PDA

View Full Version : Help with Porter Cable Dovetail Jig

Dennis Kelly
01-27-2008, 9:33 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know if the porter cable dovetail jig is only compatible with porter cable routers? I have a hitachi router and the template protection guide does not fit my router base. I need to buy a new router anyways so that the hitachi can stay in the router table permanently. I just wanted to see if this template has worked for others with a different brand router. Thanks!

Dennis

Brad Townsend
01-27-2008, 10:47 PM
It should work with about any router that will take standard Porter-Cable style guides. That includes most routers out of the box (Dewalt, etc.), and the ones that don't (Bosch has their own style for example) can be fitted with bases or adapters that will enable them to use them as well. With minor modification, virtually any router will accept the guides that came with your jig.

Chris Bruno
01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I recently bought the Craftsman VS soft start kit with the 11Amp router that comes with the fixed and plunge bases. It was on sale for $110 and I wanted to dedicate my old router to the table.

The standard base that it comes with matches the porter cable dovetail guide bushing perfectly.

Just another data point for you.

-Chris

Dennis Kelly
01-28-2008, 7:17 AM
Thanks for you responses! I guess I will search for an adaptor to fit my router first, if that doesn't work I will try a new router. Chris, do you find the power sufficient on the Craftsman?

Dennis

Brian Penning
01-28-2008, 8:05 AM
I use a Bosch for mine. The PC adaptor comes with the Bosch 7-Piece Templet Guide Kit.
See the link...http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/boschtmplts.html

Greg Narozniak
01-28-2008, 8:19 AM
Check with Pat Warner. He might have one of his CNC bases that will fit the bill.

Great guy to work with and an amazing product.