PDA

View Full Version : Your Vote: Best Customer Service

Brian Kent
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
There are several companies that consistently offer over-the-top customer service. Here's another chance to give them your kudos.

What company has given you outstanding customer service?

Dave Dye
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I'll go with Grizzly, never had any problems with their service, customer service, equipment loading, etc.

Bill Wyko
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Incra, Jet, Festool etc. I've had great customer service from most tool companies. The three mentioned have all delivered the goods promptly and with informed, knowledgable people. They all got me parts within 3 days as well.:)

Larry Fox
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Lee Valley, JoeWoodworker, Wyn Environmental, Dover Inlay, Reid Supply are all great companies to work with and with whom I have had very good experiences.

However, in my opinion, the best companies are the ones where I don't NEED their customer service.

Glenn Clabo
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Lee Valley, Reid, and Grizzly.

David Weaver
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Lee Valley - for going above and beyond.

I ordered one of their dovetail chisels last year to try, and then got the other 5 (the basic set that's $300) via my parents and wife for Christmas - they both ordered two different times.

I called to ask if I could *buy* the roll that comes with the set free if you get them all at one time - you don't get the whole set at once, you don't get the free roll.

They didn't agree with that, and jumped through all kinds of hoops to get me the tool roll, even though it wasn't an item they stocked individually or had spares of. I insisted that it wasn't a big deal and I was only calling to check if it was something they stocked separately and was easy to get, and that it was no big deal not to get it. They insisted harder that they would figure out how to get me one, and now six fantastic (I can't repeat that enough - fantastic, ...) chisels are in a roll that LV had to go all over the place to find.

Rick Gooden
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Freud, without a doubt. Of course mine is the best in a non woodworking situation!

Ed Brady
01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Eurekazone for the EZ Smart system. They gave me great advice, customized some pieces to suit my design and are always available to answer questions or brainstorm an idea.

Bill White
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Lee Valley-Grizz.
Bill

JayStPeter
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Lee Valley is almost too good!

Grizzly, Incra, Jointech, and Bosch have all done a good job AFAIC.
I had good luck with Delta, that was 5 yrs ago so a lot could've changed.

Brian Kent
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Replying to my own question:

Lee Valley

Craftsman Studio

Grizzly

Japan Woodworker

Lance Norris
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Grizzly
Amazon
Incra

Jim O'Dell
01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Woodpecker, JoinTech, Mini Max, Biesemeyer (before they moved out of AZ), Lee Valley, Peach Tree, Infinity. I've had good dealings with all of them. . JIm.

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 1:04 PM
Refreshingly enough, this will be a tough call. Lee Valley has NEVER given me anything but outstanding service. The same goes for Bosch and (in resolving a very minor issue in a big way) Irwin. MTO Battery, Wixey, Woodpecker and many others really step up to the plate.

On the other hand I have NEVER gotten a response out of ANY inquiry, email or telephone, from Bessy. Delta/DeWalt/Porter Cable has become a complete joke although this was not always the case.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-28-2008, 1:33 PM
I'll second what Larry said. The best customer service is the one you don't need.

For what little we've used Grizzly seems good.

Mike Gabbay
01-28-2008, 1:36 PM
Lie Nielsen is #1 in my book.

Lee Valley is a VERY close #2.

Dick Bringhurst
01-28-2008, 1:41 PM
Lee Valley, Garret Wade. Woodpecker

Jay Kilpatrick
01-28-2008, 1:47 PM
in alphabetical order. Why are they the best, because I get what I expect and don't typically have to deal with what we are calling 'customer service'. I know no product/company is without flaw, but the best customer service in my mind is providing quality products/services to begin with so there is minimal reason to address a problem in the future. When you get it right the first time (most of the time), there is no need for the 'second chance' that accompanies poor performance.

gary Zimmel
01-28-2008, 2:04 PM
# 1. LN , even thought I have have really not had to deal with the service dept.

# 2. LV , the couple of times I have had to there are no questions asked.

John Gleason
01-28-2008, 2:32 PM
This is a no brainer, for sure. It has to be Home Depot.

