PDA

View Full Version : Countertop Removal

Tony De Masi
01-28-2008, 8:43 AM
Morning all,

Here is the dilemma I am facing. Five years ago the LOML wanted new countertops to replace the original formica ones. Since we do not live in a high end housing area she wanted to go with a corian instead of either silestone or granite. So I asked the question " Do you want to replace the cabinets too?" She said no since they looked to be in pretty good shape. Well now she has changed her mind and wants to replace them. So here is the question. Can the countertop, which has two seams, and is an "L" shape be removed without damage to the product? If so, what would be the best method of attack?

TIA for any responses.

Tony

Lee Koepke
01-28-2008, 8:54 AM
You 'should' be able to.

It would depend on how it was seamed together. Was the top installed by you, or another installer? If the latter, I would pose the question to them.

Dan Mages
01-28-2008, 9:00 AM
If memory serves me correctly, Corian is chemically "welded" together at the seams. This will make it very difficult to take out. Have you considered refacing the cabinets? Its a lot less cost, hassle, and mess of replacing the whole kitchen.

Dan

Joe Pelonio
01-28-2008, 9:05 AM
I do sign and truck lettering work for a large kitchen remodeler, and they do a lot of refacing, sometimes just new doors. Also, it's become quite common to paint old stained cabinets for a completely new look.

Greg Heppeard
01-28-2008, 9:34 AM
Your Corian top was probably attached to the cabinets with dabs of silicone. You can try to pop it loose and block it up. Remove and replace each cabinet, one at a time, and lower the top onto the new cabinets. You may have to slide the counter top away from the wall slightly to do this....just an idea to try.

Tony De Masi
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
thanks for the help all. I have tried to push the refacing/painting issue but she isn't buying it.

Tony

Jim O'Dell
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
If you can pop it loose with out damage, you might be able to build a 1 X 4 frame around it to stabilize it and keep it safe while you store it during the cabinet replacement. I'm guessing you had this fabricated and installed, asK the company what they woould charge to remove and replace at a later date. Might be a lot cheaper than new fabrication if it broke and was not repairable. Jim.

David G Baker
01-28-2008, 1:10 PM
Jim's suggestion is probably your best choice. If I remember correctly, Corian dealers require that their products be installed by pros or the warranty will not be honored. Corian is not cheap enough to gamble on doing the removal yourself. IMHO
Are you sure that the LOYL will be happy with putting the old Corian back on her new cabinets?

Tom Godley
01-28-2008, 7:58 PM
I take from your question that the counter is too large to move?

The seams are made with a colored epoxy - and should be very strong. I had to have a large bathroom section removed that had been seamed.

If the section is just too large to do anything with - I do not see any other way but to have a professional cut it.