PDA

View Full Version : PC 7539 router lift from newbie

Douglas Rost
01-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,
I am brand new to the site and this is my first post so let me just say that I am excited to be a part of such a supportive and enthusiastic bunch of dust makers!

On to the question...

I find it very limiting the number of router lifts available for the PC 7539. I have had this many years and love its power and speed range, yet setting the height is a chore when its out of my table. Once in the table, and the fence is set just where I need it, and then I have to make that slight tweak to the height.... "insert screaming here"!

So what is out there? Yes, there is a budget...especially if I can't sneak the expense past my wife!!!

I will be at the show in Milwaukee at the end of February and hope to be able to wrap this up. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Douglas Rost
Woodstock, IL

Jim O'Dell
01-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I believe the Woodpecker Unilift is made for the 7539. It's not cheap by any means, but is a very good unit. (I have the PRL they make) You might see if their Quick Lift is made for it, or one of the plates with some sort of above table adjusting. Jim.

Bruce Page
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
You could install the Router Raiser. I have one in my 7529 and it works great. They make one for the 7539 also. At about 100 bucks it’s a lot cheaper than a lift and performs the same function.

http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp?pn=415-0600&eid=GOOGLE&SID=GL0182&gclid=CMuvsOOxmZECFSBeagodzQEXOA&bhcd2=1201539032

Douglas Rost
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info.. If I am correct, don't you need to hold the plunge lever open while using the Router Raizer? If so, because mine is built into a table with a dust door, my arms are just not long enough to do both unless I through a clamp on the lever to keep it open during adjustments.

Larry Fox
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Douglas, I have the Woodpeck Plunge-lift installed in my table and paired with a 7539 and it works great. It is a bit of a bugger to have to reach under the table to "flip" the little handle that locks the plunging machanism to do an adjustment but they can be done very accurately.

http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

If I had it to do again, I would reconsider using a plunger in the table. I originally went with this setup because I only had one plunger and thought it would make it more versitile (which it does). I have since bought another plunger and thus the 7539 stays in the table almost 100% of the time. I have considered selling the PlungeLift and buying a lift which takes just the motor.

Tim Sgrazzutti
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Not sure if this will help or not, but I have a 7529 router that lives in a table. I removed the springs to do this, and that made height adjustments much easier. I even tapped a hole in the bottom end of the adjustment shaft, loctited an allen head screw in it, and drilled a hole in the table mounting plate so that I have above the table height adjustment with a t-hande allen wrench. Also, I never use the height lock in the table. The router is such a slave to gravity, and the cutting forces in the table can't be upwards.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Douglas Rost
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey Tim that sounds great. Have you got a picture of the modification? Of course being a nervous guy by nature I must admit I will be locking it down!:o

Bruce Page
01-28-2008, 2:49 PM
Probably not Kosher but I never locked down the 7529 – even while doing raised panels in maple. I never had any problems with the Router Razir moving.
I also drilled a hole in my router plate to allow for above table adjusting, which was the reason for getting the RR in the first place.

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 3:18 PM
Woodpecker "Plunge Lift" at the bottom of the page: http://www.woodpeck.com/routerliftcompare.html

Tom Cowie
01-28-2008, 4:09 PM
Hi

I bought a 8529 instead of putting one of the 7529s' in a router lift. The 8529 can be raised and lowered from above without removing it from the table or router plate. You still have to lock and unlock the plunge but it doesn't seem to be a big deal and it gave me another router for the price of a router lift.

Tom