NOT exactly.

For me it has been the Woodcraft store here in Colorado Springs. They are pleasant, respectful, and will answer any question with lots of advise and help.

And, They are moving and will be only a quarter mile from my work. I see some long lunches in my future.

Greg Peterson
01-28-2008, 2:35 PM
Wyn Environmental and Lee Valley.

Dick Sylvan
01-28-2008, 2:49 PM
Clear-Vue Cyclones

Frank Martin
01-28-2008, 2:58 PM
Lee Valley

Bob Marino (Festool rep)

Chris Padilla
01-28-2008, 3:15 PM
Bob's THE MAN for Festool purchases. He takes care of you above and beyond and floods you with hats, t-shirts, coffee mugs, and even a few freebies here and there.... :D

Veritas/Lee Valley is also outstanding. I barely worry about a product I buy from LV because they simply do not sell cra...err, bad stuff....

Mike Heidrick
01-28-2008, 3:18 PM
Are we talking for service related issues or just outstanding CS because you bought something?

Hands down the best CS I have got for no reason was from two SMC/Woodnet recommended vendors.

One is Brain at Holbren dot com - he got me the tool rolls I needed for my Two Cherries chisels - I had bought the box set. He also beats any price I can find on my whiteside router bits. He is my main guy for the router bits I need/want. One day while driving he pulled off to the side of the road to help me figure out what I needed and to take my order. that was awesome.

The other is Mark at Heavy Duty Tools dot net. He has packaged me so many hand power tool deals that now I go to him whenever I am thinking about new ones. He is GREAT to deal with. His deals are amazing!!

For Service issues.
Charles at Freud is the man. He got me a new shaper cutter box for my UC900 set when the one from amazon was destroyed. Not an easy part to get I bet. He made it happen.

The Steel City boys sent me a 2nd laser for my drill press when the set screw was damaged. I also mentoned one of the set screws had some play and the finish had been rubbed off on on part of the press. They sent two new set screws and a can of color matched paint. That 17" drill press is awesome btw!

Delta folks in Tn. They helped me with my shaper and the cover for my feeder. They are very fast. They really do a good job supporting their products.

The Dewalt Service center in KS (thanks to teh advice of a woodnet buddy in Tx). They had my PC router replaced in 3 days and also sent som PC branded accessory items with the router. I sent them $ for pizza when I sent my router in for repair. Lunch was on me that day is what I told them.

Amazon is the best CS retailer I have used. They price match and retroactively honor the pricing, siometimes many times over when the prices start falling. I have probably had just as many bad CS calls with them as any other but that is only because I have bought 10X as much from them as any other. They have also gotten the majority of my huge tool sales. No tax and usually free shipping is awesome and their shipping to me is very very fast. I purchase a lot more than just WW things from them.

Jude Kingery
01-28-2008, 3:48 PM
Craft Supply out of Utah, without a doubt. Jude

scott spencer
01-28-2008, 3:53 PM
It's hard to fault any that give extraordinary service, and there are several, but it's pretty neat to see folks like Brian Gumpper (Holbren) , Charles McCracken (Freud), or Shiraz Balolia (Grizzly) answer posts here that address service issues before it's even requested by the customer. :)

I've also had good service from Delta, Amazon, Infinity, Hartville, and even Sears.

Don C Peterson
01-28-2008, 4:08 PM
Lie Nielsen
Japan Woodworker
Tools For Working Wood

Larry Fox
01-28-2008, 4:25 PM
Tools For Working Wood

Ooh - forgot about them. Them too!

ROY DICK
01-28-2008, 4:49 PM
Craft Supply, Rockler, woodcraft.

Cliff Polubinsky
01-28-2008, 5:22 PM
Without a doubt, Wixey and Tools for Working Wood. Oh, and the local Woodcraft.

Cliff

Brian Kent
01-28-2008, 6:22 PM
I appreciate great customer service before a sale too. Grizzly has given me a lot of information that I requested before a sale.

