PDA

View Full Version : Router Table - Make it or Buy it.

Charles Wilson
01-27-2008, 8:55 PM
Curious as to what you guys and gals do.

I have Norms plans and I have seen some of tables that can be built by ordering parts (see December Popular Woodworking - I think).

Chuck

Lee Koepke
01-27-2008, 9:00 PM
I am going to make my router table replacement.

Personally, it allows me to improve my skills and try out new methods. I can also fit my available space better, and use up some of the "scrap" I have left around.

Jim Becker
01-27-2008, 9:03 PM
IMHO, this is a project that almost everyone should make...and probably more than once, frankly, as needs change and lessons are learned. This is a great project to put skills to use and you can then put more of the cost into better materials and features, rather than into some manufacturer's pocket. (Don't get me wrong, I have no disrespect for the companies that offer router tables...they are addressing an important need from folks who don't have the time to build, etc.) Norm's design, as well as those from folks like Bill Hylton have a lot to offer. And when you build your own, you can customize things to your own needs and desires quite easily, even if you base on an existing design.

Where I gave a second thought this past year is to the top and the fence system. "This time around", I opted for the BenchDog cast iron top setup for my latest router setup. My previous tops were shop-built. Quite satisfactory, but this cast iron setup is the bee's knees! LOL

Jim O'Dell
01-27-2008, 9:18 PM
Definately build your own. I've just finished building mine, and I learned a lot. Wish I had had the new dovetail bits and I would have done dovetail drawers. Guess I could still change them out, but I most likely will go on to the next project for the shop. If you build your own, you can make the changes that Jim B. talked about, and most importantly, for me, was to be able to build the top the size I wanted it for the 25" Incra LS fence I had already purchased. You may decide to build your own fence. There are so many options. Personalize yours!. Jim.

Charles Wilson
01-27-2008, 9:27 PM
Jim,

No pics, didn't happen. :)

Chuck

glenn bradley
01-27-2008, 9:31 PM
Like many, I bought the top and fence and then built the cabinet. If there is a fence that you like and don't care to build one it would be easy to adapt your own-made table to the fence but I'd have it in my hands before I finalized my design ;-)

Jim Broestler
01-27-2008, 9:32 PM
I think it was the December 07 Woodworker's Journal you're referring to. It had three table setups with complete supplier and price listings for all the parts (all sold by Rockler, of course!). Problem is, after finding a good cabinet table plan (in Bill Hylton's Woodworking With the Router book), I figured out the cost, and building at least the cabinet on your own is a big time savings over buying outright (at least $400). That more than pays for both the router and mounting plate.

I did decide though to go with a custom built Woodpecker top. I'm still kinda amateurish, and the thought of going through all the trouble of making a top just to booger up the routing required to cut the plate opening - something you've gotta get just right, with only one shot - persuaded me to let someone else to that work. The fence I'll make myself though, again going with Hylton's plans (that book is full of plans for router table accessories and jigs you can build yourself from practically scraps, saving lots of money).

So I think there's a happy medium to be found, depending on your level of expertise and the features you want. A mix of shop-built and prefab components seems to be the way most folks go.

Art Mann
01-27-2008, 9:48 PM
Norm's design, as well as those from folks like Bill Hylton have a lot to offer. And when you build your own, you can customize things to your own needs and desires quite easily, even if you base on an existing design.

Couldn't agree more. Since you brought up Bill Hylton, I would like to endorse his comprehensive book on the subject, "Woodworking with the Router". I believe I read that a new edition of this classic work is coming out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That is the ultimate source of just about all my router knowledge.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 9:51 PM
Like many, I bought the top and fence and then built the cabinet. If there is a fence that you like and don't care to build one it would be easy to adapt your own-made table to the fence but I'd have it in my hands before I finalized my design ;-)

I just got done doing the same thing... although I haven't yet purchased the fence. I went with the Woodpecker Table and Aluminum Insert and couldn't be happier. I built a quick and dirty (and surprisingly strong) stand out of jointed and planed 2x4s from the borg. I can always build a nicer stand in the future... and I'd only be out about $15 for the cost of the 2x4s. :D

The best thing about building my own stand is that it's exactly the height I want it to be.

Paul

frank shic
01-27-2008, 9:57 PM
i prefer to make my own. it's like constructing your own lightsaber as a jedi!

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 9:59 PM
i prefer to make my own. it's like constructing your own lightsaber as a jedi!

:D Now that's a good analogy!

Paul

David Weaver
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Make your own. If you want some tips on how to make it good and cheap, get on amazon and get a used copy of Pat Warner's book, called "getting the very best from your router" or something like that.

I did that. I think that including the oak and some bolts to fix the top to the frame I put the table on, I'm into the whole thing for about $50, not including the router, of course. It's dead flat to a starrett edge and if I screw up the top, a $6 piece of 3/4ths MDF and I'm back in business.

Burt Waddell
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Chuck,

I've made several and they worked well. Also I have used some parts for tables and done well with that. My recommendation if go to Leevalley.com and purchase their router table top, fence and sled. You can then build a cabinet of your choice. I have 4 of the veritas tables plus a couple extra fences that I used for a door making setup. One of the tables have been in a horizontal router table setup for about 8 years. This is standing on edge and support a 3 horse router. It is still in super condition.

Burt

Mike Cutler
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Charles

Make your own, definitely. Take your time and do one right, and you won't regret it
My router table is 4'x2', dead flat, built like a tank, and heavy as all get out. It flat out does not move at all. The fence has a 4" DC pickup and works beautifully.
Most of the stuff I've done has been long, wide, heavy tropical hardwoods, and a store bought router table would not have done it. In retrospect, I would have been better off with a shaper.

