PDA

View Full Version : Which Bandsaw Fence Do You Use?

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 8:23 PM
I'm just about ready to buy the Kreg Bandsaw Fence for my Delta 14" Bandsaw.

Before I order it, I thought I'd see what you guys were using and what your likes and dislikes are.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Jeffrey Makiel
01-27-2008, 8:45 PM
I checked out the Kreg fence at a woodworking show about 2 years ago. I was not that impressed. When the demonstrator walked away, I reached over and wiggled the fence at the end. It moved quite a bit.

I bought a JET fence as a replacement/upgrade part via Amazon. They make them for different size tables for their saws, but can easily be modified to fit any saw, as I did with mine. Two years later, and I still like it.

-Jeff :)

Don Abele
01-27-2008, 8:47 PM
Paul, out of curiosity, what's wrong with your current fence? I have the Jet 14" closed stand with a riser block. It has the stock fence on it and I've never had any problems with it what so ever. I recently upgraded pretty much everything else (guides, tires, tension spring) and added the quick release. But the fence is fine.

This is what was stock on my bandsaw, Amazon sells them as an aftermarket for $55.

Be well,

Doc

Charles Wilson
01-27-2008, 8:52 PM
I have an old USA made Delta and think that the fence that is on it is kind of crappy. I was looking for an upgrade for this as well and was considering the Kreg. Suggestions?

Chuck

glenn bradley
01-27-2008, 8:55 PM
I run the fence that came on my saw.
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/h/h7588.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7588/images/)

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 8:58 PM
Paul, out of curiosity, what's wrong with your current fence? I have the Jet 14" closed stand with a riser block. It has the stock fence on it and I've never had any problems with it what so ever. I recently upgraded pretty much everything else (guides, tires, tension spring) and added the quick release. But the fence is fine.

This is what was stock on my bandsaw, Amazon sells them as an aftermarket for $55.

Be well,

Doc

My Delta didn't come with one. :)

Paul

Jeffrey Makiel
01-27-2008, 9:00 PM
Glenn...that looks like a Grizzly fence. What I don't understand is that the fence can only be to the left of the blade.

When ripping beveled stock, it's nice to have a fence that will work on the right of the blade. It sort of cradles the stock in the "vee groove" that the table and fence make when tilted.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 9:05 PM
I run the fence that came on my saw.
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/h/h7588.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7588/images/)

My table is a hair over 16"... I don't think Grizzly has one that'll fit. (I guess I should have mentioned that to begin with. :) I have a Delta 28-276)

I like that fence a lot, so it's a bit disappointing. :(

Paul

M Toupin
01-27-2008, 9:22 PM
Got two Kregs, happy with both of them.

Mike

14" Walker turner
16" Walker Turner

Charles Wilson
01-27-2008, 9:26 PM
Mike

Do you find the Kreg's to be sturdy when locked into place?

I find that the fence that came with the Delta deflects quite a bit when you go to tighten it down. Why does this happen?

Chuck

glenn bradley
01-27-2008, 9:26 PM
Glenn...that looks like a Grizzly fence. What I don't understand is that the fence can only be to the left of the blade.

When ripping beveled stock, it's nice to have a fence that will work on the right of the blade. It sort of cradles the stock in the "vee groove" that the table and fence make when tilted.

True, you can only get about 4-3/4" to the right of the blade. It is primarily for the left.

glenn bradley
01-27-2008, 9:29 PM
My table is a hair over 16"... I don't think Grizzly has one that'll fit. (I guess I should have mentioned that to begin with. :) I have a Delta 28-276)

I like that fence a lot, so it's a bit disappointing. :(

Paul

Sorry, my post may have been inappropriate. An aftermarket will serve you better. Grizzly's are available seperate but the fit would be by luck. Many people praise the Kreg which looks really solid.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 9:34 PM
Sorry, my post may have been inappropriate. An aftermarket will serve you better. Grizzly's are available seperate but the fit would be by luck. Many people praise the Kreg which looks really solid.

Inappropriate? Not at all Glenn! Honestly, I didn't even know Grizzly sold them separately. They do look very nice though.

Paul

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 9:41 PM
Mike

Do you find the Kreg's to be sturdy when locked into place?

I find that the fence that came with the Delta deflects quite a bit when you go to tighten it down. Why does this happen?

Chuck

Charles,

That's really the only thing that's kept me from buying one. I've read many reviews that said it's rock solid. I've also heard quite a few people say it has an unacceptable amount of deflection. However, I have yet to see anyone define what "unacceptable amount of deflection" is, so I don't know if they mean 0.005" or 1/4".