Lee Valley has helped me before the sale and after I screw things up… and with a good sense of humor!

Doug Shepard
01-28-2008, 6:37 PM
Outstanding:
Lee Valley, Clear-Vue, Wynn Environmental, Lie-Nielsen, Minimax

Very Good:
Woodcraft, Eagle America, Cabelas (couldn't live without my fleece-lined pants/shirts for winter shop use so they're a woodworking tool:D)

I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody but those come to mind pretty quickly.

Mike Duffy
01-28-2008, 6:45 PM
Lee valley
Tools for Working Wood

Jeffrey Schronce
01-28-2008, 7:10 PM
Grizzly - parts, service and support, even on older stuff long gone from the catalog. Quick shipping and very knowledgeable staff on the other end of the phone. I have had them walk back to the warehouse while I am on hold to test to see if a part will work. Awesome.

Bob Marino and Brian Holbren are both GREAT!

Dan Lautner
01-28-2008, 7:23 PM
Lee Valley, Festool, Bosch a distant 3rd

Lee Koepke
01-28-2008, 7:27 PM
When I was 'restoring' my old Rockwell TS, Delta really helped alot, and I got some misc parts .. no problem.

Also when I ordered my Beisemeyer Fence, there was some missing bolts / screws and they sent them to me no questions asked. Even though I could have spent some time finding them at a hardware store, they sent them anyway.

Gordon Harner
01-28-2008, 8:12 PM
Grizzly,LV and one I haven't seen mentioned Makita I stopped at a service center to buy two replacement 12v nicad batteries and was given 2 Nickel metal halides and a new charger. I should also add that the batteries for my 7.2v drill lasted 20 hard years.

Paul Greathouse
01-28-2008, 8:16 PM
Dino at Eurekazone has great customer service. He has saved me money time and time again with suggestions for better ways to use his equipment. Dealing with Dino, I get the same personal service as if I were dealing with my local lumberyard and those guys are pretty helpful.

The RED and Blue are great too, Hartville tool and Rockler have some great products backed by admirable customer service.

Frank Orzehoski
01-28-2008, 8:17 PM
I have had great customer service from Grizzly.

Greg Funk
01-28-2008, 8:23 PM
Lee Valley.

Matt Meiser
01-28-2008, 8:53 PM
My list, with some reminders from previous posts:
- Lee Valley who is always qucik to ship. One time they mis-shipped a hardware item for me, reshipped it so I would get it in time to use it and had me keep the mistaken item.
- Tools for Working Wood is good about answering questions and quick to ship.
- Most recently Dowelmax who called me back when I had questions and they were on the other line and then shipped to me from Vancouver quicker than I can get a lot of stuff in the US.
- Woodworkers Hardware who again ships lightning quick and must have an enormous warehouse to have whatever I want in stock for immediate shipment.
- Electric Tool in Ann Arbor, MI and Toledo, OH. Great folks to deal with and will bend over backwards to either make sure what I want is available at the store I want (I'm about 1/2 way between them) or even deliver it directy to me. Especially when I used to live 3 doors down from the manager who would deliver even trivial items to me on his way home.
- Amazon is usually great about quick shipping and I've never had a hint of a problem returning something the few times I've needed to. They don't have the personal level of service of some of the others, but they've come about as close as possible to perfecting the cheap and quick delivery model.

John McCall
01-28-2008, 9:10 PM
LV
LN
Marino

Gary Kvasnicka
01-28-2008, 9:13 PM
Hartville Tool and Lee Valley.

Bob Noles
01-28-2008, 9:20 PM
Lee Valley
Dino at Eurekazone

These 2 have gone far beyond the call of duty in helping me in the past.

Brandon Shew
01-28-2008, 9:44 PM
Incra and Le Valley for certain. The guys at my local Woodcraft are good too.

Jim Becker
01-28-2008, 9:54 PM
Lee Valley and Bob Marino, by far the best.

But I've had great service from Mini Max as well as my local woodworking store, Woodworker's Haven in Southampton, PA.

