PDA

View Full Version : Another in a long list of bandsaw questions

Bob Hallowell
01-28-2008, 7:46 AM
I have been watching ebay and the craigslist for a month now and it's looking like I will have to buy new, here are my choices and price is a concern. I want the saw for general woodworking but also for cutting bis bowl blanks so 10" or so resaw is a must.

the 14" rikon at woodcraft for $795 after tax and a 2 hour drive.
the 17" grizzly fro $795 after tax and a 2 hours drive to muncy( never been there yet.

shop fox w1706 14" closed stand cast iron wheels with riser shipped to my town f0r $560- love the price

or the grizz g0555 fro around $500 with riser and a 2 hour drive.

I am leaning toward the shop fox for the sake of money but don't want to mess up regreat my decision

thanks,
Bob

Bob Hallowell
01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I realize these question have been asked alot and I am sorry, but nothing?

Bob

Art Mann
01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Hello Bob,

I haven't already responded because I don't know enough about the subject. I suggest you bump this thread to the top of the cue this evening when there are more knowledgeable people on line. I have a Craftsman model 22401 bandsaw, which is very similar to the less expensive Rikon model. I have generally been pleased, especially since I got it at a rock bottom price. However, I would be inclined to buy the 17' Grizzly if I were buying today - for whatever that is worth.

John Bailey
01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
No need to apologize Bob. The bandsaw is my favourite tool, so I like all the threads about it.

My opinion is the 14" is a great general work tool, but it lacks the construction for serious resawing of wide boards. It can be done, and done well, but the saw has limitations. If you are going to do much resawing of wide boards, meaning over 6", I would go for the larger saw. If the Rikon you mention is the resaw model, that looks pretty beefy and probably does an outstanding job. I've not seen one in use.

I rarely resaw, but I would dearly love more throat width than my 14" provides. The larger saws would give you that.

John

jim tracy
01-28-2008, 1:08 PM
Thanks for posting the question Bob, I would like to hear some answers on this question because I am in the market for a new bandsaw myself.

Roger Newby
01-28-2008, 1:14 PM
Just got the G0555 with riser about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. Great for resawing as well as general sawing. Get a good blade, Olson or Timberwolf. The Grizzly blades aren't to great.

glenn bradley
01-28-2008, 1:19 PM
I was really saving up for the Rikon tall 14" but found the discontinued G0513X too good to resist. It is now the G0513X2 but it will push your budget a bit. The G0513 is a nice saw as well sacrificing only, as far as I know, the cast iron wheels and fence for aluminum. Now having the 17" I can see I would have been truly sorry if I had gotten the smaller saw. YMMV.

Wilbur Pan
01-28-2008, 1:26 PM
I would go with the biggest bandsaw you can afford. If $795 is in your price range, I'd pick the 17" Grizzly from your list.

The main reason having a bigger bandsaw is more desirable is that as the blade goes around a wheel, there will be less stress on the blade if it goes around a larger diameter. A 14" bandsaw may give you the same resaw height as a 17", but the blade will be under more stress. The 17" bandsaw will give you more throat capacity, allowing you to cut wider boards as well.

Or, to put it another way, many people regret bandsaw decisions for one reason or another. No one has ever said, "I got this new bandsaw, but it's too dang big."

James Suzda
01-28-2008, 1:45 PM
Well, of all the choices you have listed, I'd go for the 17 inch Grizzly. I believe that in the case of a bandsaw "size does matter". (BTW, I've got an 18 inch Rikon.)
Another thing that you might want to check out is the type of guides each saw offers. Again, my Rikon has roller guides and I personally feel these are better than blocks.
No matter what saw you buy, don't expect too much performance in the blade that comes with the saw. I don't know why, but it seems that all companies send a crappy blade with the saw. I suppose they figure they have made the sale already and if the customer doesnt like the blade he/she will buy a new one.

Lance Norris
01-28-2008, 2:07 PM
I would recommend either the 17" Griz or the Rikon 14" Deluxe only because they are steel frame saws. The steel frame saws are stronger than the cast saws. You can get more tension and over the life of the saw, its just a more ridgid frame. That being said, the cast saws are fine(I have one, a Ridgid 14")and they will do all you probably need, but if you have the room, I would go with the 17" Griz. I have a Griz g0457(14"steel frame)and I think its a great saw. It was more money that the 17" saw, but I needed to get it into my basement and weight and the height was a consideration. Something else to consider is horsepower. If you are resawing and cutting green bowl blanks, get the most hp you can afford. It looks like in your budget, thats 2hp, which is what my Griz has and it has done all I asked of it, including resawing to capacity(10").

Benjamin Dahl
01-28-2008, 3:34 PM
Bob, I have the 14" Rikon deluxe and like it. If you wait until the woodcraft has a sale, you'd probably be able to get it for less than 795. that said, the grizzly showroom could be fun and they might have some deals. 2 hours each direction or round trip?
Ben

Bob Hallowell
01-28-2008, 4:07 PM
Bob, I have the 14" Rikon deluxe and like it. If you wait until the woodcraft has a sale, you'd probably be able to get it for less than 795. that said, the grizzly showroom could be fun and they might have some deals. 2 hours each direction or round trip?
Ben

I called my local woodcraft and they said they were having problem's keeping the rikon stocked, they said it was the hot item and probably won't be putting them on sale. And ya I think going to grizzly would be alot of fun.

Bob