PDA

View Full Version : Best budget dovetail jig?

Chris Yarish
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I am anticipating responses like Leigh and other big ticket items, so please understand that I'm looking for the best budget dovetail jig (under $150). If you could also comment on ease of use, max length etc. I am looking to buy one, but being in Canada, there are limited options brought in to actually look at.

Thanks

Jon Bonham
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I did a review of the Jet dovetail jig I bought. I don't think a single person replied to it, but it was pretty good if I do say so myself. I think I paid less than $90 out the door with a collar bushing and an Amana dovetail bit. I posted a couple pics of the joints I made. I've since used it to build about 20 drawers for my garage with equally easy and satisfactory results.

Brian Penning
01-28-2008, 1:10 PM
The Porter Cable 4212 is what I have and would buy it again. Good reviews pretty well everywhere and isn't too expensive.
Should be able to find it locally.

Peter Froh
01-28-2008, 1:15 PM
Porter Cable 4212 gets good reviews. I've never used one and own a D4R.

House of Tools has both the 4212 ($220) and 4210 ($160)

Jerome Hanby
01-28-2008, 1:59 PM
If you don't need "real" half-blind dovetails, it's hard to beat the price on the Stot's jig. You use it to make your own dovetail jig of the length and spacing (actually choose between the two available spacings) you need. It's $40, comes with great instructions and videos. Add ~$45 for a router bits and bearings along with some scrap mdf and you're all set.

Christopher Pine
01-28-2008, 2:37 PM
This jig I think will only do through dovetails. I have one and thats all I have ever used it for. It is great! Very simple to setup and use! Works great!

Grant Morris
01-28-2008, 3:42 PM
Chris, I did some research into this just a few days ago. I spent quite a bit of time comparing and contrasting various jigs to find out if I could get the features I wanted without having to drop $500.00 for a seldom used tool. Well, I found some videos the other day on the Porter Cable website that blew me away. The PC 4212 model has an impressive array of features and flexibility. Watch the videos, read the manuals and I think you will be duly impressed too.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/jigs/

Best of all, this is on sale at Tools-Plus.com right now for $137.99.

I am not affiliated with Porter Cable or Tools-Plus.com in any way shape or form.

This jig can also be used just like the Keller jig by mounting it to the appropriate piece of wood. It's the only Porter Cable jig that has this feature too I believe!

Tom Cowie
01-28-2008, 4:11 PM
This jig I think will only do through dovetails. I have one and thats all I have ever used it for. It is great! Very simple to setup and use! Works great!

Another vote for the Keller jig if you don't want to wait on saving for the Leigh it's my favorite.

Tom

Dan Henry
01-28-2008, 4:51 PM
saw the Rocker jig at the store on Saturday it look perry good also, I do not have a jig but I am interested also. How does the Rocker and PC compare??

Dan