Burt Waddell
01-28-2008, 9:57 PM
Without a doubt - Dino and George at Eurekazone.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
My new dentist......I started going to a new dentist a few weeks ago.

Last Wednesday morning I sat down in his chair......2 1/2 hours later I climbed out of the chair with a final crown in place. He has his own CNC and no more temporary crowns.....While in the chair he removed an growth on the underside of my tongue.....

Friday evening about 7:00p.m. he called to see how the crown was doing and to tell me the pathology report said "fibroma......benign"

He always calls a day or two after he does a procedure just to see how things are going.......Nice touch IMHO!

Matt Swanger
01-28-2008, 10:07 PM
1. Mike at PLS lasers, he explained his tools and sent me a free detector when I was sold a kit that should have had one. I have made a ton of money off their lasers in the short time I have owned them.
1(tied). Dino at Eurekazone, he takes the time to explain his tools as well, even the best ways to use them. His tools have made onsite woodworking possible in a small case.
3. Emma at Bigfoot.

Doug Hobkirk
01-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I think it's quite remarkable just how good the service is for many WW companies, but I must single out EurekaZone (or EZ) even though I admit that this judgment is not completely fair. At EZ you are dealing directly with Dino, the inventor himself or his right-hand aid. And he is, in my opinion, a total zealot - he loves his products, he loves his customers, and he goes far beyond reasonable service, just like I do with my family.

It's like dealing directly with the sawyer vs dealing with a lumber yard.

Tim Turner
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Definitely Eurekazone. They have the world's best guarantee, and offer advice to best meet customers needs.

Scot Ferraro
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Lie-Nielsen has the best service, IMHO -- dropped a #8 and dinged the end and the handles -- they repaired everything for free and even put on new wood handles and knobs. They have shipped stuff to me for free and sent me free replacement parts for screws, etc...

Whiteside Router bits is also awesome to deal with -- when the bearing on a cope cutter was frozen they replaced the entire bit free of charge -- dealt directly with the plant manager and the bit had been used on my kitchen remodel.

Have not really had to deal much on service with any of my other tools/machines so I am lucky in that regard.

Scot

Bob Malone
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
LV, Ed at Clear-Vue, Gary McPhee at SC and finally Mike Fiantaca at Digi-Kit!!

Adam Stone
01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Ditto - Couldn't have said it better myself.

Adam

Brian Willan
01-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Lee Valley
Dino at Eurekazone

These 2 have gone far beyond the call of duty in helping me in the past.

I couldn't agree more with these 2 choices.

Cheers

Brian

Dennis Meek
01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
These all rank #1 with me in customer service: Festool, Sawstop, Lee Valley, Grizzly, Dave Osborne.

Gary Keedwell
01-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Sears Roebuck......:)

Gary

JR Van Cura
01-29-2008, 5:55 AM
Dino Makropoulos and friends at Eurekazone. Oustanding customer service.

Regards,
JR Van Cura

Kevin L. Pauba
01-29-2008, 7:20 AM
Yeah ... Dino at Eurekazone (EZ-Smart). Great products and great advice offered almost daily in the forum.

rob forham
01-29-2008, 7:27 AM
Eurekazone and Lee Valley are Tops on my list.

Ricky Breaux
01-29-2008, 7:44 AM
Eurekazone with the EZ Smart system.They have great service fast shipping will answer problems and if you mess up they walk you threw it great service great company.

Bill Krauss
01-29-2008, 7:45 AM
I've had the EZ rails and for quite a while now and have pretty well added all the rest of the line to my collection.

Anytime I was confused (a constantly evolving product line can do this) I could get an answer via their website a phone call or on these forums. If I did not get my order right, they just took care of it, adjusted the price down to new sale price after I already made an order, threw in extra small items to save hassle and shipping without my even asking.

