PDA

View Full Version : New 8" Steel City Jointer- Pictures What would you do?

Rickey Reynolds
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Picked up a new 8" SC Jointer on Saturday from Redmond Machinery in ATL. When I got it wrestled up on the base last night I noticed a pit or chip out on the outfeed table about 3" from the left end 1" up from the edge on the surface of the table. It is about 1/4" basically round maybe 1/32 deep guessing.

Does anyone see a performace issue?

What approach would you take with Redmond/SC?

Outside of that the jointer was well packaged and looks wonderful. Can't wait to finsh the setup and flatten some wood.

Dale Osowski
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I'd fill it with epoxy, lead or solder. Sand it smooth and use the jointer.

Dale

Joe Chritz
01-28-2008, 1:05 PM
On the face (ground surface) or the edge (the casting)?

It shouldn't effect performance unless the surrounding surface is damaged (high or low from plane) but it is beyond what I would call superficial cosmetic issues.

If on the edge then I would consider it cosmetic only and not worry about it.

The Steel city is a good unit but I put it in the same classification as the Grizzly (which I have). If I wanted perfect cosmetics and polished surfaces than I need to pay the premium for them.

Pretty paint and a polish job doesn't help it make a crooked board any flatter.

Joe

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 1:07 PM
Picked up a new 8" SC Jointer on Saturday from Redmond Machinery in ATL. When I got it wrestled up on the base last night I noticed a pit or chip out on the outfeed table about 3" from the left end 1" up from the edge on the surface of the table. It is about 1/4" basically round maybe 1/32 deep guessing.

Does anyone see a performace issue?

What approach would you take with Redmond/SC?

Outside of that the jointer was well packaged and looks wonderful. Can't wait to finsh the setup and flatten some wood.
If it's something that bothers you, call Redmond and see what they say. If your still unsure after that, then call Steel City. It doesn't sound like much to get too worked up about.

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 1:10 PM
My dad has a jointer that must be at least 50 years old. The table is fine. I would not want to start with a blemish; it would haunt me. Of course I'm really anal so don't judge this based on the opinion of a man who hangs his shirts in the closet grouped by long and short sleeves and sub-grouped by the main color content.

Rickey Reynolds
01-28-2008, 1:12 PM
It is on the ground surface. The location I don't think will impact performance assuming it does not spread. It should never have passed inspection however.

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 1:25 PM
Just a P.s. If you contact Steel City I'll bet they will WANT to swap it out. That was their reaction on a minor issue of mine. We seem to be hearing more QC issues with SCTW, I hope they aren't slipping.

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 1:26 PM
It is on the ground surface. The location I don't think will impact performance assuming it does not spread. It should never have passed inspection however.
I'd have to agree that it shouldn't of passed inspection now that I've seen it.

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 1:51 PM
Just a P.s. If you contact Steel City I'll bet they will WANT to swap it out. That was their reaction on a minor issue of mine. We seem to be hearing more QC issues with SCTW, I hope they aren't slipping.
Don't you think it would be alot simpler to just call Redmond first ? I don't think anybody but Steel City and their distributors has the authority to say what Steel City will WANT to do.

Rob Watanabe
01-28-2008, 2:01 PM
If it bothers you just call them and get it over with. I would.

Bruce Page
01-28-2008, 2:30 PM
I'd fill it with epoxy, lead or solder. Sand it smooth and use the jointer.

Dale

Ditto what Dale said. It wouldn't be worth the trouble for me to return it.

Eddie Darby
01-28-2008, 6:14 PM
From what I have heard about SC is that they have good customer service, so I would ask that it be replaced. Should be no problem.
Please let us know how it goes if you do decide to have it fixed.

John Thompson
01-28-2008, 6:45 PM
"Just a P.s. If you contact Steel City I'll bet they will WANT to swap it out. That was their reaction on a minor issue of mine. We seem to be hearing more QC issues with SCTW, I hope they aren't slipping".. Glenn Bradley.

I have my doubts that is happening, Glenn. I think you are just seeing more Steel City sold at this point and your going to get defects, etc. in numbers. I would also contact Redmond first as they are the SC rep in this case. Then go directly to Steel City if not satisfied by Redmond which I doubt also. I have dealt with Redmond for years and they are excellent. My dealings with Steel City have been extremely positive also.

SC is not the only company that has issues of this nature. I recieved an industrial mortice machine that the truck freight carriew slammed into with a fork lift blade and crused the electrical control box cover. I have recieved Bosch that had a defective switch out of the box. I worked with both Merceded and BMW and it would be foolish IMO to think for one moment you cannot get a defect or even a lemmon auto on delivery.

