PDA

View Full Version : Arched Door templates and holding jig

Russell Tribby
01-27-2008, 3:02 PM
I'm going to have to make some arched raised panel cabinet doors for a customer in a couple of weeks. I don't own any templates yet and I'm looking for recommendations. I've looked at Infinity's, Rockler's and Sommerfeld's. Should I stick with the plastic templates or will MDF be okay? I'm also looking for any insight you guys have on a good small parts jig that I can use to hold rails. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Fred Voorhees
01-27-2008, 3:35 PM
I own and have used Sommerfelds templates and they work well. Just my 2 cents.

frank shic
01-27-2008, 5:04 PM
MDF will work fine as long as you're careful when you adjust the flush trimming bit so that it does not BITE into the MDF template. use a bessey clamp to hold the smaller parts while you're running it through the router table.

Steve Roxberg
01-27-2008, 8:42 PM
I'm shopping for the same items but am currently leaning towards Woodhaven. You would checked theirs out?

Steve Clardy
01-27-2008, 9:14 PM
I use the plastic templates.

I custom fit handles onto them, using 1 1/2" closet dowel rods cut 5" long,
screwed on from the bottom.

Russell Tribby
01-28-2008, 8:58 AM
Steve, did you do that to all the templates or did you drill holes in all of them and switch out the handles when needed? If I remember correctly the Sommerfeld templates have pre-drilled holes so that you can use brad nails to attach the template to the work piece. Is that right? I like your solution. It would keep me from getting templates and a separate jig to hold them.

Steve Clardy
01-28-2008, 9:08 AM
Russel. That particular set, I have handles on all of the templates.