I haven't touched my table saw in 2 years even after buying every possible upgrade to it.
I'm really happy with them and wish them well.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-29-2008, 8:41 AM
White Chapel hardware.
I was having trouble finding just the right hinge and bought a pair one I ended up shelving ('cause it wasn't "just right") before having a chat with the Customer service person. Not only did she offer to take it back but offered to send me a variety of hinges so I could pick what I liked and send back the rest.

Jack Briggs
01-29-2008, 8:44 AM
Grizzly. :cool:

David Weaver
01-29-2008, 9:54 AM
I generally get great CS from LN, but I've had trouble with one item lately - partially my fault, I guess, for not just sending a product back.

I got a bailey #8, and the hole for the vertical adjuster in the LN improved chipbreaker was in the wrong place - 0.25" off from where it needed to be, making it impossible to use as a chipbreaker (chipbreaker came up 0.25" short of the iron). I called them to ask if they only had one size, and they said they do, but they would custom machine one to match the original if I sent the one I got from them back and included the original chipbreaker from the bailey plane (for them to use as a template to match) and $10 for shipping. Whoever I talked to (I don't need to name names) told me 7-10 days, so I shipped off their chipbreaker and my (i.e., I can't use my jointer plane) chipbreaker end of october, and haven't seen it yet. I did call about a month ago they said they'd make it high priority, but whoever told me 7-10 days was wrong for doing that.

I guess I'll call again today to see if I can get it back. I haven't been able to use my newly fettled type 9 bailey for 3 months.

That has been my only hiccup with LN - I have had good service otherwise.

Peter Elliott
01-29-2008, 10:01 AM
My vote!

Jeff Jewitt of Homesteadfinishing.com

Like some others have mentioned. Customer service is more than just replacing a part or somthing that broke on a machine you bought.

It's the advice and guidance that one gives before you spend a dime.

That's Jeff and his group!

-Peter

Bruce Benjamin
01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
In this case piling on is a good thing...EZ Smart, Eurekazone, whatever you want to call it. Dino and his assistant, George, are unbeatable. How can you beat a policy where you can return a tool for the upgraded product...For Free!? Dino will loan you a tool to try out or if you just need it for one project. The return policy is pain-free. They will actually listen to customer input and use it to improve their products. They will spend as much time as necessary to give advice or instructions. Combine this with the best product of it's kind in the world, (in some cases it's the only one) and it gets even better. The reasons go on and on and there will probably be more listed in addition to what has already been listed by me and others on this forum. Thank you Dino and Eurekazone!

Bruce

Louis Rucci
01-29-2008, 1:48 PM
I vote for Eurekazone and Bosch technical service. Based on recent experience.

Louis

Bill Wyko
01-29-2008, 3:47 PM
I forgot to say Woodworkers Source here in Tucson. Not only do they take great care, give me great prices and personal service. They also call me and let me know when they have extraordinary wood come in or a good deal on a tool I might need. They even know my voice when I call (my number is blocked)

Jesse Cloud
01-29-2008, 4:09 PM
I'll add to the chorus for Lee Valley and Festool - both Bob Marino and the Festool corporate service guys. I buy fearlessly from those guys because I know that if anything goes wrong or I just change my mind, they will treat me right.

As to the best CS being the one you never need, I would have to put LN on the list.

Wouldn't touch Black & Decker/ Delta / DeWalt with a 10 foot pole these days.

I keep trying to give Sears and Home Disappointment another chance, but they always find a new way to rub salt in the old wounds.

Harbor Freight is definitely at the bottom, but that falls into the "Just what did you expect? - DUH?" category.

Greg Muller
01-29-2008, 4:15 PM
Since you said 'company' instead of manufacturer, I'll put kudo's out there for my local Woodcraft in Overland Park, KS. I have to drive about 20+ miles to get there, but they are great folks!!!!

For manufacturer's, my nominee would have to be JET! They really spoil my "woodworker jones".

Greg

Malcolm Wheeler
01-29-2008, 4:31 PM
Lee Valley Lee Valley Lee Valley Lee Valley Lee Valley Lee Valley (did I say Lee Valley?) Once, I bought the wrong part, used it, and then they replaced it no questions asked without a receipt even though it was used - amazing!

