PDA

View Full Version : Which 12" Miter Saw

Paul Dell'Anno
03-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Got the OK from the LOML to purchase a new compound miter saw. Since I love bells and whistles, I was leaning towards the new Porter Cable 3802L, the one with the twin laser. My other choice is the Dewalt DW702, dual bevel saw. Is the laser guide a better option than the dual bevel? Any help is appreciated.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Paul, I have a delta, don't buy one.

Howard Barlow
03-05-2003, 10:51 PM
DeWalt 708. You won't be sorry.

Todd Burch
03-05-2003, 11:04 PM
on the DeWalt 12"

And, don't forget the good blade. WW1 from Forrest is good, so are the upper end Systematic blades (most of what I have).

With the DeWalt, the "table" is 4" high, which makes it easy to build temporary side tables (2X4 on edge & ½" ply = 4"). The clamp-ability with spring clamps on the fence system is good. It's the one tool that my wife is not afraid to use! And, I just gave my 12 year old his first lesson on it this last Saturday.

On another interesting note, a couple years ago, at the Woodworker's Club of Houston annual bar-b-que, we held a contest for all the spouses of club members.

We set up a 12" DeWalt, provided safety glasses and hearing protection (which you WILL need with the DeWalt, or any other CMS), gave them all a couple-foot section of 1X2. Without allowing the use of a ruler, we had each contestant cut off a piece as close to 6" long as they could. The results were pretty funny, and the discussion around "6 inches" was even funnier. The winner was less than 1/32nd of an inch off.

Todd.

John Husby
03-06-2003, 4:55 AM
Paul, I have the DeWalt 705 and its a pretty good saw at a reasonable price. Have never seen the new Porter Cable so can't comment on them. Just wanted to saw I've been involved with three different contractors recently and they all use the Mikita so it might be worth taking a peek at them.

Rob Russell
03-06-2003, 7:22 AM
Paul,

I have the DW708 and have been happy with it. I've also heard nothing but good things about the Hitachi. For $600 either 'd better be good.

My major comments are about the laser and a straight chop vs SCMS. If you want a laser, you can add an aftermarket one for $150 to just about any saw. It's called the BladePoint and you can check it out here <a target="_blank" href="http://www.bladepoint.com">BladePoint's website</a>. Shop around if you want to buy one - I've seen prices $20 lower than the regular $150. I don't have one - yet. I am planning to add one to my saw.

If you can swing the bux and have the space, go for a SCMS. The first time you need to cut a 45&#176 miter on a board that's wider than 8", you'll grin from ear to ear when you do it on the SCMS. It makes cuts like that pretty straightforward. If you're only going to cut smaller stock, then straight compound miter may fit your needs. It just seems to me that the SCMS/Chop saw is the sort of thing to buy once/buy right rather than getting something that will do for now and wanting to upgrade later.

Rob

Dave Avery
03-06-2003, 8:47 AM
I have the Dewalt 705 and like it pretty well with the Forrest blade. I also have the Dewalt miter saw stand, which is OK for carpentry, no OK for furniture making. Also, I agree with the comment on the SCMS - go there first if the budget allows. Dave.

Paul Dwight
03-06-2003, 10:27 AM
I had the DeWalt 12" CMS and was pleased with it. Nice saw, did everything it was supposed to. It was stollen out of my garage/workshop. I now refer to DeWalt's trademark yellow color as "Steal Me Yellow."

Not wanting to repeat that experience, I replaced the DeWalt with the Bosch 12" CMS. I've never regretted the decision. I wouldn't say the Bosch is any better than the DeWalt, but I think it is the equal of the DeWalt.

If you're considering adding an aftermarket laser gizmo, though, I should mention that the ads I've seen say the gizmo won't fit the 12" Bosch.

The one thing I wish some CMS manufacturer would address is effective dust collection. I like my Bosch, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a good 12" CMS with effective dust collection.

Hope this helps! -- Paul

Douglas Robinson
03-06-2003, 10:32 AM
It is one of my oldest tools and has never given me a lick of trouble. Great construction, acurate and fun to use. If you look around you can find it for around $550. Costco sells it as does HD. Let us know what you buy.

Jim Izat
03-06-2003, 10:33 AM
I've had the 12" double bevel Dewalt CMS for about six months and really like it alot. Even the blade the comes with it isn't all that bad. First thing I learned though is you really hafta build support for the stock on at least the left hand side of the saw as Todd has described.

