PDA

View Full Version : 14" w/ riser or 17/18" Bandsaw

Justin McCurdy
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I have a small 10" Bandsaw that I use for intricate cutting right now. I would like to own a saw that I can keep setup for resawing. So, a couple of questions:

1) Is 1.5HP enough to push a 3/4" blade through 12" boards without hiccup?

2) Will I be happy with the results from a 3/4" blade for resawing?

3) Will I regret purchasing the 14" bandsaw shortly after I get it home?

Thanks everyone...

John Bailey
01-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Resawing is not only a matter of horsepower. The strength of the frame comes into play also. If your purpose is resawing, you will be much better off with the larger bandsaw.

John

Dave Falkenstein
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a 14" Jet bandsaw. It might be a 1HP version. Timberwolf recommended running 1/2" resaw blades, not 3/4". I think generally, 14" bandsaws are going to feel the pain running a 3/4" blade through 12" of material. If you want to do that kind of resawing on a regular basis, and if you have the budget and the space, I'd be looking at bigger saws.

Wade Lippman
01-28-2008, 1:53 PM
3) Will I regret purchasing the 14" bandsaw shortly after I get it home?

I had a 14" for about a year and upgraded to a 19". I was lucky to sell the 14" for what I paid for it (thanks to Amazon, who sold it at 40% off originally), but still wish I had done it right the first time and saved the trouble. The difference is pretty dramatic.

The nice thing is that a big bandsaw doesn't take up any more room than a small one, not is it all that much more expensive; unlike big jointers or tablesaws...

David Weaver
01-28-2008, 2:10 PM
I have sort of an amalgamation of what you're talking about - one of the 1.75 hp 18 inch bandsaws (Jet JWBS-18X). Power isn't that much of an issue with a good blade, like a timberwolf. It WAS an issue with the stock blade before I had the guides right, too (but I may have been able to make it bind with 3 hp in that case). I use mine for a combination of things, and it will resaw large wood that size OK, especially with a new blade. If I was going to resaw that kind of stuff all the time, though, and that was 90% of the work the saw did, I'd opt for a 220 saw with more power.

that said, the motor has enough poo to make it so that it isn't an intolerable experience, and for anyone who is a hobbyist, it's fine.

I'm not really sure how you would use the 5 hp that some 16 and 18 inch saws are starting to come with - unless you wanted to bend a really big blade.

The resaw blade I use now is a 3/4ths inch 3tpi table saw. It's amazing how much it can cut when it's set up correctly.

Without a doubt, get the big saw. You'll really appreciate the weight, rigidity and stability of it.