Also - Ed at Clearvue - once got on the phone to me at his dinner time 9I am west coast) and he happily jumped on thephone and chatted...

Russell Tribby
01-29-2008, 6:48 PM
Akeda and Wixey. The idea that the president of the company (Kevan Lear @ Akeda and Barry Wixey and Wixey)would get on the phone to help one lowly customer still blows my mind. Great job guys, you have certainly made a customer for life out of me.

Allan Epstein
01-29-2008, 7:17 PM
There are several companies that consistently offer over-the-top customer service. Here's another chance to give them your kudos.

What company has given you outstanding customer service?

Eurekazone. Dino gives free upgrades on tools that have been improved such as the SRK. His form is why I joined SMC.

AL

Bill Wyko
01-29-2008, 7:26 PM
I'd like to mention some poor customer service. Shopsmith! I gave a MarkIV to My BILs dad and all it needed was a power switch. Been waiting around 2 or 3 months now.

Dave Lehnert
01-29-2008, 7:37 PM
I'd like to mention some poor customer service. Shopsmith! I gave a MarkIV to My BILs dad and all it needed was a power switch. Been waiting around 2 or 3 months now.

I would give Shopsmith a call. I just ordered a box full for parts for a tune up and had them in 2 or 3 days. Is it the older style switch without a safety lock? If so nothing special about it. Can get one at Lowe’s or HD.

Trent Flemming
01-29-2008, 9:57 PM
Lee Valley
Dino and George at Eurekazone
Freud
Amazon

No particular order. All have been great to me!

Trent

Al Lupone
01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Same as the rest of the chorus. Dino & George at Eurekazone & Lee valley.
Al

Rick Levine
01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm voting for Delta. If any of you have seen my post on my problem with my Unisaw blade locking up when I raise it to the deepest cut you'll know why.

Brian Kent
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks everybody for your responses.

Some I expected, and a bunch were completely new to me. I'll be checking them out!

Bruce Benjamin
01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Akeda and Wixey. The idea that the president of the company (Kevan Lear @ Akeda and Barry Wixey and Wixey)would get on the phone to help one lowly customer still blows my mind. Great job guys, you have certainly made a customer for life out of me.

I'm not trying to slam Wixey's customer service but since when did they have a phone number available to the public? The last time I looked, (several months ago at least) they were only available via email. If they recently added a phone number that's a great improvement. Otherwise...They need one.

On the digital angle gauge note, I want to add Beall, (Makers of the Beall Tilt Box) to the list. J.R. Beall went way out of his way to make sure I was a happy customer and even called me one time to make sure I was satisfied. About the same time I was communicating with Barry Wixey via email. While I would've really preferred to talk to him on the phone if they had one, to his credit he was very quick to respond to 2 or 3 emails and that isn't always the case with some companies.

Bruce

fred woltersdorf
01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
i'd like to add the Collins tool co. i bought the Collins coping foot for my jigsaw a couple of years ago and lost the special washer thats is used to shim the foot to the saw. i gave them a call and was asked which washer did i need?
evidently there are 2 different ones used depending on the brand. i told her i didn't know, no problem i'll send both, use the one you need. two days latter they were in my mailbox.
i've also had good luck with Garrett Wade after a small hicup.

J D Thomas
01-31-2008, 8:28 AM
Lee Valley, Lee Valley, Lee Valley

Oh, did I mention, Lee Valley?!?!?!?

Bill Wyko
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I would give Shopsmith a call. I just ordered a box full for parts for a tune up and had them in 2 or 3 days. Is it the older style switch without a safety lock? If so nothing special about it. Can get one at Lowe’s or HD.
Unfortunately it's the safey switch. I feel bad because it makes me look like I pawned it off because I couldn't get the switch. (Not the case) It's a MarkIV from 1998 fully loaded. It was given to me but I had no use for it so I gave it to my BILs father. BTW he took a class on guitar building and made the most beautiful looking and sounding guitar. He needed something compact so it will serve him well.