PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for marketing in Flea Market Environment

Brent Vander Weil
01-27-2008, 11:39 PM
My wife recently rented a small space (6'x6') in a local flea market near our home to sell a bunch of kids toys, teacher stuff, etc. There is some "dead space" up on the walls and on the ends of a few of the shelving units... anyone have experience in selling in this type of environment (where alot of the items for sale are used / garage sale type items) and found any reliable sellers with decent margins? Any tips mfor cretions that sell are greatly appreciated.

Doug Bergstrom
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
We did a local craft show this past year for charity and to test out some new product lines we were introducing. The Toy chest line from lazerbuzz did really well and had a lot of interest. Profit margins are great and people were excited about the product. We boxed them as wooden puzzles and had a couple of options. I am going to add more of them for this coming year.

Stephen Beckham
01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Brent,

When I first started, I varied between Craft Fairs and Flea Markets to sell my pens. The only warning I'll give is that you have to distinguish between the two. One has mainly the bargain hunter who wants two for the price of one and the other has custom work hunters with one of a kind items.

Once I started lasering - I went to one flea market - I don't plan on doing that again even if I have the time. They didn't appreciate the cost of the items due to the cost of the laser - they still wanted the bargain - no matter the cost of my time and effort....

Joe Pelonio
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Brent,

When I first started, I varied between Craft Fairs and Flea Markets to sell my pens. The only warning I'll give is that you have to distinguish between the two. One has mainly the bargain hunter who wants two for the price of one and the other has custom work hunters with one of a kind items.

Once I started lasering - I went to one flea market - I don't plan on doing that again even if I have the time. They didn't appreciate the cost of the items due to the cost of the laser - they still wanted the bargain - no matter the cost of my time and effort....
I agree, a flea market is like a large garage sale, the people go there for good deals. If you are going anyway then it doesn't hurt to bring some of your work and give it a try, but I'd limit it to the least expensive items and don't expect too much.

Larry Bratton
01-28-2008, 7:51 PM
Flea markets are a good place to get fleas and other people's junk. I wouldn't waste my time, as most folks that go to them have a bargain hunting mentality. Good luck!

Tom Majewski
01-28-2008, 8:29 PM
I did the flea market and craft fair thing last year. I'm in an outskirt rural area 40 miles from Philadelphia. Everyone picks up my stuff, remarks on how nice it is, and then turns it over and sees the $15 to $100 price tag, puts it down and moves on. Other vendors complain about the same. Everyone wants hand made items at walmart prices. I've had people tell me I have to market to a more "well-heeled" crowd, possibly in the downtown area, and I'd do a lot better.
At the craft fairs, usually held at local fire companies or churches, I rarely see anyone walking out with a purchase. I guess most people are like me, only going to see other people's ideas that I could make.

On the opposite side of fairs...

I saw one guy at the county fair with a line of cash waving customers. He had a booth with a mini laser and was putting photos on dog tags, ipods, and cell phones while-u-wait.

Brent Vander Weil
01-28-2008, 9:50 PM
I made a few small cedar plank signs with various quotes and put them out... I was having the same feeling about the people looking at the custom items and wanting to pay $.05 for them... I am a l;ittle afraid to go too small on items due to the mysterious disappearing act that those products sometimes have.... I will have to give it more thought... I had been thinking about maybe featuring the LasaerBuzz wall treibutes and toy line too.. maybe there is something to that line of thought... thanks all for the tidbits...