PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 64a contractor style:is it worth the price?

Tim Allaire
01-28-2008, 2:35 PM
I have a friend that is interested in a saw for his shop (currently owns an old craftsman contractor and still married to the idea I guess) and asked me what I knew about new contractor style saws (again, it is what the man wants). First, I asked about hybrids and cabinet--no go (oh well, have you ever met somebody that is set in there ways?). I recommened the Ridgid 30xx and the Jet 708100. Then he asked what the top of the line contractor saw was (I told him I would get back to him): I did a little reasearch and low and behold "THE POWERMATIC" or at least it has the highest price. So he has some choices: is the Powermatic worth the price? I am afraid I do not know enough about contractor saws to sell the idea? Any other recommendations (NO CRAFTSMAN PLEASE).

Thanks

Tim

Jason Beam
01-28-2008, 2:44 PM
Having not used many other contractor saws, but owning the 64a, i can say it was worth every last cent I spent on it. SOLID performer. It's durable, weighs plenty, nothing's ever gummed up in the (... counting ...) three years i've had it. The only single issue that I'd attribute to being somewhat unique to the 64a is that the Beissemeyer aftermarket splitter won't fit it - they don't make one that will and it doesn't seem like there's much hope that they will.

Nothing else I have to complain about is unique to the 64a, it's just the nature of a contractor saw. It's a dang fine saw. I'd buy it again if I were looking for a contractor saw, without a doubt.

Edit: I should get into some of the why's when I bought mine...

Looking at a Jet, a delta and the PM on the show floor, I noticed a few things: The motor was just overall beefier with a higher service factor and drew just a little more amperage (i think it was all within .5 amps, though).

The trunion castings were ALL at least 20% bigger.

The arbor's bearings were all a good deal thicker in both width and diameter.

The power cord even felt a little bigger between the PM and the Delta. The Jet had the same size cord as the PM.

The relative casting thickness of the top and wings were overall thicker on the PM. The Delta was thicker than the Jet, but not as thick as the PM. Also, the webbing in the PM's castings was more substantial, too.

It had the cleanest machining job of the three saws.

Ultimately, the value was there and I'm glad that I chose it. Though, I may be after a cabinet saw one day, the PM is holding back that urge pretty well. I'm sure it'll be another few years before I want to switch it out, if ever. It's a good saw.

Lance Norris
01-28-2008, 2:46 PM
Any other recommendations

Tim

Id take a look at Grizzly.

Norman Pyles
01-28-2008, 2:55 PM
How much does he want to spend? I would also look at the General, I think it's still made on this side of the ocean, in Canada.

Art Mann
01-28-2008, 3:04 PM
The 64A is indeed one of the best contractor style saws you can buy, if you get it with a good fence and cast iron wings. Amazon is selling them for between $750 and $1450, depending on configuration. At those prices, your friend has a lot of options, many of which would be better if I were the one spending the money.

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 4:28 PM
I have a friend that is interested in a saw for his shop (currently owns an old craftsman contractor and still married to the idea I guess) and asked me what I knew about new contractor style saws (again, it is what the man wants). First, I asked about hybrids and cabinet--no go (oh well, have you ever met somebody that is set in there ways?). I recommened the Ridgid 30xx and the Jet 708100. Then he asked what the top of the line contractor saw was (I told him I would get back to him): I did a little reasearch and low and behold "THE POWERMATIC" or at least it has the highest price. So he has some choices: is the Powermatic worth the price? I am afraid I do not know enough about contractor saws to sell the idea? Any other recommendations (NO CRAFTSMAN PLEASE).

Thanks

Tim
If your looking for the most expensive, obviously you haven't heard, or forgot that SawStop is comeing out with a Contractors saw.

Greg Cole
01-28-2008, 4:32 PM
Another vote for General International.... (the contractor saw is made in Tawian IIRC). Mine's been around a few years now & never had a complaint other than the typical coulda, shoulda, woulda's of buying a cabinet saw.

