PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Jointer Question

Tom Kelley
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
The Grizzly GO452 6" Jointer comes in two flavors: regular cutting knives or a spiral cutterhead. The spiral cutterhead adds $210 to the price. Never having owned a jointer my question is this. Is the spiral cutterhead really worth the extra cost? I also have to buy a planer and could use the $210 towards that. Any opinion out there? Oh by the way, as Magnum would say, "I know what you're thinking, get the 8" jointer." But I don't have 220 in the garage, not much room, and doubt that I'll be using boards big enough to justify the big guy.
Tom

Mark Rios
01-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I had the 1182Z with straight knives. I sold it when I had moved and didn't have a shop for a while. Then when I had the room for another jointer, I got the G0593 which has the spiral cutterhead. NIGHT AND DAY!!! It was quieter but that wasn't the big reason for me. I ABSOLUTELY HATE setting jointer knives and now I don't have to ever again. Also, the finish is smooth, smooth, smooth. Some say that the spiral cutterheads leave small scallops but I've yet to see any when I inspect my boards.

A great, silky smooth finish on the board, quieter operation and NO KNIFE CHANGES/ADJUSTMENT. That is definitely worth the extra cost to me.

JMO

Dave Watkins
01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Tom,

I've had a 6" Griz with the traditional knives for about 6 years. I don't think they are doing you any great favor with a $200 upgrade, off the top of my head I think that's not too far below what a retro-fit would cost. So I would probably go with the standard and spend the money elsewhere. Upgrade later on maybe, other folks have made the process sound not too painful.

Unless you will be working with a lot of figured or brittle wood, then you probably will want the spiral.

Good luck,

Dave

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
You've already stated as much but of course those of use who got 6" jointers will say; save your money, you'll get the 8" later anyway. I made a couple large purchases based on the fact that I had no 220. Now of course, I do, and wish I had just 'done it' to begin with. . . much cheaper.

I was sold on the knives due to many folks reporting ripples "that sand out easily". I use a jointer to make a FLAT surface, not one that I need to touch up. More recently the rippling discussions seem to have died down and the spiral heads are getting better reviews. For now I am changing my vote to spiral if for no other reason; knife setting woes but, you do pay for the convenience.

Eddie Darby
01-28-2008, 6:21 PM
If you are looking to get a planer as well as a jointer, and would like a spiral head, then why don't you have your cake a Edith too?

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/products/12-Jointer-Planer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0634

Is a spiral head worth it? Lots of people are paying 3 times more than $210 for their spiral heads and are quite happy with them. On top of that the Grizzly spiral heads seem to be getting few to no complaints.

Saves on shop space, and only one cutter head to maintain. 12" of jointer as well a planer. Backed by Grizzly customer service. Lot to think about.