The BenchDog top that Jim Becker refers to his post is worth much more than a passing look. True, it's pretty expensive, but knowing that your router table is dead flat and the bit is perfectly perpindicular to the table top can be important down the line.
I probably won't build another router table, I'll most likely move up to a shaper, but if I do that BenchDog top will be the heart of it.

Mike Heidrick
01-27-2008, 11:09 PM
I kinda did both I guess (build/buy). I bought the Incra LS fence, PRL, 5625, dust cabinet, and table from Woodpecker because it was on clearence. I then made the frame from parts of an old computer terminal modular (Write Line brand) unit from our Data Center from work and cut a Jet mobile base in half and bolted it to the end. I sized the height of it to be an outfeed table for my sawstop at the router end. Then I made the shelf on the bottom from 1/2" plywood and laminated it from clearence laminate at Menards. Then added the toolboxes that are ball bearing drawer models that were clearenced from Farm and Fleet. The square cast iron end opposite the router table was a freebie from a buddy and the table stradling the fence holding the planer is a monitor stand. I have since moved the vice over and added an 200lb anvil as well. So the one table is a router table, vise, anvil, small planer, out feed table and storage unit all movable on casters and the same size as my sawstop - and black to match. This is my second router table.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/shop7.jpg

As to the shaper and router table decision, I have a shaper and still use my router table as well. I just own more bits for the router table and I love the fence. The shaper is awesome but for little jobs I can setup and run them far easier than if I have to change out my spindles or setup my cutters. I just need more practice with my shaper.

Chuck Lenz
01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Curious as to what you guys and gals do.

I have Norms plans and I have seen some of tables that can be built by ordering parts (see December Popular Woodworking - I think).

Chuck
It depends on what you want to spend. If your on a budget, and time is a factor, buy one premade. I built a benchtop router table and I ended up spending alot more than I had planned on, and it took awhile, but, I got what I wanted.

Bill Huber
01-28-2008, 1:57 AM
There are so many ifs it is really hard to say what you should do.

I had a little Bosch table and used it from about a year this gave me some great information as to what I wanted in a router table.

I wanted a fence that was strong and easy to work with as to adding stops and adjusting, good T slots. I wanted a table that was flat and smooth and would stay flat.

Once I knew what I wanted in a table I looked around until I found the fence and table I like. I got a Jessem table and fence which I am really happy with.

Like others I bought the table and the fence and built the cabinet. This let me set the cabinet up the way I wanted.

Alex Elias
01-28-2008, 4:00 AM
I made mine and it was the best thing I could have done. It is a lot bigger than what I need (for 2 routers) but definetly worth making your own. Less money and you make it just the way you want it

Anthony Whitesell
01-28-2008, 8:24 AM
I'm not going to saw which is best, but I'll point out some things to consider:

Buying:
1. Faster. You buy it and use it
2. Cost. You'll have to add that up yourself. May cost more or less.
3. Fit #1. When you choose a lift your stuck trying to find a top that fits it. Not all lifts are the same size and therefore not fully interchangable between top. You could make it fit, if you want to take a router to the newly purchased table top to enlarge the opening. If the opening is too large, then your out of louck.
4. Fit #2. Your limited to the sizes, shapes, and layouts that the manufacturers make.

Build your own.
1. Slower. You'll have to spend the time making it. Contact cement and formica are not that hard to work with. I just finished my first router top this weekend.
2. Cost. May cost more or may cost less, but that will depend on what you want to put into it.
3. Fit #1. Choose the lift and then cut your own hole with out taking a router to a newly purchased $100+ item.
4. Fit #2. You can customize the shape, size, and layout to your shop and to your equipment (Incra Jigs require rectangular table with the router offset to one end)
5. Replaceable. Once you've done it one, the second will be easier.

I built my own, and I'm definately not sorry I did. It's sized to fit may shop (larger than the Rockler offset top and small than the next larger top I found) and looks great.

For those that want a photo. I only have the top done.

Mike Kelly
01-28-2008, 9:43 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5593

Here is an older link with a few pictures and ideas to consider.

Dan Clark
01-28-2008, 9:56 AM
Chuck,

It depends on your budget, time available, what you want do with it, and whether you know the exact features you need.

One problem with accepting someone else's recommendations is those recommendations are based on someone else's needs. There are lots of great options for other people that might not match your needs very well.

I took a couple of router courses at Woodcraft. I asked the instructor about a router. He said, "Make a simple one. Use it and learn." He wasn't being rude; he was being realistic.

If make one quickly with a simple Baltic Birch top and something to support it, you won't spend much time or money but you can start using is now. You will quickly learn what YOU like and don't like about it. Then you can design or buy a router table that fits your needs BASED ON EXPERIENCE.

One enhancement that I added was that I bought a Woodpecker aluminum plate: http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html. IMO, it's a good investment for a cheap table that can be transferred to a good table in the future.

Regards,

Dan.

Tom Zielinski
01-28-2008, 1:15 PM
Since I was building a new base for my contractors TS. I added in an extention wing with a built in router table. For me it works for space and was a good learning project.

Doug Rogers
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I just bought the Sommerfeld router table top and fence system at the Woodworking Show. Both are huge and weigh a ton. They are constucted out of extruded aluminum. The top is 27 x 31 1/2 and the fench is 6" high and 4' long. The Triton routers bolt right to the top. There are three inserts to cover the bit hole.

The plan is to put it together and rest it on saw horses. Then use the router to make the Sommerfeld tongue and groove cabinet. Pictures to follow once this monster takes shape.

Doug Rogers

Steven Wilson
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I built a Norm style cabinet and added a Bench Dog top and fence.

scott spencer
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I've made a couple Charles. It's a good project....I always learn alot and save alot. Put the saved money towards some wood or new router bits! :D