Greg

Jason Scott
01-28-2008, 5:09 PM
My vote is for the 64A, it is the saw I own, and yes I also upgraded from a Craftsman (which was horrible IMO)...I agree they are expensive, but when I was looking I wanted one of the best...I actually found mine on craigslist about 150 miles away, it was new in the box, never opened, a guy had bought several at a liquidation and sold all of them for I think around 700, I spoke to him for several weeks and when I got there I actually got it for 500.00 :eek: he was feeling generous as we had agreed on 600...So you can get a good deal on one just look around, IMHO 700-1000 is not too much for a Powermatic, it is the "gold standard" and the difference between the craftsman I had and this saw is the difference between a hundai and a ferrari, no joke. The fence system that came with mine was the micro-glide (pretecessor to the accu-glide) and is dead on accurate everytime once you set it up. Only thing I would want any different is a cabinet saw, and not b/c I need one, they just look cool. This thing weighs a ton, so it is stable as all get out, I just can't say enough good things about it, although the only experience I have is with my Craftsman. hope this helps some.

scott spencer
01-28-2008, 5:20 PM
The PM64a is very similar to the GI contractor saw...both well made and well proven, but neither have design advantages over hybrids or cabinet saws, and since he'll be spending top dollar for one, there's no cost savings either. Have you shown your friend exactly what else he can get for the same money? Seems to me that he's insisting on paying top dollar for a carbureter when he could get fuel injectors. ;)

Tim Morton
01-28-2008, 5:22 PM
Is it bad when you can read a topic like this and you know what answers will be given before you read them;)

George Summers
01-28-2008, 5:30 PM
I've had my 64A for about seven years, purchased used, six months old with very little use. I did get a good price on it. But, I love the fence and my fence even more than the current 64A fences. My fence faces are laminated ply which I like better than the UHMW faces on current fences. If you go with a contractors saw and want the best, PM is it.

George

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 5:47 PM
The PM64a is very similar to the GI contractor saw...both well made and well proven, but neither have design advantages over hybrids or cabinet saws, and since he'll be spending top dollar for one, there's no cost savings either. Have you shown your friend exactly what else he can get for the same money? Seems to me that he's insisting on paying top dollar for a carbureter when he could get fuel injectors. ;)
The hybrids are more hype than anything, 1/4 hp more is not going to be a substantial gain. Most have the table mounted trunions like the Contractors saws do, and the last review I red on 7 or 8 different brands of Hybrids the Craftsman 22124 rated poorly on dust collection and had the weakest cabinet. The hybrids may be ok for the first time saw buyer, but don't offer much of a gain for someone that allready has a Contractors saw in my opinion.

Homer Faucett
01-28-2008, 6:09 PM
I looked at the PM 64A when I bought my Delta contractor saw. It's a nice saw, and generally considered one of the best contractor's saws on the market. The price is very steep, though, if you buy it at full list price. I saw a bunch of them sold off at our local Rockler last year around Christmas time for around $500 with the 50" bies clone fence, so you can find them at well below their average selling price (although this may have been a one time thing). At that price, I think it would be a great deal.

At list price, I would, as others indicate, probably buy a hybrid or even the Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw (last time I checked, it was around $1000, and an impressive saw). Heck, at that price, you may be able to wait around and find a good deal on a new Unisaw or Jet with the riving knife.

I'm not cabinet saw snob, as I'll tell you straight up that my Delta contractor saw with a thin kerf blade would cut every bit as well as my Sawstop with the full kerf blade. However, if I'm planning to spend cabinet saw money, I'm going to get a cabinet saw, not a contractor style saw.

Just my .02. Good luck in helping your friend make his decision.

My vote is for the 64A, it is the saw I own, and yes I also upgraded from a Craftsman (which was horrible IMO)...I agree they are expensive, but when I was looking I wanted one of the best...I actually found mine on craigslist about 150 miles away, it was new in the box, never opened, a guy had bought several at a liquidation and sold all of them for I think around 700, I spoke to him for several weeks and when I got there I actually got it for 500.00 :eek: he was feeling generous as we had agreed on 600...So you can get a good deal on one just look around, IMHO 700-1000 is not too much for a Powermatic, it is the "gold standard" and the difference between the craftsman I had and this saw is the difference between a hundai and a ferrari, no joke. The fence system that came with mine was the micro-glide (pretecessor to the accu-glide) and is dead on accurate everytime once you set it up. Only thing I would want any different is a cabinet saw, and not b/c I need one, they just look cool. This thing weighs a ton, so it is stable as all get out, I just can't say enough good things about it, although the only experience I have is with my Craftsman. hope this helps some.

scott spencer
01-28-2008, 6:32 PM
...The hybrids may be ok for the first time saw buyer, but don't offer much of a gain for someone that allready has a Contractors saw in my opinion.

I agree that, depending on the cost to upgrade, there's not always a lot to be gained with a hybrid for someone who owns a full featured contractor saw, but for someone who's in the market for a new saw, what advantages does the PM64a have over a full featured hybrid?

Simon Dupay
01-28-2008, 7:28 PM
I have a 64S and for the money you would spend on the PM it's not wroth it. Cheap handwheels and a stick-on blade tilt protractor thats already starting to peel off I was disappointed with it. If you want TOL then get the US made delta.

