PDA

View Full Version : Made a jig - forgot what it's good for.

Mitchell Andrus
01-27-2008, 1:00 PM
Cleaning up a bit this weekend (bad, bad thing to do, I know). I came across a rather elaborate jig a few years old. A few clamps, markings, stops...

... NO IDEA what I made it for. So, I'm keeping it in case I ever need it again.

Greg Heppeard
01-27-2008, 1:24 PM
As soon as you tear it down for parts, you'll realize what it was for and need it really bad. At least that's the way my luck goes

Richard M. Wolfe
01-27-2008, 2:43 PM
I made a couple jigs to use in tandem for a specialized cutout. I know just where they are.....but danged if I can remember how to use them. Oh well, should keep me occupied for a half day if I ever need to use them again. :o

glenn bradley
01-27-2008, 4:08 PM
Digital camera . .. the cure for my aging mind ;-) Of course, I'd probably lose the pics.

Michael Gibbons
01-27-2008, 4:45 PM
Never thought to write the name and description on the jig, Huh?? Mitchell, can you post a pic ? We'll have a "what is it" guessing game.

Mitchell Andrus
01-27-2008, 6:11 PM
Never thought to write the name and description on the jig, Huh?? Mitchell, can you post a pic ? We'll have a "what is it" guessing game.

Nope, and no. I might unwittingly give up a trade secret. So secret, even I don't.... uuum.

Peter Stahl
01-28-2008, 6:43 AM
Nope, and no. I might unwittingly give up a trade secret. So secret, even I don't.... uuum.

You need to seek help for this.

Michael Gibbons
01-28-2008, 8:24 AM
Alright Mitchell, I read your signature, so post a pic of your shop. It is written-you must.

mark page
01-28-2008, 10:44 AM
After reading several of Mitchell's last posts, I have come to the conclusion that he may be "hitting the sauce or the pharmaceuticals a little hard lately.":D

Mitchell Andrus
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
After reading several of Mitchell's last posts, I have come to the conclusion that he may be "hitting the sauce or the pharmaceuticals a little hard lately.":D

The men in the white jackets are busting down the door as we speak... I've been hitting the computer really hard - I love my website, but the constant updates, images, products.... Scrambles my brain.

I'm feeling better now.... Really.

Mitchell Andrus
01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Alright Mitchell, I read your signature, so post a pic of your shop. It is written-you must.

No. It's a small one man shop and it's a mess.

About the only tools Norm has that I don't... a lathe and the wide belt sander. Some of mine are better than Norm's. The film crew is optional.

Gotta remember, it's a production shop. I turned out almost 700 pieces last year.

Chris Padilla
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Mitchell,

No pic of the jig; jig doesn't exist. That makes it real simple for you! ;)

It might be kind of fun to do a "What's that jig?" kind of along the lines of "What's that?" that they do on "Ask This Old House".

Michael Gibbons
01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Where's Tyler? Mr. pic police himself?

Lee Schierer
01-28-2008, 1:38 PM
I need to write on my jigs what they are for too. Not that I've forgotten...yet, but you never know what might happen. I have several really neat looking jigs that belonged to my father. I have no idea what they do or even what tool you would use them on. We could play guess that jig with them, but then I wouldn't know if any of the answers were right or not.

Chris Padilla
01-28-2008, 2:51 PM
That's okay, Lee. I say go ahead and start a thread...could be interesting!