PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Peppermill

Brian Brown
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
My father is a pepperaholic. So for his birthday, I made him a peppermill. I didn't have the right size forstner bits, and I work on a midi with a very short quill travel, so the traditional method was out. Instead, I cut a boatload of 2.75 X 2.75 X 5/8 blocks, stacked and laminated them. Each block was turned approximately 1/32 of a turn relative to the block below. Had I glued each block flush, one on top of the other, the side grain would have left a light colored stripe straight up the side, and the end grain would have left a dark stripe. The plan was to get the light colored stripe to twist around the peppermill, to visually pull the eye around the peppermill. The stripe does twist, but I am not really crazy about the laminations showing in the finished piece. The other advantage to the stacked construction, is that I could turn the interior diameter to fit the mechanism, rather than drill it. I really didn't want to spend the money for forstner bits when I don't think I will be turning many peppermills. Your comments good or bad are welcome.

Jerry Casler
01-28-2008, 12:56 PM
looks Nice Brian. As soon as I get my lathe and a little experience thats what i will be doing along with salt mills and wine stoppers and that cool looking toothpickpick holder for family Christmas gifts for this Dec.

TYLER WOOD
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
AWESOME PIECE< I love the way the grain runs everywhere. Really sets the piece apart from others I have seen. Some may disagree with the grain patter allowed to change, but for me it works, and works really well for my eyes. Great job!

Bill Stevener
01-28-2008, 1:25 PM
Very unique idea Brian. I like pepper mills and yours -- your Dad's is very nice, I am sure he will like it.
I have turned many pepper mills and have numerous gigs set up for the same.
What mechanism did you use, the CrushGrind??

Brian Brown
01-28-2008, 1:34 PM
Bill,

I did use the crushGrind. When I picked it up at Woodcraft, I didn't know anything about peppermills. Total experiment. I kept saying I wanted to try it, and SWMBO pushed me to do it.

Steve Busey
01-28-2008, 2:43 PM
I love the segmented grain pattern - necessity (or a limited budget) is the mother of invention!

Bob Hallowell
01-28-2008, 3:28 PM
Brian I think it looks great!

Skip Spaulding
01-28-2008, 3:32 PM
Sure looks good from here!

Ben Gastfriend
01-28-2008, 4:55 PM
That looks really good! If the method works, then use it! Very nice job, I'm sure the recipient will love it.

Pepperaholic???? :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2008, 5:55 PM
Looks good. Ya do what you have to do to get it done.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2008, 7:02 PM
Very nice work Brian! I am sure your Dad will love it! Great form, rich color and finish! Seriously nice work!

Glenn Hodges
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
All that imaginative work paid off in a nice functional piece.

Tom Sherman
01-30-2008, 2:32 AM
Nice job Brian, I like how you turned the different segments, gives it a different look.

Alex Elias
01-30-2008, 4:54 AM
Outstanding experiment you have done. Congratulations. The lamination the finish and the shape look superv.
Also my regards for the photogaphy. How many sources of light did you use 2 or 3? Looks like 2 direct light from the back and one difused on the fron right side. I'd be interseted so can could try to emulate your set up.
Thanks

Brian Brown
01-30-2008, 1:58 PM
Alex,

I actually used 4 light sources. 1 on each side about 45 degrees to the rear, and 1 from the camera right side, and one directly behind the camera. The lighting benefits from some advanced techniques and equipment to keep the bright reflections from showing on what is a semi glossy surface. I do this for a living (photography not turning). This is not my best work, because I was experimenting with a new technique, and my wife was tapping her foot behind me waiting so we could go to give it to dad.

Alex Elias
01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info. So tell me somo more info if its ok with you. Is the 4th light on the same axis on top of the camera where the flash would typically be? Are the light reflected, direct, or diffused? If you have a picture of the set up would be great.
Again thanks.
Alex

Brian Brown
01-31-2008, 4:12 PM
Alex,

I have promised in this forum to continue the photo tutorial I started about 9 months ago, but my work schedule, teaching, trying to get involved in the new turning club that just started, and SWMBO feeling like I should occasionally acknowledge her existence, has kept me from it. I will get back to it eventually. I know...best laid plans and all that. To answer your specific questions, light 4 is placed directly above the camera, and although higher than a traditional on camera flash, the height is not all that important. The lights are direct, diffused, and in some cases polarized (the more advanced and expensive part). As time allows, I am doing some experimenting with an easily reproducable setup using commonly available tools rather than pro equipment, and will add that to my tutorial if I am successful. Until then, here are the links to the previous tutorials. Sorry, I am a poor writer. I am working on that.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57691, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57909
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59194
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59614

Alex Elias
01-31-2008, 5:24 PM
Thanks very much for the info, valuable indeed. I see what I can do to improve my photography. I guess I need to find a place where I can experiment with different set ups untill I find what appeals to me.
Thanks again