PDA

View Full Version : Computer & Writing table

Brian Kent
01-28-2008, 1:00 AM
I just finished a laptop computer stand and writing table.

I would really appreciate your critique and ideas

The legs slide under any of our living room furniture. The top holds my laptop computer just over my lap or the arms of our chairs. I want to have the laptop in more than just one position all the time so I can avoid the repetitive stress pain. The stand also has a shelf under the table to hold a wireless keyboard.

The folks over in finishing forum helped me with the finish on beech and walnut: Danish oil, de-waxed shellac, wipe-on poly, rubbing compound and wax. Their suggestions are in a thread called "help in finishing beech and walnut".

Besides making a functional stand and experimenting with finish, I was also trying smooth joints. Some decade I might try some Maloof-inspired work, but I have to start somewhere. After joining the parts together I started to work with a Nicholson #49 rasp, some assorted files, a Bosch ROS, and lots of hand sanding.

I like the smooth grain of the base and the wilder pattern on the walnut top. All I was really trying to do was make use of a light wood and a dark wood out of lumber I already had.

My gaps and mistakes, along with the wood's imperfections, show up easily, but I am fine with all that. My purpose was learning new techniques and not trying to get it perfect the first time.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions for future improvement. I like working on smooth joints!:D

Brian Kent
01-28-2008, 6:07 PM
Help! need . . . critique.

Drowning…

…in the ocean

…of mediocrity!

Gulp.

Gasp.

Choke.

Glub glub.

ps. glub

Chuck Wintle
01-28-2008, 6:32 PM
My concern is will it tip over because of the lack of rear legs? But I like the concept of having a place to put the laptop besides on the lap. another point is ventilation. Will the laptop get enough air in and around for proper cooling? What about a place to put the Ac adaptor? Maybe a small shelf just underneath?

Jeff Wittrock
01-28-2008, 7:15 PM
I think its a cool idea. I hate trying to work with a laptop on my lap. I would be a little afraid of the laptop taking a tumble backwards too, but then again I've got my boy running around the house and even four legged stuff gets knocked over. I imagine the weight of the laptop up front helps keep it from going backwards though.

I agree that working with faired joints like this is a lot of fun. It's the kind of thing where you can completely assemble the joints, and then just keep whittling and rasping away until you like the shape.

You'll have to let us know how well you like using it.

-Jeff