But.. in lieu of immediately posting something like this.. I (and probably you and others) would simply call the source.. the problem gets fixed and it's done and over with. You don't need major surgery aimed at a bleeding artery when a simple band-aid would have stopped the bleeding on a flesh wound.

But.. if a real problem didn't get fixed.... then you would hear about it here and elsewhere. Just the horse should always be placed before the cart from my view of the world.

Dave Lehnert
01-28-2008, 7:19 PM
Would you buy an apple in the store if you noticed it had a rotten spot in it? Yes , you could fill it in and most likely not have a problem. But If I were in your shoes I would have just packed it up and returned it to the place of purchase. A hole in the table surface is totally unacceptable.

Andy Livingston
01-28-2008, 7:41 PM
I've bought stuff at Redmond before and have had no problems returning defective tools. They were very accommodating. I'd call first to make sure they have a replacement. Then I'd pack it up and return it for a new one. Just my two cents.

C Scott McDonald
01-28-2008, 7:57 PM
Would you buy an apple in the store if you noticed it had a rotten spot in it? Yes , you could fill it in and most likely not have a problem. But If I were in your shoes I would have just packed it up and returned it to the place of purchase. A hole in the table surface is totally unacceptable.

I agree, it defeats the purpose of buying a new tool. If he where to turn around and retry to sell the jointer the resale value would be impacted by the hole greatly. Have them order you a new bed. Then enjoy your new jointer!

Chuck Wintle
01-28-2008, 8:04 PM

Rickey,
Don't delay in calling customer service. For Steel City it is not a big deal to send out a new part. just my 2 cents.:D

Greg Funk
01-28-2008, 8:29 PM
Since you paid for a new jointer with no flaws that is what I would expect. If they didn't deliver that you have two choices:
1. Ask for a new jointer replaced at their cost
2. Request a discount for receiving damaged merchandise.

Personally, I would probably choose option 2 and I would be looking for a 10-15% discount. It will likely be cheaper for them to send you a cheque than it will be to swap you a new jointer.

Greg

Rickey Reynolds
01-28-2008, 9:42 PM
Here are the pictures the pit is on the outfeed side and there is a small burr on the infeed edge.:confused:

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 9:48 PM
Here are the pictures the pit is on the outfeed side and there is a small burr on the infeed edge.:confused:
That doesn't look like a chip or a pit, it looks like something hit it sometime after it was machined since it has a burr, the metal is compressed in both spots the way I see it. How was the packageing or crate ? Did it show any exterior damage around those locations ? If not it must of slipped by quality control somehow. What did Redmond or SC say about it ?

Gary Keedwell
01-28-2008, 9:52 PM
Picked up a new 8" SC Jointer on Saturday from Redmond Machinery in ATL.[QUOTE] When I got it wrestled up on the base last night I noticed a pit or chip out on the outfeed table about 3" from the left end 1" up from the edge on the surface of the table.

Chuck is right...it looks like a dent....and not that big a dent, at that.:o
Gary

Rickey Reynolds
01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Packing was great it did not happen in transport IMO. I called Redmond about 1:00 on return call yet.

Jason Beam
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Heck yeah ... that's damage - and could affect performance. It WILL as-is - that burr alone will give you heck. I'd also be concerned about the straightness of the bed at this point - something hit hard enough to make that dent, it probably tweaked things a bit no doubt.

Sean Troy
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Doesn't look like it happened in shipping but it would have to take a fork or something like that I would think. i would bet they'll work it out to your satisfaction.

Scot Ferraro
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I would get them to replace it -- you paid for a brand new machine and it should not be damaged on the tables...

Scot

Bob Malone
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Rickey,

It seems you have a small imperfection or flaw in the top of the jointer outfeed table. It would be prudent to notify Remond and SC for two reasons:
1) In the future if you have any issues with the jointer outfeed table, which I doubt you will, you have followed the correct procedure in advising of a future possible warranty claim. Don't forget the model and serial number!
2) You will have helped SC catch a problem that got past Quality Control, so they keep an eye on that particular "batch" to see if it is something other than an isolated case.

I have the same jointer and mine is great! My advise is report the problem, patch the blemish and enjoy the jointer.

Bob in Calgary

John Thompson
01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Definitely a dent caused by getting popped by something, Rickey. Neither would be a factor I would be concerned with as it won't affect a cut. I would take couple of light passes with a small file to knock off any jagged burr and put it to work.