I've got a bunch of resawing to do and don't want fence deflection to mess anything up.

Hmm. Just thought of something. I could always place a clamp just behind the end of the fence to keep it from going anywhere if the deflection is indeed bad.

Paul

Michael Gibbons
01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I have the Delta fence that came with it when I bought it. I had purchased the Deluxe edition and the fence, mobile base and blade came with it. I was watching Mark Duginskes dvd and wished my fence had the fine tuning knob for slight adjustments like his did.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I have the Delta fence that came with it when I bought it. I had purchased the Deluxe edition and the fence, mobile base and blade came with it. I was watching Mark Duginskes dvd and wished my fence had the fine tuning knob for slight adjustments like his did.

Was it the Kreg fence? It's all over the latest edition of his book.

Paul

Norman Pyles
01-28-2008, 3:17 AM
I have the Kreg, and it's a good fence. It will move a little if you grab the end, but I don't do that when I am sawing, so it's not an issue with me.:)

Chris Rosenberger
01-28-2008, 7:54 AM
I have use the Kreg fences. I am very happy with them.

Curt Harms
01-28-2008, 8:48 AM
I use the fence that came with the Rikon 10-325. It doesn't easily adjust for drift, but [touch wood] I haven't really had to. It uses a "stub" to which faces are attached. I use the fence that came with it and also made up a 6" high resaw fence. I did find that the resaw fence didn't exactly parallel the blade. No problem, move the fence up to the blade, tilt the table til the fence is parallel to the blade and tighten the table. It was off maybe a couple degrees. I suspect You might be able to do the same thing with the Grizzly fence. I like being able to use the either side of the fence on either side of the blade.80246 A handy feature of the Rikon fence is the ability to use it as a "high-low" fence sort of like the Unifence.

Standard T Track works with the attach points so it's easy to make custom fences if desired. It would take some doing to use this fence on a non-Rikon saw but might give someone some ideas.

HTH

Curt

Todd Bin
01-28-2008, 9:23 AM
I'm just about ready to buy the Kreg Bandsaw Fence for my Delta 14" Bandsaw.

Paul

Hello Paul, I have the Kregg on my Delta 14" bandsaw. It was easy to install and works great. It has bolts that allow you to adjust for drift. If you are going to be resawing wide boards (i.e. 8") you will need to build a taller auxillary fence to mount to the Kregg. But you will pretty much have to do that with any fence.

Curt Taylor
01-28-2008, 9:37 AM
I have the Kerg fence on a 14" Delta and haven't had any problems with it at all. Not sure how much deflection others are seeing from this fence but if mine is deflecting when in use, resawing, etc. it sure doesn't show in the end result.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a lot of folks like the Kreg. Perhaps my opinion was too harsh.

Happy hunting!

Paul Fitzgerald
01-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Well it looks like the size of my table has limited me to very few choices. Although the Grizzly, Jet, and other fences look pretty good (much better than the Delta I'm trying to avoid), none seem to work with a 16"x16" table.

Since there are so many positive responses regarding the Kreg, I decided to go ahead and order one. From what I've been reading... if the fence exhibits any deflection at all, it won't be enough to negatively impact cut quality.

Thanks for the info fellow creekers!

Paul

John Bailey
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I think you'll really like your Kreg fence. However, I think Grizzly has a fence to fit 16" tables.

John

Paul Fitzgerald
01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
I think you'll really like your Kreg fence. However, I think Grizzly has a fence to fit 16" tables.

John

John,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Grizzly catalog only lists the H7587 (14"), H7588 (17" to 17-1/2"), and H7589 (19" to 19-1/2").

Paul

David Weaver
01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Stock Jet JWBS-18X T-square style fence with a removable "resaw bar", or whatever you'd call it. I really like it. Works very well as a basic t-square style for ripping, and the resaw bar plus a grip-tite (any featherboard that works in a t-slot would be fine, too) makes resawing very easy.

Dave Lewis
01-29-2008, 9:26 PM
I bought and installed the Kreg on a 14" Rockwell. It does not wiggle under a typ. load.

The adjustments are easy and instructions straight-forward.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-29-2008, 9:49 PM
I received the Kreg fence today and installed it on my Delta 28-276 Bandsaw. I couldn't be happier! It works beautifully!

The fence does flex if you push on the end hard enough, but I couldn't move it more than an 1/8" and I was pushing pretty dang hard. Like Dave said, under typical load, the fence holds steady and I can't imagine it would EVER cause a problem while making a cut. It's extremely sturdy and very well put together.

Thanks!

Paul