PDA

View Full Version : Bosch colt dovetails?

Joe Chritz
01-28-2008, 1:00 PM
My searchfoo must be weak because I could only find two threads involving all the above.

Anyone here use a Bosch colt for dovetails? Specifically half blind dovetails mostly in baltic birch or poplar.

I have a dozen drawers to do for a kitchen right now and the idea of having a dedicated router set for 1/2 blind dovetails seems like money well spent.

The Colt seem like a good choice at a bit under $100, light weight and easy to handle. The smaller base shouldn't be a problem since a lot of base is off the template anyway.

I use a Leigh D4 and would get the base for standard screw in guides.

Thanks in advance

Joe

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 1:06 PM
I love my Colt but I think this is asking too much of it. I use a 1-3/4 HP Body-grip Milwaukee and that would be about as light as I would go.

Jim Becker
01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Believe it or not, cutting dovetails is relatively hard work for the router because of the "full bite" you have to take. Even with a quick climb cut across the face (for a clean edge) you still have to remove a lot of material. I don't think I'd be happy with less than a typical 11 amp or so fixed base router for this job. (I actually use either my Dewalt 618 or my Festool OF1010 for dovetail work)

frank shic
01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
a pc 690 will do the job nice and not put your wallet out too much! they show up on craigslist and ebay all the time.

Joe Chritz
01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
I just did them all with a PC690. I have that and a bosch magnesium but I was looking to set one up and leave it for the dovetails.

As it only took about 5 minutes to set it I am thinking it probably isn't worth my money to set one up.

It would take a lot of 5-10 minute set ups to pay off make good an investment on a dedicated router. If I was doing 12 drawers every week it would be a different story.

Joe