But... I understand you're not me an may be concerned with cosmetics as most that purchase a new machine usually are. If so.. you did the right thing by calling Redmond to ask for a replacement if that is indeed what you wish and you certainly have a right to do so. Redmond is backed by Steel City, so it all falls back in Steel City's lap.

BTW.. from my dealing with them on 3 differenct machines, that's not a bad thing. They said 5 Year Warranty and everything I have seen so far indicates they mean 5 Year Warranty.

Good luck, Rickey....

Edit.. I just read Bob's reply after mine, so I will metion that one of the 3 SC machines I own is that jointer. I have run over 8000 linear feet through it in about 10 months and she just sits there beggin for more. ha.. ha...

Sarge..

Rickey Reynolds
01-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Assume I did go the patch route what would be the best way to do that without potentially making it worse?

Chuck Lenz
01-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm suprised it didn't crack the casting. That would be my biggest concern that sometime in the near future it didn't develope a crack, or that there is one now that isn't visable. I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to live with.

Mark Rios
01-28-2008, 11:31 PM
The burr, I would just file/sand it and be done with it. However, the pit/hole/dent isn't something that I'd be happy with. As someone mentioned, it would definitely affect the resale value. I'm sure (from ALL of the great CS that has been heard from SC customers) that SC will take care of it no problem.

But didn't we have a great, big fiasco with Redmond awhile back? Something about they didn't want to really worry about getting a problem machine, or two?, taken care of and General stepped in and saved the day and was the hero? (Ya again to General!)

Anyone remember that episode?

Steel City will probably be all over getting the problem resolved. From the last go-round, Redmond might get back to you sometime in July. jmo :D

John Thompson
01-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Aremco epoxy even though I don't know the cost? **But..... **I would wait till you hear back from Redmond before I did anything and wouldn't be a bad idea to just call Steel City customer service to see what there take is....

I would just leave it alone with the exception of taking any rough edge off it there is one if I went that route. **Again.. But..** a valid point has been brought up about a possible stress to cast iron in the table. So.. even if you do repair, I would get with Steel City and have them make a note of it in their service files with your serial number for future reference just in case the cast iron was stressed from a hard hit which it looks as if it took somewhere along the line.

Again.. IMO, at this point just wait for Redmond or call Steel City!
BTW.. where are you located?

Regards..

Sarge..

Rod Upfold
01-29-2008, 7:39 AM
Is this going to be another jointer/Redmond problem like last year's General jointer and Redmond problem...when General stepped in to end the stalemate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59207&highlight=Redmond

Rod

Mike Gabbay
01-29-2008, 9:29 AM
Maybe I'm too picky....

If you were buying a new car with a scratch on the paint or a dent would you accept that? I work hard for my money and don't have a lot of extra income for tools. If I bought something new I would expect to have it in new condition. The dent in the table may not impact the performance but think about if you ever wanted to sell it. The resale price is now reduced because it is there.

I'd have Redmond or SC replace it. If Redmond won't stand by their sale then it is worth sharing that with the forum. It never hurts to share the thread with them as a motivating tool.

my 2 cents....

Brodie Brickey
01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
To be honest, I would have rather seen this thread start with I got this new jointer, there was a problem, I contacted the manufacturer/retailer. They fixed it or they didn't. Don't they have great or x level of service.

At this point, you can't just fill it. With the potential damage done to the manufacturer & retailer reputations', we really need to see what they say.

As a retailer, I can say that there are some things that are outside my ability to ensure perfect quality control. What I can do is make sure that my customer is happy that I went as far as I could to resolve the issue.

In your case, this isn't a $10 item. You put down some significant money for this machinery. You do deserve to be both happy with it and secure in the knowledge that should you resell it to upgrade to a larger jointer in the future, the only marks, blemishes, and rust will be there due to your maintenance and how you used or abused the tool.

I really do hope they fix your problem in a way that makes all or at least most of us consider using Redmond and Steel City in the future for our large purchases.

Best Regards,

Brodie Brickey

Rickey Reynolds
01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Just got a call from Rich at Redmond it did take about 22 hours but lets put that aside for right now. I have the jointer setting on the base in my shop at this point cleaned up but nothing else has been done. ERRRRRRRRR I can't wait to fire that baby up.

I picked up the jointer since Redmond is local for me and Rich suggested I bring it back 40 miles or so and he would swap it out. I suggested he deliver to me another jointer and pick up the damaged one. He indicated he would have to communicate with SC to see if they will pay for the new delivery. If he comes back with a no I will call SC personally. I will keep you updated.

