PDA

View Full Version : Gouges and other gouges

Chris Barnett
01-27-2008, 9:26 PM
Can a large 3/4 inch bowl gouge be effective in lieu of a roughing gouge?

And what about using the fingernail gouge instead of the standard bowl gouge... any specific merits or faults of the fingernail grind?

And again, regarding the fingernail grind, it appears quite similar to the Ellsworth; can the Ellsworth do as well as the fingernail gouge?

These gouges are quite expensive, so would like to get more information from the experts, before I make a second mistake (first was waiting so long before getting into woodworking :)). Thanks

Chris

Rich Souchek
01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Chris,
Yes, a 3/4" bowl gulge can be used instead of a spindle roughing gouge, but the spindle roughing gouge ususally will take a wider, shallower "bit" and is not directly replaceable.
And under certain circumstances, a fingernail gouge could be used instead of a bowl gouge. The size and shape of the turned object matter the most. A sewing thimble up to an egg cup would work using most detail gouges. It would be slow going, and the detail gouge is often very pointy.
For that matter, a round nose scraper might be a better choice for the egg cup.
Rich S.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-28-2008, 2:58 AM
Hi Chris.

I have all of the above. I was taught pen turning, using a 1-1/2" Roughing gouge. The point being taught was - " you can make small things (within reason) with large tools, but making large things with small tools is VERY inefficient and a pain yoou know where.

I teach and in the first level class I show that you can literally rough with almost anything - roughing gouge, skew, "spindle master, Bowl gouge, and even a Parting tool. That doesn't mean that they are all great at it- they aren't.

To answer your question, if you can only afford one, my suggestion is to get the "Elsworth grind" in a 1/2". It is one of the MOST versital tools there are.

As usual, just my opinion. If you can, go to your local woodworking store and see if you can try it out.

Bruce