PDA

View Full Version : New tool gloat: Bench Dog

Ken Shoemaker
01-27-2008, 6:52 PM
I worked most of the week-end perfecting this Bench Dog Router Lift.

First I'd like to thank two fellow Creekers. Bruce Page, for his expert "technical assistance" which made this possible. Also, Bill Hubner who's post of a similar project gave me the idea.

Once I got the router table and the lift set, I built the enclosure to fit a small edge that "sealed" the box. I attached the dust port so I could force the filtered exhaust from a shop vac into the box to keep dust and chips from getting into the box. I think this will keep the enclosure completly clean and the PC7815 router motor cooler.

It should be noted that I used 14-20 screw extensions to hold the box tighly to the bottom of the table. Very clean and easy to get it off with minimum effort.

If ya'll excuse me, I'm off to make some sawdust..... Thanx for looking

Barry Lloyd
01-27-2008, 8:00 PM
Very nice set up Ken. I have heard good things about the quality and finish of the Bench Dog extension wing. What was your impression? I'm low on available floor space and my current Bench Dog router table is taking up 5-6 sq feet I could reclaim if I went with the extension wing. I was trying to figure out how to best control both noise and dust with the router mounted like that. That is a great idea you came up with and a nice execution of it as well. Glad to hear you are off enjoying it....;)

Barry

Walt Caza
01-27-2008, 8:05 PM
Congrats Ken!
Nice set-up, that should prove a valuable addition to your woodshop.
I would like to know how well the d/c works. Give it a good workout,
and let us know down the road how you like your router lift!
Waiting for an update,
Walt
:)

Ken Shoemaker
01-27-2008, 8:10 PM
Barry,

I'm the first to admit that this Bench Dog set up is EXPENSIVE. I can also say, I got what I paid for and en some. The Bench Dog is extreamly well built and attention to detail is outstanding.

I have saved tons of floor space, have the ability to use the TS fence, and extended that side of the saw by another 6 ".

Anyone who owns a LN handplane knows quality, and Bench Dog, IMHO is right on par with that quality.

Bench Dog = OUTSTANDING, Highly Recomended.

Russ Massery
01-27-2008, 9:00 PM
Ken, Looks like a Sweet setup, congrats

Jeffrey Makiel
01-27-2008, 9:05 PM
Ken...for a while I was considering a lift for my router table since my big belly gets in the way when I bend down :). However, I just can't justify the effort to rebuild my decent table. But, if I did, the bench dog was top on my list. As per your pics, it really does look like a beefy unit.

Thanks for posting. Now I'm on the fence again! :)

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
01-27-2008, 9:16 PM
Excellent setup, Ken!!

Bruce Page
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Very cool Ken. I already had Bill Hubner’s box on my to do list and yours makes me want to get after it all the more. I spent part of yesterday making 4 new throat plates for my bench dog out of Lexan.

Chuck Lenz
01-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I worked most of the week-end perfecting this Bench Dog Router Lift.
Nice job Ken, but ya really need to do something about that dust port on the table saw.

Ken Shoemaker
01-28-2008, 5:52 AM
Chuck,
Not sure what you mean about the TS dust port.... What's your suggestion???

I'm leaving alot of pipe so I can pull the saw out in the center of the floor and atttach an outfeed table when needed. It also helps a ton when I'm sweeping up.

Any suggestions would be helpful... Ken

Ron Williams
01-28-2008, 7:37 AM
I've got that setup mounted to the shaper. Works great

Ken Shoemaker
02-03-2008, 9:11 AM
I did a huge test drive yesteday.

When I hooked up the vac and turned it on, the pressure coming up from the box was tremendous. I was sure I was an engineering genious.

Hooked up the shop vac and "let her rip". I expected the box to be spotless due to the filtered exhauste air, from the shop vac being pushed into the box. That positive pressure would not let ANYTHING fall down in there. Then with the intake air pulling the dust from the fence......

Now, I hhad once heard the woodworking has MANY ways to humble the novice. This is true. I got WAY more dust in the box than I expected. I could lauch a golf ball thru the drop ceiling with the air pressure from the Bench Dog hole but the dust keeps falling in there...

I'm going back down to try to diagnose the problem. I think I'm "right there" but am missing something. I'll check back from time to time to see if anyone has any suggestion or input.

TIA ......... Ken

Tim Marks
02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't all the air coming through the top hole also send all of the dust created by the router bit airborne, kind of the backwards effect of what you are trying to do with dust collection? Even with the router fence collecting some of the dust, I think it would be less then effective.

Ken Shoemaker
02-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Tim, I got a 6.5hp vac from the Borg. The fence is sucking so hard it creats a suction of the stock agaist the fence. It is better than a feather board.

Lots of suckin' and blowin' going on. Just can't figure out why the dust is still getting into the box and by default, onto the router motor.

I think I'm going to have to try to get a clear plexiglass panel to replace the door so I can observe the airflow with everthing running.

I'll continue with the research and get back to you.

Don Bullock
02-03-2008, 2:19 PM
Ken, that Bench Dog table and lift really looks heavy duty. Congratulations.

Ken Shoemaker
02-04-2008, 8:22 AM
Don,
That thing is built like a tamk. The set up is so easy even I can do it. Outstanding design, fit, and finish. Costly as heck, but you get what you pay for. I really love it. Now I need some bits with the same quality.