Chuck Lenz
01-29-2008, 1:20 PM
Just got a call from Rich at Redmond it did take about 22 hours but lets put that aside for right now. I have the jointer setting on the base in my shop at this point cleaned up but nothing else has been done. ERRRRRRRRR I can't wait to fire that baby up.

I picked up the jointer since Redmond is local for me and Rich suggested I bring it back 40 miles or so and he would swap it out. I suggested he deliver to me another jointer and pick up the damaged one. He indicated he would have to communicate with SC to see if they will pay for the new delivery. If he comes back with a no I will call SC personally. I will keep you updated.
To me thats poor service on Redmonds part. I think I would call Steel City anyway.

Chuck Lenz
01-29-2008, 1:26 PM
To be honest, I would have rather seen this thread start with I got this new jointer, there was a problem, I contacted the manufacturer/retailer. They fixed it or they didn't. Don't they have great or x level of service.

Best Regards,

Brodie Brickey
I would have to agree, but I would allways call the retailer first, especially if I bought it local.

Doug Jones from Oregon
01-29-2008, 2:27 PM
I have to wonder how many here would appreciate it if their customer, unhappy with a delivered product, contacted a forum of friends to air out their unhappiness before they were contacted and given a chance to correct the problem? This thread in total, like so many of similar nature are just wrong!

Rob Blaustein
01-29-2008, 3:24 PM
I have to wonder how many here would appreciate it if their customer, unhappy with a delivered product, contacted a forum of friends to air out their unhappiness before they were contacted and given a chance to correct the problem? This thread in total, like so many of similar nature are just wrong!

I can certainly understand this view from the perspective of the dealer/manufacturer, but I have to disagree with your final sentence. Some people are simply uncomfortable calling up a dealer (or manufacturer) about a problem without first getting a sense of how much they should worry about it in the first place. And to get that sense many post questions asking other, perhaps more experienced woodworkers, what their experience is with this sort of problem. You might argue that everyone should think for themselves and that they don't need to know the opinion of others in order to call a company, but having some collective wisdom can make you feel at ease when dealing with such situations. I don't think Rickey has done a disservice to Redmond or Steel City, and if you reread his original post, you will see that his tone is quite positive overall--he was excited about his purchase and was simply asking if this dent would be an issue and sought advise for dealing with the companies. Why is that "just wrong?"

Rickey Reynolds
01-29-2008, 4:30 PM
The way I look at it Redmond and SC have the chance to write the end to this thread. I would think they would happy to do that. Had I just called them and worked something out I may not have even posted. Now they can prove to the woodworking population what kind of CS they really have. Besides what would be the purpose of this site if its not to obtain advise from those who have been down similar roads.

Bob Malone
01-29-2008, 4:44 PM
Rickey that looks like a screw imprint. I suggest that a HEAVY item with a screw underneath was placed on top of the table under pressure - i.e. like the pressure a forklift could exert!

Rickey Reynolds
01-29-2008, 4:47 PM
Yes it might well have been. It certainly has ridges like a screw with make smashed with a ton of pressure. What kills me is some slacker just let it go. It's certainly not Redmonds fault but as the retailer of the item they have to take the responsibility. Hopefully they will do the right thing.

Rickey Reynolds
02-01-2008, 5:45 PM
Update on the Damaged Steel City Jointer

I have worked out with Redmond Machinery in Atlanta to replace the damaged jointer. I had hoped they would have jumped and replace it this week however I am going to load it back up tomorrow and go and get the replacement myself. They would not get to it until next week sometime.

Overall I think Redmond stepped up and did the right thing.

I will keep the forum updated hopefully wilth a fully functional in perfect shape kick ass 8" jointer in a few days.:D

Bruce Benjamin
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether or not Redmond did good this time. I am of the opinion that yet again Redmond has let down a member of this forum. They should've offered to deliver and pick up ASAP or offer to make it worth your while if you have to do the 80 mile round trip. Some people will see this differently. To each their own. For me this is just another reason why I'll never give them my business.

Someone thought that they should've been contacted first before posting to this forum. They dropped the ball so hard the last time they were grilled on this forum I don't think I would've given them that courtesy. This time they have done only the bare minimum to satisfy the customer again. This time they may not have caused the damage but they sold it and are responsible for it, in my opinion. And why do people keep shopping there? I guess some people are just more tolerant than other people.

Bruce