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 7:31 PM
I agree that, depending on the cost to upgrade, there's not always a lot to be gained with a hybrid for someone who owns a full featured contractor saw, but for someone who's in the market for a new saw, what advantages does the PM64a have over a full featured hybrid?
Probably none, but a cabinet saw will have alot more for a little over, if not equal in price of a full featured Hybrid. Such as the Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw if your shoping price and features.

Keith Starosta
01-28-2008, 9:03 PM
For what it's worth......I love my 64A! Love the fence, love the table.....strong!

- Keith

frank shic
01-28-2008, 9:37 PM
i like my PM64 as well but if i had to do it all over again, i think i'd choose the ridgid model instead - it would match better with the jointer and the planer!

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 10:15 PM
i like my PM64 as well but if i had to do it all over again, i think i'd choose the ridgid model instead - it would match better with the jointer and the planer!
Krylon spray bomb ?

frank shic
01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
the home depot orange grows on you after a while!

Edward Oleen
05-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Ran across this while looking for something else...

I've got a Model 63 - the right-tilt predecessor of the '64 and 64a. It is a solid machine. I've had it for more than 10 years now, and it still runs great.

I did do some upgrades: I got the In-line Industries machined pulleys and link belt, as well as the PALS (Positive Alignment and Locking System - two little brackets that fit under the rear trunnion mounting bolts and allow you to align the saw using an Allen wrench to turn two 32tpi cap screws - this makes alignment to within a 1000th or so a lead pipe cinch).

I also bought the In-line Industries A-line-It kit, back when there was only one - the one Jerry sells as the "deluxe" kit now-a-days.

Mine came with the then-standard Vega fence - made for PM), which has built-in fine adjustment.

The motor is a big, hefty unit that easily handles oak and other hardwoods.

I can't tell you how many board feet I've run through the saw - I don't keep track.

Yes - dust collection is a problem, but when isn't it unless you have a cabinet saw?

Bill Graham
05-02-2015, 7:18 PM

Any other recommendations (NO CRAFTSMAN PLEASE).

Thanks

Tim

Sawstop CNS, hands down.

Tom M King
05-02-2015, 9:28 PM
Ran across this while looking for something else...

I've got a Model 63 - the right-tilt predecessor of the '64 and 64a. It is a solid machine. I've had it for more than 10 years now, and it still runs great.

I did do some upgrades: I got the In-line Industries machined pulleys and link belt, as well as the PALS (Positive Alignment and Locking System - two little brackets that fit under the rear trunnion mounting bolts and allow you to align the saw using an Allen wrench to turn two 32tpi cap screws - this makes alignment to within a 1000th or so a lead pipe cinch).

I also bought the In-line Industries A-line-It kit, back when there was only one - the one Jerry sells as the "deluxe" kit now-a-days.

Mine came with the then-standard Vega fence - made for PM), which has built-in fine adjustment.

The motor is a big, hefty unit that easily handles oak and other hardwoods.

I can't tell you how many board feet I've run through the saw - I don't keep track.

Yes - dust collection is a problem, but when isn't it unless you have a cabinet saw?

I still have, and use occasionally, a left tilt model 62 that I bought new I think in 1974. It's quite heavy for a contractors saw with cast iron top and wings, and has done a lot of good work. I burned the motor out in the early '80s and put a 2hp on it. The only problem I've ever had with it is having to blow sawdust out of the switch every few years.

It has two fold down metal handles on the front, and two fixed wheels on the back legs that stay just slightly above the floor. Fold the handles out, and it's easy to move around like a wheelbarrow.

I went to a cabinet saw just for good dust collection.

Gary Bain
08-14-2015, 7:31 AM
Had my 64a since 1999. A lot of heavy use. Not one single problem. Still passes the nickle test. I want a Sawstop PCS not because I need a better saw, just a safer one. There is a difference in buying a table saw in 2015 than in 1999. Would I buy a 64a today? No. Would I buy it again if it were 1999? Yes. Still an excellent saw and still used daily.

glenn bradley
08-14-2015, 8:33 AM
The 64A is indeed one of the best contractor style saws you can buy, if you get it with a good fence and cast iron wings. Amazon is selling them for between $750 and $1450, depending on configuration. At those prices, your friend has a lot of options, many of which would be better if I were the one spending the money.

I'm right in line with this. Is this going to be a high-end job-site saw? If not and someone were asking me (and were blind to the error they were making) I would have to extract myself, tactfully, from the goings on. The contractor saw design is a purposeful compromise to reduce weight, allow portability (and truly portable saws have come so far now) and so forth. There are so many better tools for the job and I just realized I am rambling and this post is of no help at all; I apologize ;-)