PDA

View Full Version : Email harvesting

Keith Melick
02-13-2003, 9:18 AM
Keith

I posted this question before just about the time the main forum was lost and did not see a reply so I will reiterate. ( To bad, so sad, lost all my post count to become a senior member :<).)

There is an option on registering to show or not show our email address, I opted out. Does this web software prevent or at least discourage email harvesting, as was the case on Badger Pond. I would want to be assured this was the case before I displayed my email address. I don't need any more junk mail.

You and your cohorts are doing a great job and I for one will be makeing this my new home.

Keith

Keith Outten
02-13-2003, 10:12 AM
I don't have a final answer for you at this point but I will by the end of the day. I'm almost positive that this software is built with that kind of security but in all fairness I will have to discuss this with the Vendor, Aaron and Ray.

We will make every effort to tighten up on the security for The Creek as much as we can, air tight if possible. As you know we are moving at lightspeed trying to get all the bugs worked out however this topic is the number one priority today. Remember that you can set your profile to disable public viewing of your email address and just use private mail. This procedure will protect your personal email but will not allow anyone from the board to send you messages other than using the private message function here at The Creek.

Jackie Outten
02-13-2003, 3:21 PM
Keith,

After talking to our system administrator, Ray, he says this board has all the latest technology available to protect your email address. However, if you are the least bit concerned about someone getting your email address, then keep your set up as it is and use private messages to correspond with others.

Keith Melick
02-13-2003, 3:55 PM
Thanks Jackie I assumed there would be protection just wanted to be sure. On Badger pond the email address is in every post and I know of no one that had their email address harvested from the Pond.

Great work here and fast responses to questions, Thanks again.

Keith