I'm gonna get to it any day now.....

Jim Izat

Lynn Kasdorf
03-06-2003, 10:37 AM
I was just there yesterday and one of the wood mags reviewed the current crop of compound sliders. You may want to check it out, if you are in the market.

Boy, I'd love to have one, but just can't justify it. I have a simple Makita non-compound chop saw, and a huge Walker-Turner RAS. However, I am loathe to move any of the RAS settings off of 90 deg once I have it calibrated...

If I did a lot of angle work I'd probably get a CSMS.

Derek Arita
03-06-2003, 11:06 AM
because of the twin laser. Once you go thru the stops and set everything dead-on, the lasers are really accurate. Each beam is about the size of a pencil line, so it's easy to line up with your marks...I have mine set up to split my pencil mark in half. Detents for angles are very positive. Yes you don't have dual bevel, but I don't do a lot of crown molding, so I can live without it. Switch blades to a good Freud or WW and you're set. I like it and am glad I got it. :D

Don Voegel
03-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Paul, I bought the DeWalt 708 (I think!). Anyway, it is the one that is sliding compound miter saw. Have had it for about 3 hrs and am very happy with it. It doesn't have laser, but the new ones might. That might be helpful. Also, get the best blade you can afford. Pays off in the long run. Don

Ken Garlock
03-06-2003, 2:55 PM
I suggest that you look at the SCMS Mikita LS1212.

The February issue of Workbench mag. has an evaluation of 7 brands of SCMS, and the Mikita was the "editor's choice." The DeWalt DW708 was judged the best value. You might find the evaluation at the mag. website www.WorkbenchMagazine.com (http://)

I have the Mikita LS1013 SCMS. It cuts so smoothly that you want to sand the edge just so the glue will stick ;)

John Longwitz
03-06-2003, 4:16 PM
...over 2 years now. I took a long time deciding to buy it as I had a RAS. When I first started looking it was Skil (Bosch bought them out and changed only the logo) and I narrowed my choice down to Skil or Dewalt. After much side by side comparing I decided the Skil was the one I would get when the time came. What finally decided my purchase was that Home Depot carried them and, a short time after the name changed to Bosch, they had a clearance on them. I grabbed one of the 2 remaining and have been well satisfied with the purchase. I tried various lower priced blades and none of them was as good as the Bosch one that came with it. The Porter Cable Riptide, while looking good, made my chainsaw look like a precision instrument. Just picked up a Dewalt Series 60 80 tooth and what a difference. Bought it at the Atlanta Woodworking Show for $74.99 from Woodcraft. Thought I got a deal until I found out that Toolking has the Series 60 96 tooth for 59.95. One of the few times I didn't research prices and bought on impulse.

Chris McKimson
03-06-2003, 5:42 PM
Hi Paul,

I'll echo the other DeWalt owners and say that I've been very pleased with my DW708. You don't mention wanting a sliding miter saw, so I'm guessing the dual bevel DeWalt your looking at is the DW706. I'm sure it would also be very nice.

Haven't seen the Porter Cable, but did look at the Makita saw when I bought my DeWalt. I had a heck of a time trying to decide between the 2 (LS1013 vs. DW708, both within a couple of bucks of each other). I'm sure I would have been happy with either. I've heard Harbor Freight has a "recon" version of the LS1013 for right around 369 or so. Might be a good deal if "reconditioned" doesn't bug you.

Best of luck.

Chris

Rik Rickerson
03-06-2003, 5:57 PM
Paul,

I replaced my DeWalt 702 with the Delta twin laser w/ a Forrest blade and love it!!! I seriously believe that the PC and Delta are identical saws except for color. The reason I went with the Delta is it was less money and had twice the warranty (definitely something to think about with the lasers.) The laser beam is a bit broad, but I have it tuned so all I have to do is bring the marked piece just up to the beam, cut, and presto, perfect cut!

Bart Goldberg
03-06-2003, 8:52 PM
Cast my vote for the Dewalt. I've had the DW 705 for a few years and like it alot. I typically think Dewalt tools are a bit overpriced (its the yellow paint- must cost more to buy). But in this case, I think Dewalt's got a winner.

Bryan Danner
03-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey Dennis,

regarding your opinions on the Delta......Care to elaborate? I'm just curious.

-Bryan