

Another question, how was the fence that came with the saw? I've got the 50" Vega Pro that I think is even better than sliced bread so while I had them on the phone I asked what the deduct for the fence is..$100. The question is am I better off to take the fence even though I won't use it and try to sell it or just take the $100 deduct and move on with life.

Woodworkers Depot is great and their pricing is almost always at or below mail order, not even counting shipping. There is that pesky state tax plus the .5% we get to pay for the new stadium (which I can look at every day out of my office window) but all said I don't think I've mail ordered anything in almost 5 years unless they just didn't have it.

Dean

John Miliunas
03-04-2004, 2:02 PM
Dean, the fence is a direct Bies clone, real similar to the rest of the clones out there. I think it works just fine, but as long as you're happy with the Vega, that's great! I've never used the Vega, but from what I've read, it looks to be a better fence. Is the BW fence worth $100.00? You bet, BUT, then you have the hassle of selling it and very possibly shipping it, too. Them rails are *very* heavy and long. S/H would be high and probably not worth it to someone. Then there's the hassle of doing it, etc., etc.... I'll bet if you give Wilke a call back, and ask if you could substitute a WWII blade for the fence, they'd go for it! :D Good luck and I'll try to remember those pics later on.... :cool:

Tom Peterson
03-04-2004, 6:30 PM
Dean,
You may want to do a search on "Powermatic 66" on EBay. There is a place out west selling a couple of surplus machines that do not have the fence and rail system. Just the saw. The price they had was too high no one has made them an offer. I thought about piecing togetehr but I really do not have the time. best of luck, BTW, not affiliated with the seller or product. I am ordering my Unisaw with in a couple of weeks.

Dean Baumgartner
03-04-2004, 8:33 PM
Dean,
You may want to do a search on "Powermatic 66" on EBay. There is a place out west selling a couple of surplus machines that do not have the fence and rail system. Just the saw. The price they had was too high no one has made them an offer. I thought about piecing togetehr but I really do not have the time. best of luck, BTW, not affiliated with the seller or product. I am ordering my Unisaw with in a couple of weeks.

Tom,
Thanks for the tip, I just checked it out the only drawback is that it's 3 phase. By the time I get either a rotary phase converter or a new motor plus shipping I'm back into the cost of the Bridgewood or unisaw.

Thanks,

Dean

Ed Falis
03-05-2004, 1:27 PM
...Another question, how was the fence that came with the saw? I've got the 50" Vega Pro that I think is even better than sliced bread so while I had them on the phone I asked what the deduct for the fence is..$100. The question is am I better off to take the fence even though I won't use it and try to sell it or just take the $100 deduct and move on with life.
Dean

Dean,

I also have the BW10LTS. The fence is a big, heavy solid Bies clone. Since you already love the Vega, you probably want to stick with it (not that there's much of anything wrong with the one that comes with the saw). Since the fence is a clone, I'm not sure what the resale market will turn out to be for it. Worth more than $100? H*ll yes!

- Ed

Tyler Howell
03-05-2004, 3:22 PM
Dean,
You may want to do a search right here at SMC in the Classifieds. One of our own has a tempting deal on a PM 66 package worth the trip to God's country (Twin Cities ) to buy.;)
I'm having a tough time resisting but I have a lot of duplicate equipment.

Not selling PM 66 but I may brake down and grab this deal from Steve.

Dean Baumgartner
03-05-2004, 8:39 PM
Dean,
You may want to do a search right here at SMC in the Classifieds. One of our own has a tempting deal on a PM 66 package worth the trip to God's country (Twin Cities ) to buy.;)
I'm having a tough time resisting but I have a lot of duplicate equipment.

Not selling PM 66 but I may brake down and grab this deal from Steve.

Tyler,
Thanks for the tip, it's sold according to the post.
Dean

Tom Peterson
03-05-2004, 9:11 PM
Dean,
this is the link. 3 Hp 1 Ph. When I emailed him, he had three saws. one was sold recently for $1355.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3802118994&category=42296
as I said, not affiliated. I'd love the saw, it is a couple of hundred out of reach. I plan on checking out John M's Bridgewood prior to commiting on my Unisaw just in case. WWS special runs to April for the free shipping. best of luck

Tom Peterson
03-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Dean,
this is the link. 3 Hp 1 Ph. When I emailed him, he had three saws. one was sold recently for $1355.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3802118994&category=42296
as I said, not affiliated. I'd love the saw, it is a couple of hundred out of reach. I plan on checking out John M's Bridgewood prior to commiting on my Unisaw just in case. WWS special runs to April for the free shipping. best of luck

scott spencer
03-06-2004, 8:04 AM
Hi Dean - It's hard to go wrong with most of the cabinet saw choices we have now. The Griz offers great value, but most folks have to deal with shipping...Shop Fox might be a viable alternative to the Griz.

The BW gets high marks from everyone who owns it or has seen it, but s/h might become a factor. I noticed you didn't have Jet or General International 250/260 on your list....two similar saws that fill the price gap between the Griz and PM.

Dean Baumgartner
03-06-2004, 5:15 PM
Hi Dean - It's hard to go wrong with most of the cabinet saw choices we have now. The Griz offers great value, but most folks have to deal with shipping...Shop Fox might be a viable alternative to the Griz.

The BW gets high marks from everyone who owns it or has seen it, but s/h might become a factor. I noticed you didn't have Jet or General International 250/260 on your list....two similar saws that fill the price gap between the Griz and PM.

Scott,
When I looked at the General International it was higher priced by about $300 than the Delta is at Woodworkers Supply. Jet, I'm not so sure about. Reading the reviews and looking at people's comments seems like the quality of the Jet stuff has gone down lately. I'm kind of looking at this like I did when buying a big screen tv. Seems like every brand has people that love it. What I did is look through the reviews for negative comments. Bought the brand that while it didn't have the raves from some people, nobody that owned one had anything bad to say about it either. I've seen too many negative comments about jet lately to consider them for something that will be the major piece of equipment in my shop. Granted I haven't seen the quantity of comments on the Bridgewood as I have the Grizzley or Delta but I haven't seen one negative about them either.

Dean